kvarkrn

2 years post op and NEED HELP!

22 posts in this topic

I am exactly 2 years and 2 weeks post op and I am failing miserably. I NEVER reached a goal or even close to it. I started at 361 and my lowest was 259. I am now back up to 299. As long as I was losing, I was motivated, enthusiastic and enjoyed the process. But every time I'd plateau, I'd fall off the wagon for a month and then have to hit restart. Problem is I have had problems since we took a 2 week family vacation last June and I have never gotten back on track, hence my 40 lb gain. I have a trainer that I continue to pay to see, 3 times a week, but I often cancel, "hide" or avoid him, despite his true interest and desire to get me healthy. 

So, when I hit my 2 year surgiversary, I had decided that I'M DONE. But I am finding that with decreasing portions and snacks, I am feeling hunger pains! I thought I was never going to have those again?!?! So I do great all day and then crash from a lack of carbs, etc in the evening and then I cheat. So, I read a lot about going back to clear liquids...will this work? Will the feeling of fullness come back after only eating a small portion of food? Because I have found that I can eat way more than I should. And I'm a nurse!!! I know what's good to eat and not good. And the anatomy of my surgical procedure.

I just would like any advice that any of you WSL grads can offer. I am back with my trainer and dedicated to 3 days a week with him and 2-3 days cardio on my own. I never thought the exercise would be the easy part. But I need to know how to get my head and tummy back in the game. 

Thanks!

Kristin

WSL date 1/10/12

361/299/165

Hi Kristin, I am only a couple of months out from surgery, so I don't have experience with this, but I have read that you can "reset" your pouch.  Take a look at the 5 day pouch test website: http://www.5daypouchtest.com/

Also, are you tracking what you eat?  You may want to start logging the calories you consume as this can help you plan your meals so that they are more satisfying.  Make sure you are getting at least 60-80 grams of protein each day, don't drink 30 minutes before or after you eat, and make sure you get in at least 64 oz of water per day.

One last thought, when I did my 14 day pre-op diet, I was on liquid protein shakes (4-5 per day), I was hungry for the first few days, but after that, I didn't feel hungry at all.  I lost about 15lbs in those two weeks and it prepared me for me new eating habits post-op.  

Please presevere.  Your pouch is an excellent tool and you can reach your goal!  Good luck! 

Get back on the plan, protein shuts off hunger. Measure everything, maybe get a Fitbit and use myfitnesspal. You can do this! We're all here because we want it to work, and from time to time, I think we're all terrified that it won't.

I wish more folks would post their success pix, they're very inspirational and encouraging. It's a support group, everybody wants you to get where you want to go. Keep your eyes on the prize!

GAviv, bellamoma, angel0524 and 1 other like this

I don't think you should do clear liquids or the 5 day pouch test. These options reinforce the diet mentality- you are trying to learn to eat in real life, indefinitely. As tmcgee said- protein. Personally, I'd just focus on protein and getting off the junk food. Don't count your calories at this point, just eat protein every few hours until you've killed the carb monster. Clearly you need some carbs since you are crashing but eat vegetables or fruit, not junk. I read on here someone who needed to get back on track did so by eating peanuts in replacement of junk. Peanuts may not be the healthiest option but they may satisfy the need to eat. 

Good luck to you. We all know how hard this is. I always remind myself that eating one thing I shouldn't doesn't mean I need to spend my day eating things I shouldn't. Eat it and continue moving forward with the healthier options.

tmcgee likes this

Kim23 - Have you actually read the pouch test?  It basicly just takes you back to the the beginning of your post-op eating habits to help you get back on track.  Also, recording the foods you eat can be eye opening.  Often, we don't realize how many calories and fat we are actually consuming.  I know personally, recording what I eat (or what I plan to eat) has really helped me to make smarter decisions about the way I use my calories.  The bottom line is, if you eat more calories than your body uses, you will gain weight... even if you eat a lot of protein.

Yes, I have read the 5 day pouch test. IMO it just seems like the days of dieting "oh no I gained weight and now need to go on a strict diet to get on track and lose this weight". Me, and likely everyone here, has been there 1,000 times. It seems better to me to learn how to eat in a way you can maintain for life. Eating a diet high in protein can certainly cause weight gain if calories in exceed calories expended, but more than likely the OP's problem is not to much protein, but too many carbs. Eating more protein fills us quicker and reduces cravings. 

Yes, I have read the 5 day pouch test. IMO it just seems like the days of dieting "oh no I gained weight and now need to go on a strict diet to get on track and lose this weight". Me, and likely everyone here, has been there 1,000 times. It seems better to me to learn how to eat in a way you can maintain for life. Eating a diet high in protein can certainly cause weight gain if calories in exceed calories expended, but more than likely the OP's problem is not to much protein, but too many carbs. Eating more protein fills us quicker and reduces cravings. 

Well of course you are entitled to your opinion.  Personally, I see nothing wrong with taking a brief step back for five short days to reevaluate where my weight loss plan derailed, which is the intended purpose of the exercise.  It is pretty close to the same plan my doctor and nutritionist gave me post-op.  This is a lifestyle change after all.  If you go back to eating the way you did prior to surgery, you are setting yourself up for failure in the long term.  Agreed that eating more protein and less carbs will result in satiety for a longer period of time. Most likely, there is also a need to reduce overall caloric intake.  

Happy-Camper, bellamoma and GAviv like this

They are both right, actually.  The 5 day pouch test is an EXCELLENT tool to get back on track if you fell off the wagon.  It cleans out your system and gives you the mental motivation to "start over" with a clean slate. 

I was going to post about the 5 day pouch test, but she beat me to it!  I've done it after a long stall and it worked like a charm.  After you get back on track, then you can re-start with adding extra protein in and eliminating bad carbs.  Protein will fill you up and in the evenings when you have hunger, eat protein and only protein.  No snacks.

you can do this!  I have faith in you!  If you are unsure about your sleeve, make an appointment with your surgeon and have him go in and take a look to make sure all is well.

tmcgee and angel0524 like this

I'm not sure where people get the idea they will never feel hunger again.  Never is a very long time  :P  No, I haven't really in a year but I expect it to come back at some point - tomorrow, next month, next year, 3 years from now.....who knows.  Yes sleeve are less likely to or go for longer time without the feeling, but never is such a loaded word lol. 

Our bodies adapt to the surgery and gets used to the new "portions" and routine you do.  Just like in bypass folks their 'shortened' intestines re-grow the villa in there and start absorbing stuff better then when they first had surgery.  Our bodies adapt to all this - so it is up to us to keep our bodies in check!

As others have already mentioned - start logging food on something like MFP  so you can literally see how what you are eating a day adds up in calories, protein and carbs.   Here are the "forever guidelines"

Limit meals and snacks to 1/2 to 1 cup (4-8oz).

Eat the correct number of meals and snacks per day:  3 meals with 1 or 2 snacks for Sleeve, 5-6 meals for bypass  (this can be different per dr, so check with yours to see what they want)

Eat protein first and if you have room, add veggies or fruit.

Eat at least 60g protein a day.  Your goal is 60-80 grams daily.

Eat food slowly.  Take at least 20 minutes for each meal.

Chew foods well.  Do not swallow a piece of food any bigger than the size of a pea.

Stop drinking liquids 15 min before eating solid food.  Do not drink 30 min after eating solid foods.  (and no drinking with food)

Keep a food journal.

Take the correct vitamins and minerals each day.

Keep follow up appointments with your doctor.

Exercise regularily - aim for 150 minutes per week.

And remember just because you can eat more, doesn't mean you need to or should.  This is a battle we will have all our lives.  There is never a point where we can 'just stop the diet'.  Even if you were down to goal weight you still need follow these rules to be successful long term because as you have found, it is easy to slip back into old habits and ways.

Best of l luck to you.  I know you can do it!

Edited by Jolls
marciab30, tmcgee and Happy-Camper like this

I'm not sure where people get the idea they will never feel hunger again.  Never is a very long time  :P  No, I haven't really in a year but I expect it to come back at some point - tomorrow, next month, next year, 3 years from now.....who knows.  

This is the thought that terrifies me. I like not having an appetite and I also like having that "I'm full" switch. The longer it stays like this, the easier it is for me to stay on track.  I am a terrible accountant and can't manage to track food for more than a day or two -- the good part is that when I do, I'm accurate about it and so far there have been no surprises. 

Happy-Camper likes this

Read the book why we get fat by Gary Taubes. It was a life changer for me, just wish I had read it before I had surgery.

tmcgee likes this

Read the book why we get fat by Gary Taubes. It was a life changer for me, just wish I had read it before I had surgery.

There's a 22 page summary version on amazon for $3. It basically says to not eat carbohydrates because they boost insulin and insulin makes us fat. It also says that some people are less sensitive to this than others. Pretty much the same thing many people here are saying.

Edited by tmcgee

I am not post op yet but I am a nurse also and I would highly highly highly recommend to go see your NUT ASAP!  I have become friends with my NUT what I work with at the hospital and she is such a great source of support! 

Good Luck and check in here every few days to read the support these wonderful people give!

xoxoxo

Amber

marciab30 likes this

I am 2 years, 4 months out and I am pretty happy with my results.  From day 1 I have recorded virtually everything that I eat and I have execised at least 4 days a week since I was 3 months post-op.  I think definately recording everything that you eat will help.  The apps available on smart phones are awesome.  They calculate calories, protein, sugars, fats, carbs... pretty much everything you need to watch.   I have not lost any weight in the past year but still hold onto the hope of losing that last 30. 

Kristin,

I am a year and 9 months out from my VSG, and I have blown it. I am nowhere near goal. I am about 45 lbs below my pre-surgery weight and need to lose 70 more to reach goal. I haven't followed up with my NUT, I stopped measuring portions and keeping track of what I eat, I don't drink enough water, and I haven't exercised either. In short, I've done everything exactly wrong, and have no one to blame but myself.

Reading this post has motivated me to get my a** back in gear. Tonight I'm ordering my FitBit and tomorrow I go back on protein shakes, measuring and recording what I eat, drinking water, and limiting carbs. I don't even remember how much I'm supposed to be eating. Guess I better make an appointment to see the NUT. No more sweet tea for me either, unless it's artificially sweetened. Hopefully I haven't stretched my sleeve out beyond repair.

I'm always hungry. I thought it was just head hunger, but my stomach growls....a lot. Does anyone else get like this?

tinydancer likes this

I am 18 months post surgery ... weight loss WAS stalled

AM LOSING WEIGHT AGAIN!!

How??? Glucomannan.

It is a natural appetite suppressant.

I am back eating 3 small meals a day.

Not 6

I drink lots ... decaf and iced tea with each dose.

My hunger pains are GONE!

It took a few days to kick in but it works and is all natural!

how to get my head and tummy back in the game3.jpg

Edited by A4ugua5tr

I am 18 months post surgery ... weight loss WAS stalled

AM LOSING WEIGHT AGAIN!!

How??? Glucomannan.

It is a natural appetite suppressant.

I am back eating 3 small meals a day.

Not 6

I drink lots ... decaf and iced tea with each dose.

My hunger pains are GONE!

It took a few days to kick in but it works and is all natural!

Yikes.  I don't know what form you're taking, but in a solid tablet form, this can cause intestinal blockage.  Be careful.

uwsgirlie and marciab30 like this

Actually taking powder in a capsule. Has not caused any issues. Am as regular as can be. Its the only thing that CALMS my hunger. Yes I can eat small meals ...... but 5 or 6 of them a day was defeating the reason for the surgery. Am safely back to eating 1200 to 1500 calories a day a losing weight at a nice gradual pace. REMINDER drinks lots of fluid!!! Water - decaf- tea ... whatever works.

It might not be for every one but for me its put me back on the weight loss route easily.

I do take Kriss Swiss once a day no matter what (colon cancer runs in my family) for preventive reasons. A completely natural product from WholeFoods.

Wait you eat 1200 to 1500 calories and you are losing weight.  I'm  2 years 5 months out and I'm not losing anymore. My doc still says under 1000 to lose. I'm so lost idk what todo

I'm 5 years post vsg and I have gained due to pregnancy. and yes I can eat more than in the beginning and yes the hunger and cravings do return.  but if you stick to protein first and  then veggies last thing carbs you will lose.  I track my food and some weeks I do better than others but it keeps me honest with myself of what I'm putting into my body.  you are going to plateau sometimes more often then others. when working out vigorously my nut told me to add more protein and carbs. it was scary to be eating 1200 to 1500 calories when working out but you have to have fuel to burn.  you can lose the weight you just have to be honest with yourself and when you get off track don't stay there go back and start again.  as for the pouch test never tried it so wouldn't know if it helps or not if I eat slower and pay attention the restriction is still there I just have to slow down enough to notice. you can do this you just have to get back to basics water, protein and track your food. it truly does help. 

I'm trying to lose baby weight now. I didn't give too much thought aftER the baby due to surgical post cesarean problems but I'm on 1000 calories a day but I don't work out. when I do begin to work out more I will track my food and add 200 to 400 more calories so I don't feel starved. :) good luck 

Posted (edited)

You sound like your on a diet and fighting it all the way. The sleeve is to get away from that and remember in life we might have days we crave a unhealthy treat so allow it. You be shock to find out that with permission you might just have a half a cookie than the 6 you try to avoid but end up eating when dieting.

Try to stick to a healthy diet "routine" that becomes your habit.....like eggs in morning..cottage for lunch..I put a lot of the Atkins vanilla shake in my coffee to start my day and protein....bottom line experiment and live and don't starve either...you may not be eating enough which slows down metabolism so try increasing healthy calories you love!!

If you focus on the failure it repeats...so focus on your daily baby steps like how you are  eating healthy most the entire day and so on...you got this

Edited by tinacristina