KimmieLee76

Mashed Potatoes don't seem to be my friend...

19 posts in this topic

My RNY was 10/24/13 and I feel great! Things have gone very smooth for me and I'm now down 56 pounds.

I haven't had much trouble with introducing food back in except for mashed potatoes. They hurt my breast bone then severe nausea, then ultimately make me vomit...every time!

Does anyone else get this? It makes me sad...i love mashed taters :/

Why would you want to eat that?  Its nothing but carbs.  Mashed potatoes are NOT a weight loss food.

Try mashing up cauliflower.

Edited by Aviator
KimmieLee76 and GAviv like this

I was actually told I could have 2 tablespoons of them. I've tried the cauliflower and loved it.
I will NOT be eating mashed potatoes again. The sickness isn't worth it.

Had anyone else been told they could eat them only to become ill?

Edited by KimmieLee76
Aviator likes this

My plan does not embrace carbs in the form of white potatoes, rice, pasta, breads etc. My nutritionist said something to me early on that, phrased the way she said, made perfect sense to me. Has anyone ever offered you a sugar free cookie? There is no such thing. If it has flour in it, it converts to sugar IN your body. It was a real AHA moment. I have had a couple of bites of bread since my surgery and it sits heavy. I much prefer the way protein makes me feel. It has made it easy to not be interested in it anymore. Truly a blessing for me. Nothing tastes as good as being diabetes free feels! Jen

Try your potatoes later down the road I am a day earlier then you in surgery I was 10/23 I am also about 56lbs down... I actually feel better with a little bit of carbs, it helps when I eat the protein. Take small bits and introduce it later maybe I dont have problems with bread either but I use the 60calorie, sprouted grain bread with tons of fiber. I am still loosing weight.. the one thing on this sight I do not enjoy is when people discipline you for what you post you ate... everyone is different.. I had a gal that said once she actually at potatoes 2 months after surgery her nausea went away... nothing is how you used to eat potatoes.. get your protein in and them get your potatoes.... your doing a great job.. keep up the good work.. and try all the foods and you will find out as you go what works and what does not... your loosing weight still so that is good.. get in the gym, and stop when your full... drink water... your all good....

Kari

weight4change

I couldn't eat potatoes until about 6 months with the exception of potato soup, and I only ate that a few times. Now I eat a potato every three weeks or so. Carbohydrates are not an issue for me. Dietitian told me to eat more.

Had anyone else been told they could eat them only to become I'll?

There is quite a long list of "approved food" on my plan that will come right back up. We're all different in what we can tolerate.

Thank you all for the information! I really appreciate it.

And thank you Kari! Keep up your good work as well! That's fantastic! :)

Mashed potatoes are very dense unless they're almost soupy.  You'd have to take tiny bites and swallow them slowly.  They probably just clumped up and didn't digest well, especially if you ate them quickly and took big bites.  

Others have a point about potatoes in general.  They don't have any added value as far as nutrition goes and that need to always be our main priority if at all possible.   On the other hand, if you add a scoop of Unjury chicken soup powder to them that makes them at least have protein.   I ate a lot of potato soup during my puréed stage but not any since.  However, I have had a few bites of baked potato with my steak during a meal.  It just fills me up too quickly and then there's no room for the meat protein.  I love potatoes too, but don't eat much of them anymore for that reason.  

Food is now like relationships.  If it isn't mutually beneficial, choices have to be made.

Potato nutrition:

12031028843_520f1cd4d2_o.png

Our stomachs have never read the list that the doctor supplies, and are rather like cats, even if they could read, they would do what they liked.

Whatever the list says, your stomach probably had other ideas.  Try things, but if they don't agree with you, wait a while. 

Just remember that those mashed potatoes are one of the things that got us into the state to need surgery.  Every bite you take at this point is a decision you need to make about the future.

Just in case I sound fanatical, I occasionally have mashed potatoes or a small portion of a baked potato - but I don't have either often, and never had either until after 9 months.

Happy-Camper, GAviv and Aviator like this

Potato nutrition:

12031028843_520f1cd4d2_o.png

I guess they DO have some nutritional value!  Crazy high carbs, though.  Still not good enough for me, personally, to eat on a regular basis.

GAviv and tmcgee like this

I don't eat potatoes often and it's a bite or two only because they sit like a lead balloon! Over 8 years out...... I don't think it's going to change....... For that matter, a French fry or two does the same thing. Husband just has to have fries, always a large that he KNOWS he can't finish.

I guess they DO have some nutritional value!  Crazy high carbs, though.  Still not good enough for me, personally, to eat on a regular basis.

I don't eat them often anymore, but have never considered them evil. In the light of what I'm eating now, a spud would fit right in and I still wouldn't be getting enough carbohydrates. The potassium would help much too, I usually test low for that.

I am impressed with the potassium content. If I ever have muscle cramps .... oh.... I am having that ..... :)

Happy-Camper likes this

I am impressed with the potassium content. If I ever have muscle cramps .... oh.... I am having that ..... :)

Eat a tater and call me in the morning.  $135.00, please.

GAviv, KimmieLee76 and Aviator like this

I rarely touch potatoes but occasionally (like once a month), I'll have some sweet potato - nutritionally, they have the edge over regular spuds.

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

I had Gastric bypass done in July of 2012 I can eat Mashed Potatoes

Channing

Edited by [email protected]

3 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I had Gastric bypass done in July of 2012 I can eat Mashed Potatoes

I used to eat potatoes but haven't touched them since my WLS surgery.  They have little to offer nutritionally and it was foods like that that got me to the point of needing bariatric surgery anyway.