Kate2014

Advice please

Hi 

I live in Sydney Australia. I had a lap band that was extremely successful until it eroded (possibly due to pregnancy). So i finally have it out and i am enormous once again! It is seriously ruining my life!

I need to decide between a gastric sleeve or Bypass - can anyone suggest which would be best. I want to loose weight as fast as possible and i want the surgery that will have the fewest complications.

My current surgeon has suggested the sleeve but i think that could be because of habit. I am book into see another surgeon for a second opinion. 

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can give me. :D

PS I'm on my out but will log back on as soon as i get home:) 

Edited by Kate2014

Your comment "as fast as possible" worries me -- you know from your experience with the band that surgery is not a magic wand.

There are lots of opinions on this, and plenty of success stories with either.

Whichever you choose, its going to take a life long commitment to changing your lifestyle and your eating habits for the weight loss to last.

Ignoring the fast as possible comment, because you will lose with either surgery. If you want the least complications go with the sleeve. The bypass is a more involved surgery, it can take between two to three hours to complete versus one hour for the sleeve. Post-op you could have dumping, though not as likely with the sleeve, but still possible. Many that have had bypass complain of foul gas odors, this is from the undigested food going lower in the intestinal track. Either surgery is going to require a major lifestyle change in diet and exercise. Good luck! Jen

Thanks Jen and TT i do fully understand the lifestyle change needed.  i did really well  with the band for 3 years until i got pregnant. My surgeon believes that the erosion happened as a complication from my c section.   It was so easy for me with the band because i wasn't thinking about food 24/7. i just never thought about food.

I do understand that WLS is not a magic wand however it certainly makes dieting and therefore exercise so much easier for me. I spoke with my surgeon this afternoon and i have decided to go with the sleeve as like you say Jen there are less complications. I guess i was just worried as i have read that in some cases sleeves don't work as well for people that have had the band previously. I am determined to do everything 100% right so i am sure that i will be fine -  Im so exited:)

I had bypass after the band and my mother just had the sleeve but wishes she had bypass.  I have lost so much more with bypass and have had 

NO problems.  My mom hits plateaus a lot more than I do, weather it is due to the type of surgery or not I do not know but I have lost 105 lbs and will be having my panniculectomy, tummy tuck and mons lift done on Jan 30, 2014.  Good Luck in making this life changing decision.  Whatever you chose, make sure you exercise and watch what you eat and you will do well. :)

I've just had my band removed yesterday 28/010/14. I lost a bit with my band, found out my pouch was the size of a Ping pong ball so I couldn't get any meat in without it coming back to greet me, so after a while my body went into starvation mode and I couldn't lose anymore.

I'm going to have the sleeve, like you I was pretty undecided but as a nurse I've talked with lots of patients who have done both, and decided the sleeve will suit me better. So that will happen in 3 to 4 months.

My reasoning on the sleeve is mainly because of the long term vitamin and mineral intake is easier to maintain than with the bypass.

Good luck with your decision. Just a quick question, were you in lots of pain after your band removal? TIA - Sheryl

Hi 

I live in Sydney Australia. I had a lap band that was extremely successful until it eroded (possibly due to pregnancy). So i finally have it out and i am enormous once again! It is seriously ruining my life!

I need to decide between a gastric sleeve or Bypass - can anyone suggest which would be best. I want to loose weight as fast as possible and i want the surgery that will have the fewest complications.

My current surgeon has suggested the sleeve but i think that could be because of habit. I am book into see another surgeon for a second opinion. 

Hi 

I thing RNY Gastric Bypass is the best option by far!!!

Hi 

RNY Gastric Bypass is the best option by far. I have had it and My husband has had it. My sister in law had the band and it wasn't successful, she later had the bypass and is doing great.

I had the bypass last June and am down 75 lbs. my daughter and son in law both had the sleeve done about 18 months ago both have gained all their weight back due to eating larger than suggested portions which I assume can stretch out their sleeve. This can also happen to bypass people. The key to either is DO WHAT the plan says. Eat the right portion sizes do not go off the reservation. This is the only way you will achieve success longtime with either procedures.

Im a VSG guy and have lost 110 lbs. and am still losing. Both VSG and RNY are good procedures and work.

Your question is short on specifics. In my case, the "statistical" expected weight loss for me at 40 BMI was inconsequental - like a 5 lb difference.

if you are diabetic, you have a greater chance for a remission with RNY. You weight loss will be a little faster, but complications can be worse.

Because of malabsorbtion of RNY, if you aren't religious about taking supplements you can get osteoporosis later in life. Incidences of complications are higher with RNY.

VSG isn't malabsorbtive and the procedure is much simpler. I have lost more than the average RNY patient (by far).

Rapid weight loss is not necessarily a good thing.

Edited by Aviator