juneann

anybody fighting losing too much weight?

19 posts in this topic

i have gone below my goal but am concerned i have lost too much .. same regime of eating and i am in love with dates so there is my sugar craving. i stop eating about four for five in afternoon and eat alot of splenda.. i am trying to figure out what i can eat so i just maintain ..any suggestions.. i walk alot and am very active.. i think this surgery was a blessing as i have some joint issues.. so if you can add something i can drink or eat that tastes great ..please let me know..

At 5'2" and 122lb, you're right in the middle of the normal BMI range.

But to answer your question - my honeymoon period went on longer than most and I overshot into the underweight BMI category.  My surgeon and NUT told me not to worry about it, just do my best to add extra calories where I can.  And the weight loss did stop and I managed to put back on a few pounds and now maintain on 1,800 calories/day.

A few things that can help:

Drink milk where possible - I switched to 1%

Add a teaspoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil where you can

Add grated cheese where you can

Try eating avocados.  They're full of good fat and they go down easily.

Add a couple of snacks - an ounce of mixed nuts is around 170 calories.

You have to work at it but you can halt your weight loss.  Major thing is not to worry about it.

I've shot below my goal as well and feel I'm looking too bony. I've gone from a size 22 to a size 0.

I've added two snacks a day and that seems to have stopped the weight loss. I'm eating almonds for snacks and peanut butter on crackers, sometimes a Kind bar and I love the Paul Newman protein pretzels.

It's difficult to make myself eat these snacks and increase my calories. I'm not hungry, but I find I'm always looking at the clock for when I can eat again. I'm worried that I'll fall back into old habits and the next thing I know, I'll have gained 10, 20, 30 pounds. It just messes with your head.

this makes me feel better to know someone else has the same fear.. the thing my dr told me after the last visit is now you have a battle to keep the weight off and i think that stuck with me.. that i would gain back lbs.. i will try to eat nuts and avocados.If you are like i am you still go into the xxx sizes

I am having the same issue. I went from a size 22 to a 0 if I am lucky, but mostly have to shop in the junior department and/or little girl department. Which at my age is incredibly embarrassing (I am almost 46). I have lost a total of 120 lbs and am 5'2, weighing 106 right now. I have major issues with eating as since my surgery 2 years ago, I have been diagnosed with Crohns and Celiacs and have a multitude of food sensitives that cause excruciating pain, I have been to ER twice in a month, and am told the pain (a 13/10 most days) is a result of gluten intolerance, food allergies and crohns....I just can't win. Now I am fighting to find foods that will help me gain a few pounds. I do look sick and my family worries like crazy. My BMI is still in ok range, not yet to underweight but close. My surgeon is "proud" ~ he hasn't showed any concern with any of my issues. That bothers me. Right now, can't find a doctor willing to do CT scan to ensure nothing is bad wrong as all of my bloodwork is "great" and even though I am in pain 24/7, I am at my wits end right now. Feb will be 2 yrs post RNY and I feel worse than ever. Chronic pain, chronic fatique...seems I now take more meds/supplements than I did before surgery, and my philosophy is, so many pills...no room for food! 

BariatricGalx97 likes this

i am having the same problems.. pains and bladder problems.. think it is from dropping so much weight in my legs and back area.. i hate to have surgery to remove the skin.. seems l have lost muscle in the upper legs and behind.. have one bladder infection after another.. seems like we have more skin than we should.. hope you find a doctor that will listen instead of diagnos..will talk to my weight loss doctor and see about remving the skin from the top part of my legs.. oddly enough i am having food issues too. take care newbie and keep in touch

My weight is at an all-time low. I often buy clothes in the kids dept because adult clothes are too big on me. I'm struggling with cramps in my legs. I try and eat a protein source every 2 hours to keep my energy level up but my metabolism is in overdrive!

My weight is at an all-time low. I often buy clothes in the kids dept because adult clothes are too big on me. I'm struggling with cramps in my legs. I try and eat a protein source every 2 hours to keep my energy level up but my metabolism is in overdrive!

Danelle - at 26 months post-op, I'd suggest you contact your surgeon.  My honeymoon stage went on longer than most but yours seems excessive.

Agree with Cinwa...I have fought the urge to loose too much..I have gotten down to 92 lbs. before but always just increase my snacks a bit to stay at 95. The best fit as far as clothes goes is American Eagle size 00 because they are little in legs..I am only 4'9..

Shauna.H, I laughed when I read that you are shopping in the junior department.  Sorry - I know it's not funny to you, it just tickles me to think that ANY of us who have been through this are having to change where we shop to get clothes that fit.  I would LOVE to buy jeans in the boys department.  LOL  I do know that every morning when I put on my size 32 pants it makes me grin ear to ear, especially considering the fact that for many years I was wearing size 48 pants.  You look terrific by the way!

Minfit likes this

This is the story of my life! I got down to a little below 115 (I'm 5'5")... but my goal weight was 135. My surgeon actually did get concerned, and with a little help from my NUT, we have managed to get my weight up to a healthier 120. I never dreamed I would have to worry about things like every single item of clothing being too big for me! I went from a 24 to a 0-2 petite in about a year.

I also don't (and haven't) eaten any low-fat foods since shortly after my surgery. After watching a documentary and doing some research, I found that most of that stuff actually contains all kinds of ingredients that can add to weight gain. Baffling to think that a few years ago, I was filling my life with diet everything and couldn't stop gaining weight, and now I'm eating the real deal and can't stop losing. How far we've all come :) 

Raeme likes this

I too worry about this because I don't seem to be at a place where I'm stopping and I honestly haven't had it that hard yet... I don't get sick often but when I do it suddenly sheds 5-10 lbs off and with no regain the long term concerns me. When I do the math though I believe I'll naturally just level off at the lower end of my healthy BMI, which I can certainly deal with... :D

This is an interesting topic because I don't think we see it on the boards much. At my one year surgiversary (just a few weeks ago), my bariatric doctor actually told me to gain 10 lbs -- that I was looking way too skinny (size 2-4) for my frame, even though my BMI is in normal range. Since I already eat healthy fats (avocado, nuts, sour cream, etc), she said to add back in pasta, whole grains and bread. !!! I never thought I would ever hear that. So this Christmas week, I've been a bit more diligent about eating those (even though my pouch doesn't really like them), and I still lost 2 lbs!!! grrrrrrr! I guess I will just continue to monitor and see how it goes.

Alexa21 and Cheesehead like this

i wonder where am I going to be in a year?  I have lost 56lbs since my WLS and 72 from my highest weight, I can tell a big difference, I just hope I loose enough but not to much. I think 140 would be good for me and I have a hard time eating and I do not meet my protein goal ever. Everyday I eat a cup of yogurt and before I know it it has been 3 ,4 hours since I ate. I don't think any of it is easy. It is always one way or the other

I'm struggling with this right now, as well.  My "goal weight" was somewhere in the range of 130-150 lbs (I would have been happy anywhere in there).  I ended up at 125 lbs, and maintained that weight for months.  Then about two months ago, I suddenly started dropped weight again.  I've increased my food intake, I've started adding in freaking fast food (high calories per volume), I've added carbs, sugars - nothing seems to be working.  My weight is now down to 110 lbs, and the weight loss shows no signs of stopping.

I've also recently had the onset of autoimmune symptoms/rheumatoid issues, and am under the care of a rheumatologist who is trying to pin down exactly what is wrong with me, so it's very possible that the sudden weight loss is tied to RA or whatever other inflammatory arthritis condition I apparently have.  But it's still very frustrating and upsetting.  I'm 5'4", 110 lbs is not a healthy weight!

I know I commented on this topic a year ago or so, but it's still extremely relevant. Y'all, who would have ever thought all of us would go from overweight to worrying about being too thin... but it is indeed a real problem. I'm a little over 3 years out, and I'm way under my goal weight of 135. Like others have said, every time I get sick, I easily drop a ton of weight and look like a very scary skeleton. I have figured out a way to maintain, which involves literally eating every 2 hours and trying to pack in some higher calorie food, but any time I deviate from that routine, I lose weight. My doctor says this isn't abnormal, and that I've just developed a rapid metabolism once I started eating right... but I never in a million years thought I would have to worry about my pants not fitting because they were falling off rather than being too tight. 

Has anyone found any really good things that work to maintain weight? I still totally dump with sugar and can't tolerate very many carbs at one time, so I feel kind of stuck. It's also super annoying to spend your entire day eating to maintain weight. Again, something I never thought I would say. 

Also, last question--have any of you guys who have gotten super thin pretty quickly had gallbladder issues? I eat so healthy, but my gallbladder rebelled in September and I had to go in for emergency surgery. The doctors kept questioning the foods I was eating, but they couldn't figure out anything fatty that would have triggered it, and they ended up deciding it was the rapid weight loss... but I lost all of the weight two years before? I wanted to see if anyone else who got too thin experienced this, because it still remains a mystery to me what, besides the weight loss and the general risk of gallbladder problems from gastric bypass, could have caused it. 

Polyphemus -- I hear ya. I'm still losing. Saw my PCP yesterday to ask what I could do, and she said eat nuts, oils etc. I said I already do! I asked if I should concentrate on building muscle and she said I would then need to take in more calories. This part of the struggle is a head case, honestly, since we have spent so much time learning how to eat healthy. Grrrrrr.

Same issue! I am 5 foot 9.75 inches and got to 118. I added in full fats, smoothies, and finally had to start drinking juice.

i am a little over 2 years out and have stabilized at 135 to 140. I actaullay consume 2200 calories a day to keep at this weight...

Same.. Its scary thinking i have to eat fat food, and more carbs sometimes.. maybe increasing your calories more and try eating more snacks  , My nutritionist recommends Butter with Vedgies (Sounds gross) Lol, Peanut Butter on Crackers, eat more Starchy Foods. Bread/Pasta/Rice