Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

5,334 posts in this topic

I help coach my sons football team, and am one of the on field coaches. Yesterday, during my sons football game I was able to run 60 yards with all the boys (10 and 11yr olds) during a big play and congratulate them and get the next play called without an issue. This time last year I wouldn't have been able to run that fast or far. Even moving much slower last year I would have had a hard time calling the next play because I would have been sooooo out of breath.

2 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

That makes my heart hurt...

I learned long ago that my father is an unmedicated bipolar person who will never seek help. His words hurt but I try not to let them bring me down. I've built a fantastic life for myself and nothing beats that knowledge. 

On 10/9/2017 at 6:28 AM, AustinJ said:

I help coach my sons football team, and am one of the on field coaches. Yesterday, during my sons football game I was able to run 60 yards with all the boys (10 and 11yr olds) during a big play and congratulate them and get the next play called without an issue. This time last year I wouldn't have been able to run that fast or far. Even moving much slower last year I would have had a hard time calling the next play because I would have been sooooo out of breath.

That brought a lump to my throat Austin.

We're all so focussed on our own WLS journey that we often forget the positive impact it has on those surrounding us.

Win or lose, I'm sure your sons had a wonderful game - especially now that they have their Dad on the team.  

4 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

@AustinJ I promise you that some of your postop weight loss is going to be from running around children. I'm totally serious. I spend my time running after my daughter and I swear that has contributed towards my weight loss. I also find that I *want* to do more activities with her. Running around with all of your boys is going to get you in shape! 

BurgundyBoy, Res Ipsa and Jen581791 like this

Posted (edited)

Just now, NerdyLady said:

I learned long ago that my father is an unmedicated bipolar person who will never seek help. His words hurt but I try not to let them bring me down. I've built a fantastic life for myself and nothing beats that knowledge. 

(((Hugs))) to you, my friend!! I have almost the exact same problem, but it's with my mother. She won't even admit she needs help, because she truly doesn't believe she does. I thank God every day that I found a medication that works for me, and I wouldn't be caught dead saying the things I heard growing up to my own children. I'm so happy that you try not to let them bring you down...because you are a beautiful person inside and out! Don't ever let anyone make you feel any different!

And seriously, on a different note...10 pounds below goal?!? You GO, girl!! ❤️❤️❤️

Edited by Trish1967

Just now, AustinJ said:

That is what it's all about!! How great that must have made you feel!! I'm so happy for you :) Just imagine what you'll be able to do NEXT year at this time! 

Res Ipsa and NerdyLady like this

Even as big as I am now, I am the parent involved and coaching everything. My father did the same for me and my siblings, and I hope one day my son will do the same for his children.

I think a reason why I have had so much success so far is because I am active in spite of my size. I would have ran that last year too, it just would have been much harder to do and recover from. I also coach wrestling (my passion) and baseball, I am also a boy scout leader and do all the camping and hiking with them, and an active church member.

I was raised that if you think something isn't being done right or well enough to get out there and do it yourself and lead by example. My WLS journey is for one simply reason and it is to teach my son anything is possible and to receive help isn't a bad thing. I have found so many other blessings along the way already, My son knows far more about nutrition then I ever did until recently, and I feel he will lead a much healthier life because of it.

Just now, AustinJ said:

Even as big as I am now, I am the parent involved and coaching everything. My father did the same for me and my siblings, and I hope one day my son will do the same for his children.

I think a reason why I have had so much success so far is because I am active in spite of my size. I would have ran that last year too, it just would have been much harder to do and recover from. I also coach wrestling (my passion) and baseball, I am also a boy scout leader and do all the camping and hiking with them, and an active church member.

I was raised that if you think something isn't being done right or well enough to get out there and do it yourself and lead by example. My WLS journey is for one simply reason and it is to teach my son anything is possible and to receive help isn't a bad thing. I have found so many other blessings along the way already, My son knows far more about nutrition then I ever did until recently, and I feel he will lead a much healthier life because of it.

You are going to succeed in the most amazing way!! Your attitude is incredible, and you are doing this for all the right reasons :) It's awe inspiring that you've been able to remain so active despite your weight. I can only hope to be half as active, when I reach my goal weight, as you are now!!

On 10/7/2017 at 11:59 AM, Trish1967 said:

Thanks, @cinwa!! That's where I notice it more than anywhere else. I just can't believe how heavy and bloated I was. It's no wonder my orthopedic surgeon told me I was killing myself and needed to drop the weight ASAP. He's the reason I looked into it in the first place. Huge blessing!!

I saw my orthopedic surgeon the week before my sleeve. He asked how I was doing, and I said no luck with the weight loss diet / exercise stuff, so was having bariatric surgery. He did a complete double take. Doctors know when they counsel weight loss, nearly always nothing happens. 

Hee hee hee. It will be fun seeing him again soon. 

9 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

And your son will be equipped with the positive example you have provided of facing into an issue and dealing with it. Lots of good things in all of this. 

Absolutely!

Trish1967 likes this

9 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

@BurgundyBoy Looked up A Gentleman in Moscow and found an NPR review. This book sounds riveting! 

It started a bit slow for me and then just kept getting more and more interesting. Initially I thought it might be rather light as a piece of literature and then.... wow! 

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

Just now, BurgundyBoy said:

I saw my orthopedic surgeon the week before my sleeve. He asked how I was doing, and I said no luck with the weight loss diet / exercise stuff, so was having bariatric surgery. He did a complete double take. Doctors know when they counsel weight loss, nearly always nothing happens. 

Hee hee hee. It will be fun seeing him again soon. 

You've got that right...his jaw will most likely hit the floor!! You'll have to let me know how he reacts when you do see him again, lol!

I know mine will be in total shock...and I can't wait for that either!! It's fun to shock them in a good way, right? :lol:

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

@Trish1967 I think that many of us look back on their preop pictures with mixed feelings. Years ago, my father told me that I look like a monster and that traumatized me beyond words. Not his finest moment.  I look back at most of my pictures with a feeling of helplessness. Was diabetes going to take me? Would my husband leave me because he found a better looking woman? Was I going to die and leave my daughter without a mother? Would I be able to get a job in academia as an aging fat woman? I totally understand where you are coming from. 

Let's not dwell on the sad pictures! We've written a new chapter for ourselves and we are sensational. 

@Trish1967 and @NerdyLady I absolutely look back at my before pictures with horror. I was so afraid that I was stuck that way and would live out a boring, depressing life hating myself and regretting how I had let myself get. My pictures remind me of how sad and out of control I felt. I'm trying to look at them with a sense of accomplishment, but that may take some time. 

2 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Not to sound insensitive, but that's awesome!! Like @NerdyLady said, it's going to change soon. But for now, enjoy!! :D

Try getting in and out of an Apple store!  It was SO much easier when I was 75 lbs heavier... not that I would take them back!!!

NerdyLady, Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

55 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

@Trish1967 and @NerdyLady I absolutely look back at my before pictures with horror. I was so afraid that I was stuck that way and would live out a boring, depressing life hating myself and regretting how I had let myself get. My pictures remind me of how sad and out of control I felt. I'm trying to look at them with a sense of accomplishment, but that may take some time. 

Looking back at the pictures certainly does remind me of the hell I was living in due to my health problems and just my sheer girth.But I do also look at them with a sense of accomplishment! I never thought I'd be able to lose this much weight in my lifetime. I actually want the reminders of just how horrible things were back then, at least a little...because I really feel that reminders of that time in my life will keep me on a straight path of never going back. I would like the tears I shed whenever I talk about it to stop, though...

Onward and upward my friends!!! As a celebration of my new life when I reach goal, I plan to post a picture of myself on my last birthday (My 50th, this past April). It was taken at our favorite restaurant, of course...and it's hideous. But it serves as a reminder to keep going and never go back!!

On 10/9/2017 at 6:31 AM, NerdyLady said:

Are we absolutely sure your Dad is not my sister?

BurgundyBoy likes this

22 hours ago, Clickin said:

Are we absolutely sure your Dad is not my sister?

@Clickin Is your sister an 84 year old Colombian man? If so, we need to talk!

cinwa, Trish13, BurgundyBoy and 1 other like this

Being out of t shirts, being able to borrow one from your 9 year old!

IMG_2823.JPG

16 minutes ago, bellamoma said:

Now, that is a first!

I love it!

I love this thread. Conference week gave me a few NSV's. 

There was a booth at the expo giving out thin long sleeved zip shirts, I took the survey and went to collect, the guy gave me a large...I let a friend borrow it bc I figured there was no way it would zip on me. I tried it on tonight and it fit, that is crazy. I still would have asked for a 2X!

I had to reintroduce myself to previous connections, they had the very blank faces when we shook hands.

There were some sponsored parties, all on upper floors downtown Nashville, up and down the flights of stairs and I danced in public. My 400+ pound self would have hid in a corner...

23 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

@Clickin Is your sister an 84 year old Colombian man? If so, we need to talk!

Never can tell, never can tell...

NerdyLady and Clickin like this

4 minutes ago, KMFL28 said:

I love this thread. Conference week gave me a few NSV's. 

There was a booth at the expo giving out thin long sleeved zip shirts, I took the survey and went to collect, the guy gave me a large...I let a friend borrow it bc I figured there was no way it would zip on me. I tried it on tonight and it fit, that is crazy. I still would have asked for a 2X!

I had to reintroduce myself to previous connections, they had the very blank faces when we shook hands.

There were some sponsored parties, all on upper floors downtown Nashville, up and down the flights of stairs and I danced in public. My 400+ pound self would have hid in a corner...

The reintroduction can be pretty funny. I have had people stutter and unable to finish sentences when it hits them that I look so different.

NerdyLady likes this

Love that part!

NerdyLady likes this

8 hours ago, bellamoma said:

IMG_2823.JPG

@bellamoma I saw a pair of my shorts and I thought they belonged to my toddler. :D

Would you ever have thought that you would be at this weight? Go girl!

bellamoma likes this