Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

5,212 posts in this topic

Just now, NerdyLady said:

What whaaaaaat?!! High five!

My doctor also said that given my last two A1c tests, one would never know I was diabetic! We are killing it!

High five right back at ya!!! We are DEFINITELY killing it!! 

Diabetic? Where? I don't see any diabetics around here!! :D

NerdyLady, Trish13 and Res Ipsa like this

1 minute ago, Trish1967 said:

High five right back at ya!!! We are DEFINITELY killing it!! 

Diabetic? Where? I don't see any diabetics around here!! :D

Jeopardy style response *Alex, what is diabetes?*

On a side note, I'm excited to see your new haircut. I think you will look awesome with a shaved head. I'm 100% serious. 

Trish1967 likes this

11 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

@NerdyLady...

sorry for the giant pic, idk how to make them smaller :) 

Check out shrinkpictures.com for shrinking pictures.  600 pixels work for me.

Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

Just now, cinwa said:

Check out shrinkpictures.com for shrinking pictures.  600 pixels work for me.

Thanks, Cinwa!!!

Just now, NerdyLady said:

Jeopardy style response *Alex, what is diabetes?*

On a side note, I'm excited to see your new haircut. I think you will look awesome with a shaved head. I'm 100% serious. 

Omg...thank you, but you sound exactly like my tiny, 125 pound daughter...who can wear her hair any way she chooses and look good with ANY hair style!!! If I'm brave enough to finally go through with it, I'll send you a pic in a private message, lol. I really don't know what I'm waiting for...I'm so tired of seeing bald spots and being covered in hair after my showers. So we shall see!! 

I love Jeopardy...I'm such an old fart!! HA!

Off to eat breakfast...hoping that I can still tolerate solids...fingers crossed!!

Edited by Trish1967
Trish13 likes this

@Trish1967 and @NerdyLady - way to go, ladies. Happy dance all around!

So (as a non-diabetic person) I don't know what the difference is between having diabetes and blood sugar levels all good and not having it in the first place. Is there other stuff in the mix that makes it so you can't say you're "cured"? What's the deal? Educate me, please.

Trish13, NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

@Trish1967 and @NerdyLady - way to go, ladies. Happy dance all around!

So (as a non-diabetic person) I don't know what the difference is between having diabetes and blood sugar levels all good and not having it in the first place. Is there other stuff in the mix that makes it so you can't say you're "cured"? What's the deal? Educate me, please.

You can't actually "cure" type 2 diabetes. But you can get it under control...or put it in remission. For instance, my blood sugar levels were normal last year, before my thyroid surgery. At one point, I ended up with a bacterial infection, and suddenly my sugars were shooting up over 200 again. I hadn't changed my diet, I remained low carb, etc, yet my sugars were suddenly out of control. For almost a year! Getting sick, even a cold, being under large amounts of stress, an injury or even surgery...all of those things can bring you out of remission and land you back on insulin or oral meds. Even if it's for a short time. 

There are a lot of type 1 diabetics, and even some type 2's that believe it can be cured by just "putting down the fork", and they believe that's the end of it. And as @NerdyLady and I have proven, losing weight and changing your diet can definitely put it in remission. But as far as curing it...no.

Edited by Trish1967
Trish13, Res Ipsa, Jen581791 and 1 other like this

31 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

You can't actually "cure" type 2 diabetes. But you can get it under control...or put it in remission. For instance, my blood sugar levels were normal last year, before my thyroid surgery. At one point, I ended up with a bacterial infection, and suddenly my sugars were shooting up over 200 again. I hadn't changed my diet, I remained low carb, etc, yet my sugars were suddenly out of control. For almost a year! Getting sick, even a cold, being under large amounts of stress, an injury or even surgery...all of those things can bring you out of remission and land you back on insulin or oral meds. Even if it's for a short time. 

There are a lot of type 1 diabetics, and even some type 2's that believe it can be cured by just "putting down the fork", and they believe that's the end of it. And as @NerdyLady and I have proven, losing weight and changing your diet can definitely put it in remission. But as far as curing it...no.

Thanks for your explanation and example. I'm so glad that both of you are doing so well! Remission it is, then :) 

Trish1967 and Trish13 like this

19 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Thanks for your explanation and example. I'm so glad that both of you are doing so well! Remission it is, then :) 

Woohoo!! Thank you!!!

Jen581791 likes this

I tried on a XL shirt, it fit and I had room to spare. Prior to surgery, I wearing 4 XL shirts. I'm loving my journey! 

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

Type 1 diabetes cannot be cured by anything. Type 1 diabetes can only be controlled by insulin. In a few experimental procedures at the Joslin diabetes center, cadaver pancreas transplants have been put into people with  type. 1. It is still early to know whether this a viable option.

there are 4 types of Type 2 diabetes:

1. Type 1-  total lack of native insulin from pancreas.

2. Type 2- The body makes insulin but the insulin becomes " resistant" to drug therapy. Most Type 2's wind up on insulin because their native insulin becomes totally resistant.

Type2-----gestational. Develops in pregnant women. Pregnant diabetics can only be treated with insulin. The diabetes goes into remission sometime after delivery. About of 70 % of women who develop diabetes during pregnancy will develop regular Type 2 later in life.

Type3.....  chemical diabetes.  Develops while a patient is taking medicine such as steroids. The diabetes will go away after the drug is stopped.

weight loss surgery never "cures" diabetes (type 2). It only puts it into remission.

:

4 minutes ago, Spunkycat said:

Type 1 diabetes cannot be cured by anything. Type 1 diabetes can only be controlled by insulin. In a few experimental procedures at the Joslin diabetes center, cadaver pancreas transplants have been put into people with  type. 1. It is still early to know whether this a viable option.

there are 4 types of Type 2 diabetes:

1. Type 1-  total lack of native insulin from pancreas.

2. Type 2- The body makes insulin but the insulin becomes " resistant" to drug therapy. Most Type 2's wind up on insulin because their native insulin becomes totally resistant.

Type2-----gestational. Develops in pregnant women. Pregnant diabetics can only be treated with insulin. The diabetes goes into remission sometime after delivery. About of 70 % of women who develop diabetes during pregnancy will develop regular Type 2 later in life.

Type3.....  chemical diabetes.  Develops while a patient is taking medicine such as steroids. The diabetes will go away after the drug is stopped.

weight loss surgery never "cures" diabetes (type 2). It only puts it into remission.

:

Great way to explain diabetes @Spunkycat. I love the Joslin. I worked on a research project for them and I was a patient! They are great people with a keen eye. 

@Jen581791 The numbers that @Trish1967 and I posted are daily numbers. Everyone has different schedules for testing as mandated by their doctor.  I test as soon as I wake up in the morning.by pricking myself with a small lancet (needle) and putting blood on the testing strip. The strip is inserted into a meter, which gives you a numerical reading. Ideally, your numbers should be anywhere from 70-130. I used to test before and after every meal and looked for a target of less than 180. 

The A1c is a value that measures your glucose numbers over a period of 3 months. My last test evaluated my sugar levels June-August. Your ideal A1c value should be less that 7 if you are a diabetic. 

Here is a handy dandy link to the good folks at the Joslin. They are a research hospital and the gold standard for diabetes care. 

http://www.joslin.org/info/goals_for_blood_glucose_control.html

Res Ipsa, Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

2 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

I tried on a XL shirt, it fit and I had room to spare. Prior to surgery, I wearing 4 XL shirts. I'm loving my journey! 

Just stick with the program and you'll be L shirts soon!  I'm roughly the same height as you, and even some M shirts fit me now.  Me in a medium - I never thought that I would see the day.

1 hour ago, Spunkycat said:

I hope you didn't misunderstand my post...I reread it and it did sound like I was saying that type 1 can be cured. I just meant to say that a lot of type 1 folks think that people like me, a type 2, can cure it by losing weight or changing our diets. I'm very, very happy to be in remission, but that can change at any time for the reasons I listed above, even if I continue losing weight and stick to my eating plan. It's soooo frustrating!! But for now, at least, I'm a happy diabetic in remission!! :) 

Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

2 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

That's awesome!!! Keep up your great work, @Dtrain84!! 

NerdyLady and Dtrain84 like this

I finally fit into my wedding dress again! It's even too big in the top. 

I had a quirky wedding. My maid of honor was a tortoise and my cat attended in a tuxedo. My reception was in a very cool bourbon bar. :)

IMG_5289.jpg

2 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

I had a quirky wedding. My maid of honor was a tortoise and my cat attended in a tuxedo. My reception was in a very cool bourbon bar. :)

IMG_5289.jpg

You look great and that is a very beautiful dress!

Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

WOW!  NerdyLady - you're looking fantastic!

That dress looks gorgeous - can you have it taken in?

NerdyLady, Trish13 and Trish1967 like this

40 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

IMG_5289.jpg

You look gorgeous! I'm with @cinwa, get it taken in if you can :) So pretty. 

Trish1967 likes this

It's amazing that you had surgery 5 months ago. You look incredible!

Trish1967 likes this

@Smashlee83 @Jen581791 @cinwa @Res Ipsa

Thanks for the compliments! I loved wearing that dress. It was snug on my wedding day but I was too happy to notice. 

I could have it taken in but I imagine it would be a lot of work. The dress is made of a heavy material and has a thick lining. I'm not planning to wear it any time soon, so back in the closet it will go. :)

MarktheNerd, Res Ipsa and Trish1967 like this

I'm another diabetic in remission.  Been there since surgery.  Had labs done 2 weeks ago and A1C was 5.4.  I also had 2 babies while gestational diabetes.  Last one was 5 weeks early and 9# 14 ounces because of it (babies get big and lungs don't mature as readily so he spent 3 weeks in NICU).   Before surgery I was maxed out on 3 meds (galipizide, actos and Metformin).  

It was my reason for having surgery.  My PCP thinks I'm amazing, lol!  He tells me every time I go in, lol!  

You look absolutely stunning NerdyLady!!!!!

Trish1967 likes this

Wow, girl!!! You, as my son would say, NAILED IT!!! I'm so happy for and proud of you!! You must feel fantastic...you sure LOOK fantastic!! Yay you!! :wub:

NerdyLady likes this

On 9/6/2017 at 6:09 PM, Cheesehead said:

I'm another diabetic in remission.  Been there since surgery.  Had labs done 2 weeks ago and A1C was 5.4.  I also had 2 babies while gestational diabetes.  Last one was 5 weeks early and 9# 14 ounces because of it (babies get big and lungs don't mature as readily so he spent 3 weeks in NICU).   Before surgery I was maxed out on 3 meds (galipizide, actos and Metformin).  

It was my reason for having surgery.  My PCP thinks I'm amazing, lol!  He tells me every time I go in, lol!  

@Cheesehead I didn't realize this part of your story. Huzzah to you! Putting diabetes in remission tastes delicious! 

If you don't mind sharing, how is the health of your children? Going to the doctor with "elderly maternal pregnancy" meant that I was at the doctor several times a week. I'm not worried about my daughter's health but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't wonder if my diabetes passed along long term health concerns.