Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

5,081 posts in this topic

All I want is to succeed. Nothing else matters. It's major surgery and there was a huge reason why you chose it! I know people screw up, I don't get it.

Trish1967, Stephtay and NerdyLady like this

This week am hiking (can't  believe I am using this word; more like moderately strenuous walking) in the Italian Alps. Bought new hiking boots - first pair in > 30 years - and have been wearing lightweight synthetic fabric shirts that hang from my shoulders and chest and do not blob out around my stomach. My wife banned me from wearing those in public some years ago as they were not, um, flattering. It feels so liberating... I walked 10 or 12 kilometers with my 19 year old son, we were just walking and talking the two of us for 5+ hours -- and I kept thinking how precious this is. :wub:

I know, I know, none of you will believe this until I post a $!@#*& picture. Will do as soon as I can get a good internet connection....

3 words. Button. Up. Shirt. Silly, I know but man it feels good. A friend brings me bags of clothes as she's on her own weight loss journey. In the bag was the cutest button down denim shirt and I immediately threw it in the not keeping pile. I can never get a non plus sized button down over both my boobs and my belly. Also, this wasn't even an XL. Not going to happen.

I walked by a few times. Curious but not wanting to set myself up for disappointment. I finally pep talked myself up enough and put it on. Every single button buttoned. There's even room in it. What is life??

This morning I moved two button down shirts and a polka dot tiered top from the doesn't-fit side of my closet to the I-CAN-WEAR-IT! side.

P.S. How do you know if a shirt is button-up or button-down? What if I choose to start buttoning from the middle?

Jen581791, Raeme, Trish1967 and 9 others like this

17 minutes ago, CurvyMermaid said:

This morning I moved two button down shirts and a polka dot tiered top from the doesn't-fit side of my closet to the I-CAN-WEAR-IT! side.

P.S. How do you know if a shirt is button-up or button-down? What if I choose to start buttoning from the middle?

Maybe I should have gone with simply buttoned shirt. It's got buttons and they go over my %$@#. Woohoo!

Apparently they censor the word t*ts. lol.

Lol! As long as they button, I don't care if its up, down or middle!  Congrats @Smashlee83! I am envious of your clothing swap friend - what a fun way to recycle!

I've got a strange NSV. My son and his girfriend bought me a beautiful necklace for Mother's Day 2 years ago. It was a standard length chain. It was so tight around my neck it felt like a choker chain. I tried it on for the heck if it today...not only does it fit, but it hangs down and I can see it if I look down! I can't believe I lost that many inches around my neck :) Very cool!

Trish13, Gretta, ikantspel and 12 others like this

On 8/8/2017 at 6:28 AM, Smashlee83 said:

Apparently they censor the word t*ts. lol.

I've complained about this before! Lol. 

NerdyLady, Stephtay and Smashlee83 like this

On 8/8/2017 at 8:10 AM, Smashlee83 said:

3 words. Button. Up. Shirt. Silly, I know but man it feels good. A friend brings me bags of clothes as she's on her own weight loss journey. In the bag was the cutest button down denim shirt and I immediately threw it in the not keeping pile. I can never get a non plus sized button down over both my boobs and my belly. Also, this wasn't even an XL. Not going to happen.

I walked by a few times. Curious but not wanting to set myself up for disappointment. I finally pep talked myself up enough and put it on. Every single button buttoned. There's even room in it. What is life??

I had the same experience! a couple years ago, I bought a shirt that I wore with a tanktop because it didn't button over my boobs. TADA! It's now too big. :)

I have a few NSVs. 

I went down two underwear sizes! 

I donated another huge bag of clothes to the women's shelter. Seriously, why did I have so many clothes? I spend all day at the library or at home!

I ran up three flights of stairs without thinking twice. My average weight BIL and SIL were out of breath and apologized for breathing heavily  

I went to my favorite pizza joint and had a salad  I didn't feel deprived in the least and enjoyed the conversation with family.

WOOT!

kayak19, Smashlee83, Raeme and 7 others like this

12 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

I have a few NSVs. 

WOOT!

Yes, WOOT!  Great job. 

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

27 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

I have a few NSVs. 

Isn't that the most amazing feeling!

Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

This one involves stairs.  

Visiting the hospital with the most athletic friend I have.  Room to visit is on the fifth floor.  Without THINKING or LOOKING AT ME, my friend heads to the stairs instead of the elevator and I follow.  Up we go, four flights, talking the whole way.  We get to the fifth floor.  I'm not even out of breath.  My friend stops, says... "oh... did you want to take the elevator?  I just assume you take the stairs now."   I answer "we can take it on the way down".   Whoo Hooo... who knew I could keep up!!!!   

Stephtay, Jen581791, Raeme and 7 others like this

2 hours ago, ikantspel said:

This one involves stairs.  

Visiting the hospital with the most athletic friend I have.  Room to visit is on the fifth floor.  Without THINKING or LOOKING AT ME, my friend heads to the stairs instead of the elevator and I follow.  Up we go, four flights, talking the whole way.  We get to the fifth floor.  I'm not even out of breath.  My friend stops, says... "oh... did you want to take the elevator?  I just assume you take the stairs now."   I answer "we can take it on the way down".   Whoo Hooo... who knew I could keep up!!!!   

Take that, stairs! They will never own us again! Good job!!

Trish1967, ikantspel and Trish13 like this

Awesome job!!!

I have two...

I bought a winter coat about 6 years ago, and it never really fit. I tried it on tonight, just for kicks, and I can button AND zip it!! Pretty good feeling :)

Also, I was sitting on the couch with Harper yesterday...and with absolutely no thought I crossed my legs!! It's been 20 years since I could do that!

BurgundyBoy, Trish13, Raddy and 7 others like this

Prediction: Trish is back here in four months lamenting that she had to get rid of her too big winter coat!!! 

Getting into it is its own sweet victory though. 

Crossing legs and other ease of movement NSVs are really nice - 

Edited by Jen581791
Raeme, Trish13, Stephtay and 4 others like this

I screwed something up.  Sorry..

Jen581791 likes this

It's a bit chilly where I live today so I pulled a dress out of my closet I haven't worn for several months. Jan was probably the last time I wore it. I put it on and didn't even wonder if it would still fit me. In my pre-op days, if I went more than a few months without wearing something, it usually didn't fit. It wasn't until after I was on my way to work I remembered the dread I would feel when putting on something I hadn't worn for a while. So many of my old thinking patterns and fears are gone!

On 8/2/2017 at 7:09 AM, Trish1967 said:

Wow...that's awesome!!! I can't even imagine! Alas, I'll never know that feeling...I've never had one, never will. But I'm THRILLED for you!!

If you get to your goal weight, you will. 

NerdyLady likes this

1 hour ago, Stephtay said:

It's a bit chilly where I live today so I pulled a dress out of my closet I haven't worn for several months. Jan was probably the last time I wore it. I put it on and didn't even wonder if it would still fit me. In my pre-op days, if I went more than a few months without wearing something, it usually didn't fit. It wasn't until after I was on my way to work I remembered the dread I would feel when putting on something I hadn't worn for a while. So many of my old thinking patterns and fears are gone!

I used to dread pulling out a different seasons clothes.  Most of the time I wore blue jeans and tshirts year around.  

Jen581791, Stephtay, Raeme and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, Stephtay said:

I still can't get used to this.  I work from home most of the time but travel in spurts that include courtrooms and other formal presentation settings.  In the past when I had to travel I knew I had to go shopping or send out rush dry cleaning at the hotel because I never had a weeks worth of business clothes that fit at any given time much less two weeks!  Now I still feel like I have to try everything on but it's more of a fashion show when I realize stuff still fits and I have lots of choices lol!

NSV of the Week - When I drive my husband's truck, I usually have to push his seat back as far as it will go.  This weekend, as I went to get in I thought that maybe I could get in without moving the seat, so I tried it and it worked!  

Gretta, Stephtay, NerdyLady and 3 others like this

my son & the lady that grooms my dogs both told me that I needed to get rid of my size 36 jeans. neither 1 had commented on my clothes before.

that makes me buy size 34x34, 20"  inches down from where I started 54x34. still doesn't seam real.

NerdyLady, kayak19, Trish13 and 2 others like this