Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

4,770 posts in this topic

Last week, My 16 year old brother hugged me and squeezed me so tight...WITH HIS ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER BEHIND MY BACK! That felt awesome...cant remember a time where he was ever able to do that. :)

We went to the movies and I could sit comfortably in the seat without my butt going numb. Also crossing my legs is a huge thing to me. I forgot how nice it is.

I have four new dresses, all in a size 12 (UK, equivalent US 10.)  Not vanity-sized 12s, real 12s!  My vanity-sized 12 jeans are too big now, I've had to swap them for 12s from a different shop.  

This week I've been described as "petite," "slight," and "a tiny little person." I'm not, but yay!  And my Mum remarked that she can see my ribs and feel my hipbones (yeah, I've been poked at a bit since I've been home.)  It's also the first time she has ever looked at me and said "don't you think you should stop trying to lose weight, and just stay where you are?"  I'm not quite where I want to be yet, but I'm very pleased to hear that!

Here is my NSV for this week:

I had to see my surgeon today (turns out I need my gallbladder out) and he opened the door and says "You look fabulous!!"  And said I have lost more then he expected - and then I told him he was the one that told me I should be "around 225" by one year out and he says oh I did?  lol   Anyway, he re-figured it and 238 is 65% excess loss (the typical amount for sleeve) and I have exceeded that by 4 lbs at 10.3 weeks  :)   So that is my NSV -  I have met the 65% in under 11 months.   He also was very excited to remove the medical condition of "morbid obesity" off of my chart....and put on just plain ol obesity.   I went from BMI of 71 to a 38 now.

Down 33 lbs and my belly doesn't rest against the steering wheel anymore. :D 

I have a couple for this week already!

1. I tried on a pea coat I've had since high school, haven't been able to fit into it since I was a freshman in college. Tried it on tonight to take the dog outside because I left my other coat in my car--and it fit! It was a little snug, but that sucker went on AND buttoned!

2. I went to the movies tonight with my best friend and her husband, and for the first time in a very long time I fit in the seat comfortably. Not too big, not too small, just right. Also, when I sat down that chair didn't fall backwards, it stayed in place! Before when I sat in the movie theater seats it was snug, uncomfortable, and the chair always reclined whether I wanted it to or not.

I love my little sleeve :wub: !

Here is my NSV for this week:

I had to see my surgeon today (turns out I need my gallbladder out) and he opened the door and says "You look fabulous!!"  And said I have lost more then he expected - and then I told him he was the one that told me I should be "around 225" by one year out and he says oh I did?  lol   Anyway, he re-figured it and 238 is 65% excess loss (the typical amount for sleeve) and I have exceeded that by 4 lbs at 10.3 weeks  :)   So that is my NSV -  I have met the 65% in under 11 months.   He also was very excited to remove the medical condition of "morbid obesity" off of my chart....and put on just plain ol obesity.   I went from BMI of 71 to a 38 now.

You are such an inspiration!

sunnyshinny04, Dees, CeCeJD and 1 other like this

As I was just saying in another thread... a biggie for me was having only liquids for 2 days in a row and finding out I would not die from it like I thought I was going to on day 1! LOL! It was good to 'clean up' after some poor holiday choices... :)

I had a check up at a dr. yesterday and the nurse who hasn't seen me before and doesn't know I had WLS didn't get the big blood pressure cuff. She just used the regular one!

uglydude, Lisi1963, labosco and 7 others like this

Since I missed this one last week, here a few of my NSVs

• I went to my PCP for a blood pressure check and when he came into the office, he was all giddy and came over and gave me a high 5 and a hug and said I looked fabulous!  He has not seen me any lighter than 265, and I was 231 with my clothes and boots on that day. 
  • I went shopping at Old Navy and got some pretty cool tops in size L!!
  • I then went to The Gap and found several clearance tops and sweaters in size L!  I have never, ever shopped there in my life, so I was like a kid in a candy store!  Oh and the last time I wore a L was in Jr. High.
  • While on a short road trip with the family on Saturday, I was driving and managed to pull my jacket off without having to pull over and get out to take it off.  I could manuver in my seat quite easily to take it off.
  • I went to The Cheesecake Factory for lunch during our road trip and we were sat in booth.  I slid in easily and had a good 6" between me and the table.  The last time I was there, I couldn't sit in any of the chairs and had to be at a bench seat where the table could be pushed away for me to get in and out of.  That had to be the highlight of my week!!
Stephtay, Dees, Daisymae and 17 others like this

I am just over two weeks post op and I have 2 NSV for this week.

1) I stopped by a store that I am in and out of frequently and the clerk said "You look different today". I took that as a compliment! LOL I think it was probably a combination of both the weight loss so far (23 lbs) and just attitude/happiness.

2) I have been using a handicap parking permit since I injured my hip last year. (The primary reason for the surgery) Yesterday, I not only did not use my parking permit, I parked halfway down the lot at the buggy return! Woo-hoo!!! Again, 23 lbs alone will not make that much difference, but I think it is the weight loss along with the hope that allows me to push myself.

Hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!!!!!!

I was on break at work today and a really tiny gal who works down the hall came to ask a coworker and me if we knew anything about a bunch of bags of clothes that are in the area where she teaches an aerobics class during lunch every day.  She said they had been there for a couple of months and appeared to have been part of a donation drive we had to help people in a nearby area that was devastated by a tornado a couple of months ago.  She said that most of the clothes were in good shape and the jeans appeared to be size 14.  I said they weren't mine, but if they were getting rid of them I wanted to go through them first to see if I could use any of them.  She looked at me and said, "You're not a 14!  Aren't you in at least a 10 or 12?"  Seriously, coming from her, that was huge for me!!  I then went down there with my friend and proceded to walk away with a nice size bag of designer clothes in size large, 12 and a pair of 14's.  I was like a kid in a candy store. 

Jolls, labosco, Shawnaw8246 and 4 others like this

Since I missed this one last week, here a few of my NSVs

• I went to my PCP for a blood pressure check and when he came into the office, he was all giddy and came over and gave me a high 5 and a hug and said I looked fabulous!  He has not seen me any lighter than 265, and I was 231 with my clothes and boots on that day. 
  • I went shopping at Old Navy and got some pretty cool tops in size L!!
  • I then went to The Gap and found several clearance tops and sweaters in size L!  I have never, ever shopped there in my life, so I was like a kid in a candy store!  Oh and the last time I wore a L was in Jr. High.
  • While on a short road trip with the family on Saturday, I was driving and managed to pull my jacket off without having to pull over and get out to take it off.  I could manuver in my seat quite easily to take it off.
  • I went to The Cheesecake Factory for lunch during our road trip and we were sat in booth.  I slid in easily and had a good 6" between me and the table.  The last time I was there, I couldn't sit in any of the chairs and had to be at a bench seat where the table could be pushed away for me to get in and out of.  That had to be the highlight of my week!!

Another fantastic inspiration!

rascus and Jolls like this

My first entries here yay! 

- I am officially out of extended calf sizes in boots. I CRIED when I discovered it, and tossed almost all my boots (and many of my shoes too) into my massive pile of donation stuff in our spare bedroom. I have never been in "normal" boots my whole life. I'm shaking right now its so crazy!

-I've had this dress I was given like a year ago I ADORED on first sight. Black with white polka dots, button up with a little collar. Could never see myself wearing it because of the spare tire... well I'm down over 40lbs from the last time I tried it on, and lo and behold you can BARELY see my tummy in it! I could pull the damn thing on over my head for pete's sake!! :-)

- I finished 1/2 cup of cottage cheese last night! YAY ME! 

It's January 1 and I am not making a resolution to lose weight.  I think this is the first time in 40 years that this has happened.  

It's January 1 and I am not making a resolution to lose weight.  I think this is the first time in 40 years that this has happened.  

My hubby and I were talking about that this morning.  This will be the first year in 17 years we have been married that I am not making the resolution to lose weight!  I am also not making the resolution to exercise more, give up/cut back on drinking pop, or eating better.  It feels a little weird to me.  I looked at hubby and said "what in the heck am I supposed to have for a resolution then?"  He told me he'd get back to me because he didn't know what to do with me either!  LOL!!

Me too on the New Years aha moment!!!  I realized last night that it was the first time in 25ish years that I was not depressed on New Years Eve and sitting around feeling jealous of all the people who were actually "happy" that night.  For me, New Years Eve for years has meant pigging out on crap because I was starting some sort of diet the next day that I knew I was going to fail anyway!

Last night instead of feeling depressed, even though we didn't have plans (hubby on call) I spent the evening collecting and printing recipes to put on index cards for my portable "cookbook" that I am making to carry with me all the time so I can pick up ingredients I don't have at any given time!

I also spent some of the night planning our November Disney trip!  This will be our 5th trip and the first one I will not be using a scooter for my big ole butt!  Although I didn't use the scooter because I am lazy, it hurt to walk.....but my knees are in the shape they are because of my big ole butt!!  I am having knee replacement surgery in June....can't wait to do Disney in shape!!!!

Sonya

My NSV this week- I tried on a Calvin Klein little black dress in a 14 and was able to zip it all the way up! I haven't worn a size 14 dress since about 1997 :) It only gets better from here!

Found out on Monday that I'm down 27lbs at my 2wk post-op visit... I also was able to zip a sweater up i was never able to do that since i bought the sweater it was one of those after surgery rewards

Yesterday at work a colleague told me I was "the incredible shrinking copywriter." And I was wearing a sweatshirt I hadn't been able to fit into for YEARS! I am so happy!

one more thing: I survived a New Years Eve get-together without eating anything naughty. While friends had chips and dip and chocolate Chex Mix, I had a SF Popsicle and flavored water, YAY!

Edited by Sfehrie

My husband referred to me as skinny. I stopped in my step and just looked at him!! We also went shopping and he loaded me up with new clothes for my new position.

My NSV this week is seeing friends I haven't seen since November.  They have been my biggest cheerleaders through this process.  They were shocked at how much weight I've lost.  I am 'only' 2.1 lbs away from onderland!!!

My size Large winter jacket is starting to get loose and I don't care if its a vanity size or not.  Its been years since I've fit into any kind of coat or jacket that wasn't a a 3X.  My size 16 and 18 pants are fitting looser and I need to shop for new clothes.  I'm now fitting into clothes that visually don't look anywhere near to fitting me and then fit like a sack once they are on.  I'm loving the new me.

I don't really WANT to buy "new" clothes during this phase (rapid weight loss). I plan on checking out eBay, craigslist, Goodwill and here... but I was out and felt like looking at clearance items at Casial Male.
I bought 2 shirts that were a size smaller than I'd previously worn and a pair of jeans that were TWO sizes smaller.

These are the same sizes I was wearing 17 years ago, when I got married.

So psyched!!

Eric

I have two from this morning.  Very glad I had them as the scale hasn't moved in a week.

-Wore a pair of size 22 jeans this morning for the first time - then realized a few hours later that they were actually already loose in the rear and had to keep adjusting them.  I was in a size 30 just a few months ago.  My 24s are definitely too big to be comfortable.

-Got in my car, drove several miles and realized that I was sitting in my husband's seat "position" and not mine.  Husband's position is midway to the steering wheel, mine has always been shoved all the way back.  Sitting midway I still had plenty of room between the steering wheel and me.  I have to wonder how long it's been like this.  I tried adjusting the seat all the way back as an experiment and felt like I was driving from another freaking room.

Just got back from vacation and am healing nicely from surgery (2 weeks), so no longer wearing yoga pants and pajamas.  I decided to go shopping in my closet and came to find out that I no longer fit in half my clothes.  I'm down 25 pounds and 2 sizes, so back to my "smaller" clothes.  I bet I'll be too small for them in a month.