Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

5,215 posts in this topic

My jeans were getting baggy and I went to the store. Picked out a pair in what I thought might be the right size, but when I unfolded them to put them on, I thought, no way. Put them on anyway to see whether I needed to go up a size, but they fit OK! Turned around to check the back view and I kid you not, I said (out loud), WHOSE A$$ IS THAT?? I didn't even recognize my own behind.

Also (are we allowed more than one a week?): I think I'm entering the "cold all the time" situation. I still overheat easily if I'm moving around, but if I'm not doing that I'm surprising myself by grabbing a sweater or light jacket.

Right now I'm lying on the floor next to my dog, surfing and watching Netflix. I'm wearing a cardigan and I just threw a quilt over myself. (It's about 69 degrees in the house.)

3 minutes ago, Carina said:

Also (are we allowed more than one a week?): I think I'm entering the "cold all the time" situation. I still overheat easily if I'm moving around, but if I'm not doing that I'm surprising myself by grabbing a sweater or light jacket.

Right now I'm lying on the floor next to my dog, surfing and watching Netflix. I'm wearing a cardigan and I just threw a quilt over myself. (It's about 69 degrees in the house.)

Ah. This "cold all the time" is irrefutable evidence that your weight loss has been effective. 

Congratulations on this (miserable) NSV !

NerdyLady, LeeC, Smashlee83 and 1 other like this

4 hours ago, Carina said:

63 degrees here today.  I had the heat on in the car today!  Dear Lord, they call this summer?!  Bring on the 90's!!

1 hour ago, Cheesehead said:

63 degrees here today.  I had the heat on in the car today!  Dear Lord, they call this summer?!  Bring on the 90's!!

@Cheesehead I love you but I cannot like your post. Bring on the 90's??? I vote NO. :D

Trish13, BurgundyBoy and Clickin like this

9 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

@Cheesehead I love you but I cannot like your post. Bring on the 90's??? I vote NO. :D

NL, don't you have the coldness factor yet?!  Windows closed, snuggled in a blanket, put brownies (for son tomorrow night) in the oven to heat up the house...I refuse to turn on the house heat!!

BurgundyBoy likes this

40 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

NL, don't you have the coldness factor yet?!  Windows closed, snuggled in a blanket, put brownies (for son tomorrow night) in the oven to heat up the house...I refuse to turn on the house heat!!

@Cheesehead I do have the coldness every now and then. New England gets pretty humid and that makes me grumpy. A dry 90's would be lovely. A swampy 90's makes me want to throw things and turn the AC down to 40. 

Cheesehead and Trish13 like this

63 degrees, yesterday it was 97 on my back deck in the shade, today is suppose to be hotter.

since surgery the heat doesn't bother me much but the humidity still kills me.

NerdyLady and BurgundyBoy like this

10 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Ah the 90s! That's a mild summers day where I live. Should start seeing that temp again in about September here.

LeeC, NerdyLady and Cheesehead like this

You guys don't know humidity and heat, come see me in Houston next month. You will know what pure hell feels like :) Also my birthday is next month, so seriously come see me haha.

Also, I am always cold now. I have become one of "those people". I keep a sweater at my desk. Also, every time I get out of bed I come leaping back in and shrieking about how cold it is. My husband has started calling me a pansy. Actually it's another word close to that but not as nice.

I've got a big one...well it's big to me anyway. I was surprised with this trip so quickly that I didn't have time to order any clothes from my usual online catalog. I was a little stressed about it, because the stuff I fit into right now isn't very dressy...I'd say it's just a step above comfortable, lol. Well, after more than 10 years of buying stuff online, I broke down and went to an honest to goodness clothing store. I'm still wearing larger clothes, but quite a bit smaller than I was. I had NO idea what size to look for, and I was terrified I would leave there in tears, with nothing to wear. I asked the sales clerk what the largest size was that they carried, and she said 24. So I looked for some things I liked in that size. I actually ended up finding a nice dress. IN A STORE AND NOT ONLINE!! It's been so long that I've worn "off the rack" that I've forgotten what it was like! I felt so out of place, it wasn't funny. Even though it was a size 24, it fit, and I bought it. I cried all the way out to the car (happy tears). My husband actually teared up when I came out of the dressing room. I can't wait for the day when I don't have to shop in the plus size section any longer, but it felt pretty damn good to be able to fit into something I didn't have to order online!!! Below, I'm posting a pic of me on the morning of surgery, and one of me in the new dress. You can't see a huge weight difference, but I'd still like to share. And again, please be kind...I'm missing a lot of hair :) 

image.jpg

I beg to differ @Trish1967, you can definitely see a big difference. Maybe you'll ditch the online now that you know how satisfying it can be to actually try things on. I've already gone from the plus size of shops to the normal side. It's kind of weird in reality. I still seem to walk into the plus size side of my favourite store and the servers now just look at me and point to the other side. It's a bit of a joke for them now. I still recall a couple of months ago my favourite server walking up to me, taking me by the arm and saying "this is the side you need now".

@Trish1967 It's a huge difference! And I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your progress!

NerdyLady, Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

There's a big difference between those two pictures Trish.  You're doing an amazing job and you're only 2 months post-op!

Trish1967, NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

7 hours ago, Aussie H said:

I beg to differ @Trish1967, you can definitely see a big difference. Maybe you'll ditch the online now that you know how satisfying it can be to actually try things on. I've already gone from the plus size of shops to the normal side. It's kind of weird in reality. I still seem to walk into the plus size side of my favourite store and the servers now just look at me and point to the other side. It's a bit of a joke for them now. I still recall a couple of months ago my favourite server walking up to me, taking me by the arm and saying "this is the side you need now".

Thank you, @Aussie H :) I didn't see much of a difference, but my husband and my daughter said they saw a big change. It was almost surreal actually trying the clothes on before buying them. I was totally out of my comfort zone, but that's what it's all about, right? The clerk came over to us and asked if she could help me find anything. I said all I know is that I'm looking for a dress, but I have no idea what size. I told her how I had just lost a significant amount of weight and had no idea what size yo start with. I had her point me in the direction of the largest size they had, fully expecting nothing to fit. I was really shocked! 

Its got to be pretty amazing for you to be a "normal" size now!! And to have the clerks steering you away from plus size...that's incredible!! I think it might be a while for you to get used to  not automatically walking to the plus sizes now, since (if you're like me) you've probably been in plus sizes for a while. Congratulations!!

Jen581791 likes this

5 hours ago, Carina said:

@Trish1967 It's a huge difference! And I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your progress!

Thank you, @Carina! I'm happy too...still in disbelief, but happy :) It gives me hope that before too long, I'll be shopping even smaller sizes.

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

There's a big difference between those two pictures Trish.  You're doing an amazing job and you're only 2 months post-op!

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

@Cinwa, thank you! It's hard to believe it's already been 2 months...I still remember how freaked out I was in March of 2016 when I had to postpone my WLS...and now here I am out 2 months from surgery :) I'm sticking to my plan like glue with hopes of the best result possible. On a side note, the shoes in the picture are the first regular shoes I've worn in over 10 years. I've been wearing crocks up till now, since my feet swell, in the summer especially. 

NerdyLady likes this

5 hours ago, Carina said:

Trish - quite the difference to say the least. You are doing great and would savor the every moment as all these "normal" things unfold for you. Your postings are a guide not only to your journey, but also insight into the pleasures of daily life that we take for granted until they are gone!

Carina, NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

Wow, @Trish1967, you look so beautiful & happy in your new dress. Your hard work is really showing!

Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

7 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Thank you, @Aussie H 

Its got to be pretty amazing for you to be a "normal" size now!! And to have the clerks steering you away from plus size...that's incredible!! I think it might be a while for you to get used to  not automatically walking to the plus sizes now, since (if you're like me) you've probably been in plus sizes for a while. Congratulations!!

All my life @Trish1967. It's weird, the grass is always greener though as now the display clothes that attract my attention are on the plus size side of the store. Hopefully that'll change when their next seasons stock arrives.

Trish1967, NerdyLady and Cheesehead like this

15 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I've got a big one...well it's big to me anyway. I was surprised with this trip so quickly that I didn't have time to order any clothes from my usual online catalog. I was a little stressed about it, because the stuff I fit into right now isn't very dressy...I'd say it's just a step above comfortable, lol. Well, after more than 10 years of buying stuff online, I broke down and went to an honest to goodness clothing store. I'm still wearing larger clothes, but quite a bit smaller than I was. I had NO idea what size to look for, and I was terrified I would leave there in tears, with nothing to wear. I asked the sales clerk what the largest size was that they carried, and she said 24. So I looked for some things I liked in that size. I actually ended up finding a nice dress. IN A STORE AND NOT ONLINE!! It's been so long that I've worn "off the rack" that I've forgotten what it was like! I felt so out of place, it wasn't funny. Even though it was a size 24, it fit, and I bought it. I cried all the way out to the car (happy tears). My husband actually teared up when I came out of the dressing room. I can't wait for the day when I don't have to shop in the plus size section any longer, but it felt pretty damn good to be able to fit into something I didn't have to order online!!! Below, I'm posting a pic of me on the morning of surgery, and one of me in the new dress. You can't see a huge weight difference, but I'd still like to share. And again, please be kind...I'm missing a lot of hair :) 

This is the best kind of NSV! I can tell that it was so meaningful to you! No doubt you will remember this moment for many years... :-)

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

15 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

All my life @Trish1967. It's weird, the grass is always greener though as now the display clothes that attract my attention are on the plus size side of the store. Hopefully that'll change when their next seasons stock arrives.

It's taken me a long time not to head to the plusvsized.  And for a while I even liked the plus size section even better!  Never realized plus sized had cute clothes, I only wore jeans and tshirts..

Trish1967 you are looking wonderful!  Enjoy your vacation!  Love the dress!

Trish1967 likes this

Great job... You're looking great! 

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

I had a young man offer to help me fill my tires today. I thanked him warmly and said I was good. 5 months ago, I couldn't have bent over to get the caps off AND I was invisible to most people because of how I carried myself. (Although I don't see how, since I took up 2 chairs everywhere I went.)

My Converse fit again! My duck feet are gone, and I have no more pain (the gout, you know) so I can wear heels and tower over people like a good woman should.

My wedding ring flew off my hand when I was reaching for something. And I could crawl around to find it.

Speaking of crawling, I scrambled under my desk to plug in my phone and righted myself without incident. Previously, I would have been like a turtle on its back, at least for a few moments.

I wore a skirt and top to work (first time in 4 years) and I didn't feel like I was in drag.

I was confident enough to apply for a scholarship for school and got it! Holy Shikies!

My underwear looks like a dirndl skirt and/or comes up over my belly button like Stuart on "Mad TV." Maybe not such a victory, especially for my husband's eyeballs. I believe it's time to go shopping, which I can do without tears now.