Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

4,751 posts in this topic

I got my wedding set sized down from a 10.5 to a 9! I've always had chubby hands, so this is super exciting! 

I had been waiting until goal, but that is still 60 pounds away. If I need to do it again, I will, but I can wear my mom's rings now. For my wedding, her sapphire ring fit on my pinky.

I've never been a fast walker - even as a kid but walking was the first thing I took up as part of this weight loss journey.  The lap around the Rose Bowl is just about 3 miles.  The first time I actually made it around the Rose Bowl it took me 96 minutes and I was down and out for the rest of the day.  That was just about 30 months ago.  I've walked and hiked in many places as part of my journey.     I have small book of "huff & puff" hills  and walking paths of various inclines that I've "conquered" during my journey.  

I've been revisiting all my old challenges of hills and paths taking stock with what I can do now.  Today I did a lap around the Rose Bowl in 50 minutes.  Whoo Hooo  Can't seem to get to 4 miles an hour yet but I'll take 3.8!  

I love that I have a neck, and a jawline. I haven't had a jawline in years. Who knew there was still a neck in there? My collars were tight and now they are too big. Every time I dress in the morning I dance about and stick my neck out to look in the mirror and tap on my cheekbones, that actually stick out a little bit beyond my (sunken, normal) cheeks. Then I look at my arms and legs in which you can see A MUSCLE or two and some contour. 

I have become a strutting chicken with scrawny legs. It's grand.

I went from a 44DD to a 40DD in five weeks! I also bought a fitbit and I'm more motivated than ever to keep moving my body!

On May 16, 2017 at 5:41 PM, NerdyLady said:

I went from a 44DD to a 40DD in five weeks! I also bought a fitbit and I'm more motivated than ever to keep moving my body!

Wow!!! I, for one, know how that must feel!!! 46H here, and hoping to lower that number REAL quick! I bet you've never been happier in your life to buy a bra! Lol! Way to go, girl!!!!! :) 

Raeme likes this

20 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

Wow!!! I, for one, know how that must feel!!! 46H here, and hoping to lower that number REAL quick! I bet you've never been happier in your life to buy a bra! Lol! Way to go, girl!!!!! :) 

Trish, I'm higher up the alphabet than you, and SOOOOOOooooo glad they're going away!

Trish1967 and Raeme like this

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

Trish, I'm higher up the alphabet than you, and SOOOOOOooooo glad they're going away!

Lol :) I can't wait!!! One of my NSV goals is to be able to find a bra off the rack. My online clothing shop is going to miss me when I don't need them anymore!

NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

13 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I actually bought a bra at TJ Maxx! I paid $14.99!! Do you know how that felt? I didn't have to go to a specialty store and hope I could find a 44 or 46 that would fit me! 

You'll get there soon, Trish. When we are on the swimsuit cover of Sports Illustrated, we will laugh in a carefree manner. :)

Dtrain84 and Trish1967 like this

5 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I actually bought a bra at TJ Maxx! I paid $14.99!! Do you know how that felt? I didn't have to go to a specialty store and hope I could find a 44 or 46 that would fit me! 

You'll get there soon, Trish. When we are on the swimsuit cover of Sports Illustrated, we will laugh in a carefree manner. :)

Wow...$14.99? Off the rack? It must have felt amazing!!! I have been ordering my bras online as long as I can remember, and the cheapest I could find was $35 plus tax, and that's only if there was a sale. I usually pay close to $50. For 1! 

And I SO LOVE your humor!! I can see me on the cover of sports illustrated...bahaha!! Now you, on the other hand, you can do a solo and get rich as you're laughing in a carefree manner!! :) you're the best :wub:

NerdyLady likes this

17 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Gulp...lol! The highest I've been is an "I" cup, but I'm "back down" to an H...hahaha! Do I dare ask how much higher on the alphabet you are?

Jen581791 likes this

5 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Wow...$14.99? Off the rack? It must have felt amazing!!! I have been ordering my bras online as long as I can remember, and the cheapest I could find was $35 plus tax, and that's only if there was a sale. I usually pay close to $50. For 1! 

And I SO LOVE your humor!! I can see me on the cover of sports illustrated...bahaha!! Now you, on the other hand, you can do a solo and get rich as you're laughing in a carefree manner!! :) you're the best :wub:

I also bought my bras online. I cannot believe that I managed to get something at TJMaxx. I was stunned.

xoxo

Trish1967 likes this

5 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Gulp...lol! The highest I've been is an "I" cup, but I'm "back down" to an H...hahaha! Do I dare ask how much higher on the alphabet you are?

We'll just leave it at "higher." I am so looking forward to buying bras at a store instead of online. That will be a huge NSV for me. 

Trish1967 likes this

13 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

We'll just leave it at "higher." I am so looking forward to buying bras at a store instead of online. That will be a huge NSV for me. 

Lol :D I hear ya! I can't remember the last time I bought a bra in a store...I'll probably do the happy dance in the dressing room!!

NerdyLady likes this

19 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

I also bought my bras online. I cannot believe that I managed to get something at TJMaxx. I was stunned.

xoxo

Stunned is fabulous in this situation!! :D

BurgundyBoy and NerdyLady like this

On 5/20/2017 at 9:04 PM, Trish1967 said:

Lol :) I can't wait!!! One of my NSV goals is to be able to find a bra off the rack. My online clothing shop is going to miss me when I don't need them anymore!

Good riddance to the special shops that sell us ugly clothes and undies. Worse, you buy a top you think is cute and twenty other beautiful obese ladies are wearing the same outfit! 

Trish1967 and like_rain_to_sea like this

My NSV is that yesterday, I walked 4 miles. I'm finding that friends are being supportive by choosing exercise instead of hanging out over food. 

Yesterday I went cycling. I use cycling shoes that clip into the bike pedals for better power transfer. When I put the shoes on, which I have owned for some years, I had to buckle them tighter. My feet are smaller. 

MY FEET are SMALLER. 

Years of no arch to feet. Years of being worried I would turn my ankle and rip out the ligaments holding my ankle together. Years of a changed gait, really a kind of waddle, because of my weight. 

I went from a 7 - 8 extra wide down to a 5 1/2 regular shoe and my wedding/engagement rings went from an 8 to a 5 (it was a 4.5 when I overshot and ended up slightly in the underweight BMI category for a while).

Delicious. Did you get to buy all new shoes? 

My wedding band was immovable for years. It's still hard to remove - big knuckles are the problem now - but I woke up recently with the ring on my 5th finger, not my 4th... I fell asleep after delighting myself with the feeling of it on a different finger. It's now safely back where it belongs but what a thrill.  I am kind of hoping it rattles about. When we had the rings made, I was at my target weight, maybe I won't need it resized. Nice to think about. 

So am dreaming of a new suit, some custom shirts, and now.. more shoes. I could get to like this. 

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

Good riddance to the special shops that sell us ugly clothes and undies. Worse, you buy a top you think is cute and twenty other beautiful obese ladies are wearing the same outfit! 

Amen to that!! I always feel like I'm wearing maternity tops!! I haven't encountered others wearing the same clothes as me, but I order everything from Roamans.com. I have, however, seen other beautiful obese (love it) ladies wearing the same outfits. I can't find anything off the rack that fits, but I think part of that is that I wear everything loose, and it needs to fall at least 32" long. 

like_rain_to_sea and NerdyLady like this

2 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

My NSV is that yesterday, I walked 4 miles. I'm finding that friends are being supportive by choosing exercise instead of hanging out over food. 

That's great!! You will be the driving force behind getting your friends to start getting healthy!! 4 miles is impressive :) I can't even walk to the end of my driveway yet...but I'll get there!

like_rain_to_sea likes this

35 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Yesterday I went cycling. I use cycling shoes that clip into the bike pedals for better power transfer. When I put the shoes on, which I have owned for some years, I had to buckle them tighter. My feet are smaller. 

MY FEET are SMALLER. 

Years of no arch to feet. Years of being worried I would turn my ankle and rip out the ligaments holding my ankle together. Years of a changed gait, really a kind of waddle, because of my weight. 

YES!!! I didn't even know that smaller feet was a thing :) I mean, I figured they would probably shrink width wise to a point, but still...WOW! Great job with the cycling...keep it up!!

NerdyLady and like_rain_to_sea like this

28 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I went from a 7 - 8 extra wide down to a 5 1/2 regular shoe and my wedding/engagement rings went from an 8 to a 5 (it was a 4.5 when I overshot and ended up slightly in the underweight BMI category for a while).

That is a huge change in shoe size! I never bought larger wedding rings, so my size 6's are patiently waiting for me in my jewelry box :) That's something I really can't wait for...to wear my rings again!

NerdyLady and like_rain_to_sea like this

37 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

YES!!! I didn't even know that smaller feet was a thing :) I mean, I figured they would probably shrink width wise to a point, but still...WOW! Great job with the cycling...keep it up!!

Trish1967, when I was younger I was quite athletic. It was one of the hardest things to say goodbye to as I got heavier. Now it's like an old friend that welcomes you home. If that was not part of your past, I sincerely wish you not only success with WLS, but that you also have moments where you exult in your own body. So having my feet re-appear is the old friend coming out of the wood-work. 

You can become addicted to exercise, in the sense that you go through a kind of withdrawl if you don't get any. I am hoping to replace my addiction to food with this healthier one. A positive habit. Excuse me if you have already read this, but there is a great book by a guy named Duhigg on Habits and Why We Have Them. I so want to be in the habit of getting daily, extensive, rewarding, pleasurable exercise. For all the reasons our food addictions are bad, exercise is (mostly) good (the joints do wear out from overuse, and from carrying too much weight).

One of the things we all post about is how not to engage in unhealthy food related behaviors... but I think there is some merit in discussing what to (positively) replace those with. I just don't think that Crystal Light is sufficient motivation for me compared to the beauty of a New England spring as seen from a bike. 

2 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Trish1967, when I was younger I was quite athletic. It was one of the hardest things to say goodbye to as I got heavier. Now it's like an old friend that welcomes you home. If that was not part of your past, I sincerely wish you not only success with WLS, but that you also have moments where you exult in your own body. So having my feet re-appear is the old friend coming out of the wood-work. 

You can become addicted to exercise, in the sense that you go through a kind of withdrawl if you don't get any. I am hoping to replace my addiction to food with this healthier one. A positive habit. Excuse me if you have already read this, but there is a great book by a guy named Duhigg on Habits and Why We Have Them. I so want to be in the habit of getting daily, extensive, rewarding, pleasurable exercise. For all the reasons our food addictions are bad, exercise is (mostly) good (the joints do wear out from overuse, and from carrying too much weight).

One of the things we all post about is how not to engage in unhealthy food related behaviors... but I think there is some merit in discussing what to (positively) replace those with. I just don't think that Crystal Light is sufficient motivation for me compared to the beauty of a New England spring as seen from a bike. 

Just prior to the beginning of the end (the start of this awful weight gain) in my mid 20's, I was very athletic. I biked, swam, climbed a nice mountain trail close by, walked 5-7 miles per day...and especially the walking was addicting, at least for me. I was not an overweight child or teen. It was very hard watching from the sidelines, when I was once a participant, many of the activities I once enjoyed. I can relate. I haven't heard of the book, but it sounds like something I'd like to read. I'd really really like to replace my food addiction with exercise again! I probably won't be able to return to the level and intensity of workouts I was used to, but I'm excited to at least be in the position to TRY :) There is definitely merit to discussing what activities are available to replace our food addictions!! I think we need more of that type of conversation here!

NerdyLady likes this