Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

4,836 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, JulieW said:

My victory today? The huge change that has happened in regards to an old habit. 

Today I was struck with remembering the one habit that is gone. Gone without even realizing it! On my way home from Target today I remembered how I always bought a snickers bar to eat in the car on my way home. I would toss the wrapper out the window :( when there wasn't a car around so I didn't have to hide the wrapper at home. 

I did that...A LOT! I haven't eaten a candy bar for 2 years! A piece of chocolate, or a bite of candy but not an entire candy bar. And the best thing? I don't care and I don't even miss it!

Oh yes, hiding the evidence:huh:..I'm sure many of us have done this...I never used a drive through because it's harder to hide!  Under my car seat until I could find some place to dispose of it..

JulieW likes this

This week was pretty massive, but gave me a crazy, daunting task ahead of me.

We called our regular bank to look into refinancing our home. We had a good conversation and learned that we would qualify for a refi and could get cash back to start paying off debt. Good deal. That got us to thinking about "If we can get this smallish cash back from the refi, what about looking into just selling the house and buying a new one?" So, we started looking at new houses. We found a house and floorplan layout we really like (it hasn't been built yet, but there are lots available to build in the neighborhood we're looking at) and ran the numbers against our budget: turns out we can afford to pay the slightly higher mortgage and there's a good likelihood that we will be able to make enough on our current house to pay 20% down on the new house and pay off the same amount of debt that we wanted to pay off by just refinancing. We spoke to a realtor to start getting an estimate and suggestions about our house and what we would need to do to get it ready. He said that it was pretty close and in really good condition for having lived here for almost 8 years, but we do have a few things we need to do. The new house won't be done until probably July, but we will be putting our house on the market next month to sell so we can have the money for the down and deposits on the upgrades we really want. Next month! Anxiety spike! My sister in law offered to house our family for the months that we will be basically without a home because her husband just relocated for a new job and she is still here with her own job until he passes probation and becomes permanent in the late spring/early summer. Perfect timing for our house. So, we have a place to go and will basically be paying her mortgage while we live there (it's less than what we pay on our current house).

Lots of good stuff, and all of this happened over the last week! Big changes for us this year, it seems. Now, to tackle my garage that has become a haven of storage and stuff that is just put in there because it needs to get out of the house. Hoping to make a major dent, if not completely go through it, by the end of this weekend (Monday is a holiday for us, so we have three days ahead of us).

Good times!

Tried on bridesmaid dresses today with my sisters.  The lady who owned the shop was helping us.   She kept saying we had to find something flattering for me because I'm so lean.  I was super self conscious because of my small saggy chest but she was clueless that I had been heavy and just kept saying "you're fit and lean there's nothing to be self conscious about."   I felt like laughing and crying at the same time. I'm fit and lean--what????

Res Ipsa, Minfit, LeeC and 15 others like this

blood work this a.m. gave me the A1C results before I left. lowest its been in 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!! 5.5!!!

ohh ohh ohh I have a big one! I was at my local Starbucks working and the barista came by with a bunch of frappucinos a trainee had made and was giving them away for FREE! they looked so good, but I told myself that just because it's 0 dollars doesn't make it 0 calories. I'd have NEVER refused a free sweet before! 

I kind of still can't believe these words are coming from me.  But I'm a runner now.  Not a fast one.  But one nonetheless.  I completed a 5k and 10k (a day apart) this month, and have officially been bitten by the bug.  I signed up for another 5k tomorrow, one in February,  trying to grab a last-minute bib for a different one in February, and am signed up for 5's and 10's in April and November.  My friend and I have made the decision to start training for a couple halfs next year.  

I also joined a gym the week of Thanksgiving and go 3-4 days a week now.  I miss it if I don't, how nuts is that?!  I'm starting to see some definition and am definitely noticing a difference in my general fitness level.  Someone at my office commented that I was in really good shape.  I've had a couple others tell me they've been inspired to start walking at lunchtime because they see me do it.  And a (very average sized) friend has started walking a little with me at lunch and I find that I have to slow waaaay down and only do 2 miles for her to keep up - she commented "I'm just not in shape like you are yet!"  This stuff is still very hard for me to wrap my head around.

Clickin, athenarose, LadyFl and 7 others like this

Went to a friend's home today.  We text everyday.  We have not seen eachother in 6 months. She said "you are so smalI I could rap my arms around you twice."  "Small" is my trigger word.  For the first time, I just said "thank you."  I even went into store and bought my kids "junk food."  I did not get myself anything.   I am a work in progress. At least I am moving forward. 

LeeC, Clickin, Cheesehead and 5 others like this

I had to go help someone quickly at work, so I jogged from one side of the campus to the other. Got into the conference room and I wasn't embarrassed by being totally out of breath.

Still not a runner. No idea how you marathoners do it--I feel like I"m going to die if I run for more than five minutes :)

46 minutes ago, MarktheNerd said:

I had to go help someone quickly at work, so I jogged from one side of the campus to the other. Got into the conference room and I wasn't embarrassed by being totally out of breath.

Still not a runner. No idea how you marathoners do it--I feel like I"m going to die if I run for more than five minutes :)

I like this Mark. I've tried running multiple times, never this "small" I know I can for a minute or so and be totally fine. I'm thinking I will give it a go here soon to see my max capacity..... I move a lot during work, 10 thousand steps says my fit bit. So we will see if I can bump it up a notice to running! Sounds like a good idea idk....

Res Ipsa likes this

13 hours ago, MarktheNerd said:

Try Couch to 5K!  That's how I started and it breaks it down to a beginner level.  Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you need, or go a little slower than their pace suggests.  That program works you up to running an entire 5k at once.  I did that but found that I work much better with intervals.  If you find that you like the intervals, check out Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway plans online.  They're designed to have you take walk breaks before you're actually worn out from the running intervals, to help minimize any potential for injury and keep your stamina up.

MarktheNerd and Waisting like this

Today my teenie sister asked me to help her stay motivated about working out!!! What????

LeeC, Cheesehead, Clickin and 5 others like this

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, LadyFl said:

I am a work in progress.

Hi All,

Haven't posted in a while, I have honestly not been doing the greatest, my weight loss has stalled pretty significantly for about the past 3 months or so. No real secret there, I have discovered that while I cannot eat exactly like I used to, I do not have dumping, and can eat in the same manner as I once did if not the quantities, if I chose to.Anyways this is an

I went to Mexico on business last week and ate very poorly the entire time- call it not preparing properly for the trip, or vacation mentality but the bottom line was that I ate what I wanted just in much smaller quantities than in my past- the good news, not the NSV, was that when I came home from Mexico I weighed exactly what I did when I left. So what felt like out of control eating was still nothing compared to pre surgery eating.

The NSV was that my sons were at a roller skating party the day I flew home, so I met up with them at the skating rink and skated for about an hour and a half. I hadn't been on skates for about 30 years at that point!

I actually did well and had a lot of fun and my sons loved it.

It just helped remind me why I got the surgery in the first place and what is important to me- it is look on my son's faces when I rolled out onto the floor and skated with them.

It does seem as though the surgery has taken me as far as it can without my direct help to a loss of 140lbs, time to remember why I did this in the first place and start helping the surgery instead of fighting with it and trying to defeat it.

I am also not the poster child for weight loss surgery, I have stumbled and fallen but not stayed down and not done too much damage in the process thankfully.

I love the words LadyFi used above "I am a work in progress" too

Kenb72 - we are all a work in progress.

But it is where we go with our life in the future, rather than the mistakes that we have made in the past, that really matters. So I suggest that you go back to basics and follow the post op diet strictly, drink lots of liquids, get the "bad food" out of your house, plan and log your food intake, and try to have an active lifestyle. If you do all that, you will over the next few weeks and months lose more weight and work towards reaching your goal weight. You can do it and we are here to support you.

Your weight loss surgery is a very powerful weight loss tool, and it is still inside you ready to help you lose a lot more weight. 

Remember, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. 

Zyia, Raeme, LadyFl and 4 others like this

I just got back from the gym.  For me, I love this feeling of my  "muscles burning"  over any food I could ever eat.  I just have to remind myself of this daily.  I can not do this without working out.  It is part of my recovery.  That is my NSV. 

Res Ipsa, Raeme, debbio and 4 others like this

9 hours ago, Kenb72 said:

Hi All,

Haven't posted in a while, I have honestly not been doing the greatest, my weight loss has stalled pretty significantly for about the past 3 months or so. No real secret there, I have discovered that while I cannot eat exactly like I used to, I do not have dumping, and can eat in the same manner as I once did if not the quantities, if I chose to.Anyways this is an

I went to Mexico on business last week and ate very poorly the entire time- call it not preparing properly for the trip, or vacation mentality but the bottom line was that I ate what I wanted just in much smaller quantities than in my past- the good news, not the NSV, was that when I came home from Mexico I weighed exactly what I did when I left. So what felt like out of control eating was still nothing compared to pre surgery eating.

The NSV was that my sons were at a roller skating party the day I flew home, so I met up with them at the skating rink and skated for about an hour and a half. I hadn't been on skates for about 30 years at that point!

I actually did well and had a lot of fun and my sons loved it.

It just helped remind me why I got the surgery in the first place and what is important to me- it is look on my son's faces when I rolled out onto the floor and skated with them.

It does seem as though the surgery has taken me as far as it can without my direct help to a loss of 140lbs, time to remember why I did this in the first place and start helping the surgery instead of fighting with it and trying to defeat it.

I am also not the poster child for weight loss surgery, I have stumbled and fallen but not stayed down and not done too much damage in the process thankfully.

I love the words LadyFi used above "I am a work in progress" too

Ken, you have your goal in sight!  You can get there!  Get back in the saddle and remember why you had wls.  Get your focus back!  You've done great losing 140 pounds!  Now to get the last 30 off!  

Wls is not a license to eat as we please but a tool to help us maintain a healthy lifestyle.  You are so close...

Raeme, Res Ipsa and LadyFl like this

I can sit indian style comfortably and I fit much much better in the shower!

LeeC, Clickin, Cheesehead and 3 others like this

I've struggled with feeling different even while people were telling me there were some major changes in my appearance. I think we all know that feeling of "I'm still about the same size, what are they talking about?". My daughter brought up a picture from 2 years ago and then a picture taken just a few weeks ago. Wow...I had no idea. It's one thing to see the sizes of the clothes change and feel more energy and healthier, but to also have it in a picture? I'm so thankful for all of the support I've received from family, friends, physicians, and my own will to succeed that helped make this happen.

After.JPG

Before.JPG

Clickin, LadyFl, Cheesehead and 6 others like this

1.5 Years ago my stomach would sometimes rub the steering wheel in my truck. yesterday I had to take 2 dogs to the vet, coming home I noticed both on my lap standing between me & the steering wheel. 1 was a 12 pound Yorkie & other was a 11.5 Yorkie/ Miniature Schnauzer cros

athenarose, Clickin, LeeC and 3 others like this

Posted (edited)

For me the last 2.6 years has been a mind changer.  Yes, I have lost weight physically.  The most important thing that I gained is "joy." I have returned from the dead.  I am laughing everyday.  That is my NSV.  Now, time to go an workout! 

Edited by LadyFl

I took my first bike ride in 15 years! I love that I have a body now that will physically support what I mentally want to do.

IMG_20170317_180823400_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170317_184002695.jpg

walkat103, LadyFl, Raeme and 7 others like this

So I went looking for a pair of light-colored capris for Easter...and I was able to fit a size 10! So excited. Haven't been a 10 since high school. I didn't purchase them because they were snug, but I couldn't believe I could get them on!

Even though I'm on steroids, I'm still losing inches around my waist. The water weight seems to only be in my face, which I'm ok with. Yay! Happy Dance Time!:wub:

I ran two races last weekend, a 5k and a 10k the next day.  It was CRAZY hot/humid and I still managed to PR by almost 7 minutes in the 10k.  Today I signed up for races in February - a 5k, 10k the next day, followed by a HALF MARATHON the day after that.  I'm freaking out a little.  I don't want to be a very long distance runner, but I want to see if I can do it once.  Okay, that's a little bit of a lie because there is a special additional medal if you complete a half on each coast (Disney thing) in a year, so there will be a second one a couple months later.  But after that I plan to stick to the 5's and 10's.  

I'm also starting to train a friend how to run.  She came to me asking if I would help.  It's hard to explain to her why that was such a foreign concept to me.

Raeme, Clickin, Havamal and 2 others like this

I've had so many NSVs lately!  I now track my food religiously, even though i was a staunch anti-tracker before. I just bought a pedometer to track my steps daily. I am exercising more. I plan on doing the couch to 5k program. I just bought a bike! Haven't had once in over 10 years! My boys and I will be biking many trails this summer. We also completed the 5k color run, and are signed up for another fun run in June. This is the most active I've ever been with them. This is what it's all about, folks.  i'm leaving behind the fat girl and embracing my smaller, more limber, more active self.  The cherry on top is we are exercising more as a family and spending quality time together that doesn't involve a screen.  I'm feeling so grateful. 

3 minutes ago, bellamoma said:

I'm leaving behind the fat girl and embracing my smaller, more limber, more active self.  The cherry on top is we are exercising more as a family and spending quality time together that doesn't involve a screen.  I'm feeling so grateful. 

This is wonderful news! :)

It is so true that weight loss surgery can change the lives of both the patient and his/her family. 

Raeme, bellamoma and cinwa like this

19 hours ago, bellamoma said:

..............  The cherry on top is we are exercising more as a family and spending quality time together that doesn't involve a screen.  I'm feeling so grateful. 

I couldn't agree more!

Sometimes we need to stand back and focus on the other benefits of losing excess weight aside from wearing skinny clothes etc.    

Raeme, Res Ipsa and bellamoma like this