Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

I've not checked in here in a while... but just throwing out a few NSVs to cover the past couple months: 

-My husband can literally bench press me.

-I have several articles of clothing that have an xs on the tag. 

-My friends are envious of my "thigh gap"

and most importantly I am so proud of myself --  my bravery (for having the surgery), my independence (to do what I needed to do for me,  myself,  and I), and my dedication (sticking to healthy eating, and self control).

9 minutes ago, kdeniset said:

I've not checked in here in a while... but just throwing out a few NSVs to cover the past couple months: 

-My husband can literally bench press me.

-I have several articles of clothing that have an xs on the tag. 

-My friends are envious of my "thigh gap"

and most importantly I am so proud of myself --  my bravery (for having the surgery), my independence (to do what I needed to do for me,  myself,  and I), and my dedication (sticking to healthy eating, and self control).

Yeah to you!  Happy Thanksgiving. 

I ran LA's Turkey Trot 5K early yesterday morning to benefit The Midnight Mission, a wonderful organization that works to combat homelessness. This time last year, I was about 6 weeks post-op and after seeing a story about the event on TV, I promised myself that I would run it the following year. I've never in my life been a runner but I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it and run the whole way without stopping. At nearly 280 pounds, this would not have been possible but after a year of dedication to fitness and health, I was able to keep my promise to myself.

Edited by Jabsie

31 minutes ago, Jabsie said:

I ran LA's Turkey Trot 5K early yesterday morning to benefit The Midnight Mission, a wonderful organization that works to combat homelessness. This time last year, I was about 6 weeks post-op and after seeing a story about the event on TV, I promised myself that I would run it the following year. I've never in my life been a runner but I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it and run the whole way without stopping. At nearly 280 pounds, this would not have been possible but after a year of dedication to fitness and health, I was able to keep my promise to myself.

Wow. Great job!

I haven't been on for a few weeks, but about two weeks ago my husband surprised me with a date to Happy Wheels. I rollerbladed!!!!!! I'm sure I didn't look graceful but I never fell and I actually did it. Before losing some weight I never would have even attempted to roller blade :) 

We went to a party after work and I was introduced to a client of my husband's I hadn't met before.  The guy had had a few drinks and when I walked away he told my hubby that he has a smoking hot wife. My sweetie said grinned and said yeah I know!! After being together for almost 36 years he said he still loves knowing I'm going home with him!

After walking through the mall for several hours, I was able to run past everyone to our car in the rain.  It does not seem like a big deal. However, it is a real big deal to me.  Running is something I have never been able to until recently.  Still not sure I like it:D

Edited by LadyFl

NSV of the month...I think.  I haven't posted in a while, but I have come to realize that I have a new normal.  Not just being able to buy smaller clothes, but feeling more comfortable in my body is slowly happening.  Yes, I still compare myself to others, but I am happy with my physical self for the first time in my life.  It still bothers me that men are nicer and more flirtatious now (I'm happily married and my husband finds it hilarious), BUT my new found confidence makes a world of difference to me.

I've never posted on this thread before, but I had a big NSV this week that I wanted to share. Yesterday, I fit into size 4 jeans (and they were comfortable and flattering enough to wear out in public). Also, I grabbed a jacket to wear and zipped it up before realizing it was belonged to my 10 year old (who wears a boys 10/12). Most of the time, this weight loss doesn't feel quite real (my mind definitely hasn't caught up yet) and I don't feel as "tiny" as people tell me I am, but being able to fit in such small clothes was definitely an a-ha moment.

been awhile since I have been on her, I crossed my legs today, I wore leggings with a long shirt and knee boots!!! Wow, I was a little uncomfortable to start with, kept pulling my shirt down to cover my butt and my husband said STOP THAT, it was funny.  By the end of the day it seem normal.  When we went into the restaurant it seem like everyone was looking at me, my husband said, of course they are, you are beautiful! I almost cried , 61 lbs. Gone forever. I am 3 months out today so I am happy with my results 

I just realized this. When I was looking for a place to move to a few months ago, I purposely chose a town house with stairs instead of an apartment. I wanted that lay out instead of having people maybe below or above us as well as to the side.

Well the stairs haven't been an issue at all. I can't even believe they ever bothered me! I had so much ankle pain prior to surgery stairs were like my enemy. I felt like I was heaving myself up, and going down stairs even hurt my ankle so much. Now I am up and down the stairs all day like when I was a kid. Freedom! 

21 hours ago, lightenupwoman said:

Freedom! 

I pictured Braveheart where William Wallace is on the slab and cries out FREEDOM!   at the very end- lot's of parallels to my weight loss there too.

Good for you and congrats

On 12/6/2016 at 2:37 PM, athenarose said:

I've never posted on this thread before, but I had a big NSV this week that I wanted to share. Yesterday, I fit into size 4 jeans (and they were comfortable and flattering enough to wear out in public). Also, I grabbed a jacket to wear and zipped it up before realizing it was belonged to my 10 year old (who wears a boys 10/12). Most of the time, this weight loss doesn't feel quite real (my mind definitely hasn't caught up yet) and I don't feel as "tiny" as people tell me I am, but being able to fit in such small clothes was definitely an a-ha moment.

This resonates with me so much.  I am in a size 10/8, and I have been there since about May, but my daughter (who is a girls size 12) and I can share my Christmas t-shirts and tunic tops I got from The Loft in a size small.  It's just weird to raid her closet or have her in my tops.  

It doesn't feel real. I definitely still feel chubby -- and truly -- I am continually amazed that at this weight/size I can see so much "fat" left to go -- not an anorexic by any stretch -- I can grab a lot of fat -- but I "get to" my ribs now -- which is amazing.

My NSV is that my wedding rings fit again, woo-hoo! I haven't been able to wear them for many years. :)  

7 hours ago, tkk54915 said:

My NSV is that my wedding rings fit again, woo-hoo! I haven't been able to wear them for many years. :)  

Out of all of my WLS successes, the best was being able to wear my wedding ring.  

Once I started losing the weight, I couldn't wear it for fear of it falling off because I went from an 8 down to a 4 at my lowest but ended up having it resized to a 4.5 and I couldn't have it resized until my weight stabilized because it's square and a piece had to be taken out from the 4 sides which was as expensive as buying a new one (which was never an option).

A NSV for me are the veins in my arms and hands are showing.  The phlebotomist at the VA doesn't have to slap and beat the crap out of my arms anymore to find a vein to draw blood from. 

My butt hurts!!!

LOL. An odd NSV, I know, but seriously, my butt hurts when I've been sitting for a while because I don't have nearly as much cushion anymore. It causes me to stand up and walk around if I've been sitting for too long. I don't remember having that problem much at all pre-surgery. I could sit for hours on end. I love my new life. Butt pain and all!

Oh and over the holiday, my 90-year-old grandma, who LOVES to let people know they "sure are gettin' big" and "got some thick thighs", told me that I don't need to lose any more weight. Coming from her of all people ... must mean I'm in pretty good shape! LOL.  Bless her heart! <3

On 12/23/2016 at 0:16 AM, la.craig said:

A NSV for me are the veins in my arms and hands are showing.  The phlebotomist at the VA doesn't have to slap and beat the crap out of my arms anymore to find a vein to draw blood from. 

Niiice. Getting swol, brah!

I had a massage yesterday and the therapist said "you're a bony little thing". 1+ years in maintenance and comments like that still blow my mind. Me? A bony little thing?

i finally got some new underwear! I have gone from size 12 PANTIES to a 8, bra, 44d to 38c. Hated to loose a cup size but that's how it is. 

Snowshoeing!  Tried it and really liked it.  It was basically walking with weird shoes on.  I live in NH, making lemonade out of lemons.

Saturday night I went to a work party.  Things were crowded so I sat on the stairs with a plate of food on my lap.  I never would have attempted that before-I'd have blocked the stairs and there wasn't enough lap to hold a plate;). Lol!

My sister is getting married!!! I can't believe it but I don't care what kind of dress she picks for bridesmaids!!! I don't like my saggy small chest but I can manage it!!!  Two years ago I would have enthusiastically suggested (but been very sad) I sit out of the wedding party because I would have rather not been a direct part of the celebration than to deal with the humiliation of being by far the biggest person who would have felt super ugly in anything she would have wanted.  I know that's all run together but it's hard to remember feeling like the super large person in the room and trying to pretend you don't care.  I like not being obese. 

My victory today? The huge change that has happened in regards to an old habit. 

Today I was struck with remembering the one habit that is gone. Gone without even realizing it! On my way home from Target today I remembered how I always bought a snickers bar to eat in the car on my way home. I would toss the wrapper out the window :( when there wasn't a car around so I didn't have to hide the wrapper at home. 

I did that...A LOT! I haven't eaten a candy bar for 2 years! A piece of chocolate, or a bite of candy but not an entire candy bar. And the best thing? I don't care and I don't even miss it!

I was able to buy women's gloves!  I have large hands and with the added fat in them they never fit in women's mittens or gloves. I found a pair of women's gloves on clearance at Sams yesterday, tried them on and they fit!  I was also never able to wear slip on bracelets-now some fit (some don't).