Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

4,695 posts in this topic

I walk the halls of the hospital on slow nights with a friend of mine. She is this short skinny girl. Anyway the hall that we walk in has doors that are usually open on one side. I was skinny enough that we could walk side by side with out turning to go through the doors! LOL I found this hilarious!

Great NSV!

I played the Kinecks today with my teenage son... it takes your picture at times. Later on he was looking them up on line (They are not the best quality) and I asked him who THAT person was!?!? He said "MOM! That's you!" I could not believe my eyes that the normal sized looking person was me!! (See pictures below).

post-33070-0-10086300-1388039863_thumb.j

post-33070-0-28644100-1388039828_thumb.j

Edited by Becca52

How great they all are!

Mine was when my 17 year old nephew hugged me and said "you feel so tiny" . That felt good to hear.

Dees, Shawnaw8246, labosco and 8 others like this

I am comfortably wearing a pair of "dream" levi's today that I bought before surgery as a piece of "goal clothing."  I tried them on a couple weeks ago and got them on and zipped them, but too tight to wear to work.  After the scale barely moving last week I almost didn't bother this morning but changed my mind as my other jeans are just too big.  The levi's now fit comfortably!

I have not worn levi's in over 30 years.  :)

Despite telling my mother that I wear a L, and that some L shirts are even slightly too big in the abdomen (not the arms - far too much skin), she bought me two shirts in XL, under the guise that they looked like they run small. She's right that they do look small for XL...but they were still too big. No amount of talking would convince her. I had to try them on.

Edit: in my lifetime, my mother has NEVER bought me anything that was TOO BIG.

Edited by sakura

Wearing XL for the first time since high school - 30 years ago!

Christmas Day, eating such a small amount of food, with no cravings, and being satisfied with it. Amazing.

This one is dumb, but I went to open a water bottle while sitting in my recliner yesterday, and realized it wouldn't open. I always used to open them by holding the bottle between my thighs and twisting the cap off with one hand.

Well my thighs have gone down so much that there isn't enough bulk to hold the bottle. It just turned and turned for a while before I figured out what was going on.

I never realized how much I had adapted to my fat and used it on a daily basis. I used to tuck my lap napkin under my stomach so it didn't fall on the floor (my thighs were so large there was almost a 45 degree slope on my lap).

I used to use my weight as ballast to pick up heavy things. I would arch my back and hold them close to me, and my weight kept me from toppling. The other day I tried to do that with the roaster and I just about fell on my face. I forgot I don't have all that booty to balance me out, lol!

post-31818-0-16784600-1388072822_thumb.j

My partner bought me one of the photos from the half-marathon I walked in October and framed it beautifully. [i took it out of the frame to take a shot with my iphone so I could post it, but she said she had to remat it so I hope it is ok :).] This was taken after the 8 mile mark and I was tired and hurting but I was still walking and did so to the very end! (and beyond cause I had to walk back to the car :)).

I just never thought I would be able to do something like this.

Have punched two new holes in my belt, each 1" apart, in the last 2 weeks. And now I have to measure it and buy a new belt, because I've run into the woven cloth part of it, no more leather to punch holes in.

My niece told me that it looks like someone sucked all the fat from my face and I look like a teenager!

This week mine is Holding up a size Med in Pjs thinking NO WAY can i fit into these....and actually sliding them on to find they're too big. It's crazy that almost one year out and i still can't get my brain to realize that i am smaller. 

Two weeks ago, we discovered that my (5'4") wife can fit her arms fully around my stomach (down 57 lbs, total, so far).

Last Friday night, on my way out of my parents' house (we visit every Friday night), my dad patted me on the arm and told me he was proud of me.

...I managed to make it out of the house before I teared up.

Eric

My mother in law gave me a sweater vest thing for christmas (knit arms and back but solid front) and it's a small petite.  whoa.  fits.

My sister in law gave me some capri yoga pants in a medium.  a little too big.  whoa.

My step son hugged me and promptly picked me up and bragged that he could do it.  whoaaa...  freaked me out that he did it!

Yesterday I received many compliments from my family.  Also, I went to Old Navy and actually bought a pair of jeans.  I shopped in a regular store!!! I don't remember ever being a size 16.

What a great thread!!  Thanks Jolls, for starting it!

Christmas morning tried on a 3x shirt (just for fun) and it fit comfortably....tried the same shirt on 3 weeks ago and I had to stretch it over my belly and butt!!!! At my highest last year I was a 6x, at surgery in September I was a 5x. Haven't been a 3x in 20 years. I know I still have a long "weigh" to go, but for the first time in 30+ years I have hope and I had really lost that!

Sonya

All of these are so fantastic! ! Last weekend I was shopping for a new sweater at Bloomingdale's and automatically grabbed the XL to take to the fitting room... had to get the sales person's attention to please bring a L because I was swimming in the XL. When she came back she had both the L and the M with her because she thought it might work...sure enough- the medium fit!!! I haven't put on a medium since about 1993.

Put on a pretty red and black wool plaid skirt I bought in November at the Eddie Bauer outlet to wear for the very first time to work on Christmas day (yep yesterday, and yes, I worked) and it was just too big. I have to return it - I'm kinda sad, but really happy too!

Dancing! Dancing! Did I say I was doing the happy dance???!!!!!

I just got my first labs - I'm five months out.

Vitamin D was a smidge low, but all the rest are normal :)

But wait, there's more...

My A1C last February was 8.3 and headed up, no matter how good I ate (I'm veg). THIS is what caused me to decide to get RNY.

Today...drumroll please... my A1C is 5.6!!!!

NORMAL!!!!!!! BUH-BYE DIABETES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ms_Independent

I went shopping with my mom yesterday and Macy's had some jeans marked down from $49 to $15.  They didn't have any 14's so I decided I would try on the 12's to see how far off I am from fitting in them; got one leg in and thought, "that's as far as this is going to go," but went ahead and put my second leg in and thought, "great, now I won't be able to get them up over my enormous butt.," and there they went, up and over my butt.  My final thought was, "well, this is great, I wonder how far the button will be from the hole because there is no way these are going to close."  Lo and behold, they zipped!!  I literally went zipping out of the dressing room to find my mom and show her and by the time I got back to the dressing room I had tears in my eyes!  I freaking bought a pair of size 12 jeans just 10 weeks after surgery!  I don't know that I have ever felt that kind of pride in myself, ever!  And to put it in perspective a bit, I was between a size 20 and 22 when I went into surgery.   

Oh, and the entire time we shopped, I never once even thought that I might need to look in the plus size department to try to find new clothes for myself.  Talk about a hard habit to break. ;)

Congrats to everyone on all their NSV's this week!  You are all amazing and doing a fantastic job!

Edited by CarrieT

Wow Carrie, that's so cool!!!

CeCeJD likes this

Dees just wait til you slap your thighs together to keep something from landing on the floor and it still goes through your thighs and lands on the floor!

My NSV; my sons best friend since birth surprised us with a visit Christmas eve and was afraid to hug me because he might break me, lol! Didn't recognize me when he walked in either:)

Edited by Cheesehead