Kitty

Check this out!

What are we looking for?

I geared this toward those who are looking for a support group or forum in their own region.

It is a website just like this one. It is a little more global. Giving us staplers/potential staplers; to go for even more information, inspiration and guidance. Also, if you click around the website, it will give medical updates, new breakthroughs, inspiration and if you are pre-op (newbie)... there is a wealth of information insofar as to locate a surgeon for you in your area.

If you sign-up; there is a chatroom, where I acquired some great advice as well as some laughs.

The Callery/Potts Ladies and Gentlemen have a great advantage. I potentially found that same opportunity through this website and wanted to share the knowledge.

I found that OH is just too big and hard to navigate the hundreds of threads.

I found that OH is just too big and hard to navigate the hundreds of threads.

I know the feeling. I too was pretty overwhelmed with the amount of threads (lol... try thousands of threads). After clicking around for a few minutes; I found where the threads are actually grouped and classified pertaining to certain topics. Then to demographics. I educated myself of the site and after the initial shock found it to be pretty user-friendly. However, on first impression... Yes! The site is intimidating.

Also, I was actually more interested in finding people in my area of the world who have used the same surgeon. (BINGO!) Not only did I find the surgeon's feedback from post-ops, but their WLS webpage and associated groups (ie.. yahoo, msn).

I just moved here to Germany 2 mos. ago and do not know anybody here. Hopefully I can find a strong support base.

Well, anyway... Good Luck on your continuing journey!

Sorry to have been so dense a few posts back - OH is great for info and stuff, but their forum is enormous. I tried it before I found TT and felt like I got lost is in the shuffle...I could have been navigating incorrectly as it seems you have found a niche there which is so important :D

Sorry to have been so dense a few posts back - OH is great for info and stuff, but their forum is enormous. I tried it before I found TT and felt like I got lost is in the shuffle...I could have been navigating incorrectly as it seems you have found a niche there which is so important :D

I started out on obesityhelp.com when I began my journey, but as others have pointed out above, the site is just too big and confusing to feel welcoming. I prefer the intimacy of this forum.

God bless Dr. Callery and John Callery for giving us a home here!

Dix

I started out on obesityhelp.com when I began my journey, but as others have pointed out above, the site is just too big and confusing to feel welcoming. I prefer the intimacy of this forum.

God bless Dr. Callery and John Callery for giving us a home here!

Dix

Thank you for your post.

It's funny. I'm beginning to get the impression that this post is offensive, insofar as it promotes OH. Please, allow me to clarify my intentions.

This forum is a very warm environment for me. I found a home here. However, the information I wanted to share on OH are the local forums for those who are looking for people in their demographic.

The support system that Doctors Callery & Potts have given to their patients is invaluable. I envy that amongst their kids. Unfortunately, this is the closest I can ever come to it.

The OH website gave me a local support group. I offer this same advantage to those who are looking for people in their area, too. This is a sensitive operation for me. Especially here in Germany with no one to back me except myself.

Here's an example: I am looking for people who are using the same surgeon as I.

Good Luck on your Journey!

Oh, No worries. love.

Good Luck on your Journey!

Hi Kitty,

I didn't mean to knock OH, just to state that I prefer it here. I hope OH can hook you up with some other patients of your surgeon.

Does your surgeon run support groups where you can meet other patients? If not, could he or she introduce you to other patients who may want to form an informal group? Would s/he let you post a little sign in the waiting room seeking others?

Best of luck,

Dixie

Not offensive at all. I think people are just giving you feedback on their experience. Thanks for sharing as this info is good for some, especially if you are looking for locals and you dont live in San Diego.

Hi Kitty,

I didn't mean to knock OH, just to state that I prefer it here. I hope OH can hook you up with some other patients of your surgeon.

Does your surgeon run support groups where you can meet other patients? If not, could he or she introduce you to other patients who may want to form an informal group? Would s/he let you post a little sign in the waiting room seeking others?

Best of luck,

Dixie

Right on.

Unfortunately, he doesn't. I will attempt to begin a forum calling upon patients who have been under his care. I hope it succeeds.

Not offensive at all. I think people are just giving you feedback on their experience. Thanks for sharing as this info is good for some, especially if you are looking for locals and you dont live in San Diego.

I understand Charlotte. I didn't mean for my message to misread. My fault anyway, I should have been a little more clear from the initial post.

Jax,When I read your posts you seem to have so much energy.I can even imagine your voice when I read your posts.SssTTTTTRRRAAANNNGGEEE!!!!!!

Ok Back to the program~

I look at OH at times but always come back here.:D

V

OH does have it's benefits for those who don't have a local group...I would have no clue who you would connect with in Germany. Since OH is so large, it can have a use for those outside of the local area to find out more info. I have looked to OH for my research paper many times. I just wish they used a similar forum format as what we have here. The running threads are hard to navigate. They don't have the topics divided into sections. Since so many post, it's hard to keep track of the topics you're interested in.

Jax,When I read your posts you seem to have so much energy.I can even imagine your voice when I read your posts.SssTTTTTRRRAAANNNGGEEE!!!!!!

Ok Back to the program~

I look at OH at times but always come back here.:D

V

(lol)... I had to laugh at that one. When my English teachers had our class read our essays aloud. They said the same thing.

I come back here too. The one issue I ran into at OH; is lack of participation. So, I had to step up the game a little and email each patient individually and now progress has been made.

As far as my main forum for information, here is the place.

OH does have it's benefits for those who don't have a local group...I would have no clue who you would connect with in Germany. Since OH is so large, it can have a use for those outside of the local area to find out more info. I have looked to OH for my research paper many times. I just wish they used a similar forum format as what we have here. The running threads are hard to navigate. They don't have the topics divided into sections. Since so many post, it's hard to keep track of the topics you're interested in.

Because of the communication gap here in Germany, one of my questions was somewhat of a key or useful phrases in German that I can use to help make my stay more comfortable. The average stay after the WLS is five days. I'm happy to obtain information that pertains to this region.

As far as the topics... I hadn't had that problem with OH. As a matter of fact; they have a forum on Sex before and After WLS that (to me) was a bit graphic (lol). Anyway, so far so good...

Thanks for the reply!

Because of the communication gap here in Germany, one of my questions was somewhat of a key or useful phrases in German that I can use to help make my stay more comfortable. The average stay after the WLS is five days. I'm happy to obtain information that pertains to this region.

As far as the topics... I hadn't had that problem with OH. As a matter of fact; they have a forum on Sex before and After WLS that (to me) was a bit graphic (lol). Anyway, so far so good...

Thanks for the reply!

Jax,

I speak pretty good German. I'm an American who studied in Germany and worked there for a few years. I married a German who is completely bilingual. We're in the States now. If my husband or I can help you with translation, don't hestate to ask.

Also, if you're in a civillian German hospital, expect a different atmosphere than you'd find in an American one. I've had surgery in Germany, so I know what you will experience. Your surgeon will be called "Herr Professor," not "Doktor," and you will find that he and the other doctors and the nurses treat you with reserve and formality. They will call you "Frau" or "Mrs." They will feel uncomfortable if you ask them to address you by your first name. The nurses will expect to be addressed as "Schwester" or as "Frau." Don't address anybody, not the nurses, not your roommate, by their first name. Don't take any of this as an indication that they don't like you, or don't like Americans. It's just the German way to be formal in the workplace. Bedside manners are more reserved than they are here.

Dixie

Jax,

I speak pretty good German. I'm an American who studied in Germany and worked there for a few years. I married a German who is completely bilingual. We're in the States now. If my husband or I can help you with translation, don't hestate to ask.

Also, if you're in a civillian German hospital, expect a different atmosphere than you'd find in an American one. I've had surgery in Germany, so I know what you will experience. Your surgeon will be called "Herr Professor," not "Doktor," and you will find that he and the other doctors and the nurses treat you with reserve and formality. They will call you "Frau" or "Mrs." They will feel uncomfortable if you ask them to address you by your first name. The nurses will expect to be addressed as "Schwester" or as "Frau." Don't address anybody, not the nurses, not your roommate, by their first name. Don't take any of this as an indication that they don't like you, or don't like Americans. It's just the German way to be formal in the workplace. Bedside manners are more reserved than they are here.

Dixie

At this particular hospital; I have heard the the nurses who work throughout the work week speak pretty good english. However, the nurses who work the evenings or weekends, well their english is a little more challenged. Could you remember what phrases were most commonly used that helped your stay be more comfortable? Or, maybe give me the heads up as to what I should expect. My stay after surgery will last at least 5 days. I will have to ask for water, food, or pain meds (lol) if need be. Thank you soooo much!

At this particular hospital; I have heard the the nurses who work throughout the work week speak pretty good english. However, the nurses who work the evenings or weekends, well their english is a little more challenged. Could you remember what phrases were most commonly used that helped your stay be more comfortable? Or, maybe give me the heads up as to what I should expect. My stay after surgery will last at least 5 days. I will have to ask for water, food, or pain meds (lol) if need be. Thank you soooo much!

Hi Jax,

Happy to do this. May I have your permission to start a new thread? In it, I'll briefly describe your upcoming stay in a German hospital and will ask the members here what phrases and questions they used a lot during their hospital stays.

Then I'll gather the phrases, translate them into German, and will email them to you. You can print out the email and show it to the nurses while pointing to the relevant phrase.

Dixie

Hi Jax,

Happy to do this. May I have your permission to start a new thread? In it, I'll briefly describe your upcoming stay in a German hospital and will ask the members here what phrases and questions they used a lot during their hospital stays.

Then I'll gather the phrases, translate them into German, and will email them to you. You can print out the email and show it to the nurses while pointing to the relevant phrase.

Dixie

Please do so...

Thank you grands!

Please do so...

Thank you grands!

Okay, I'm going to start a thread under General Discussions called "Hosptal Phrases." Feel free to jump in at any point, since the thread is for your benefit.