Mr. Natural

Discrimination in hiring

Just curious... not sure if this belongs here, but I'll ask it anyways.

Has anyone encountered real or perceived discrimination in hiring or advancement because of your size?

Most definitely, I tried real hard to hide my disability but I know when they drag you a quarter mile thru a plant you can’t help but be out of breath.

I got so pissed off that I put in my cover letter that I was disabled. The place that finally hired me bent over backwards to accommodate me (and cut my pay accordingly)

I am looking for a better paying job but they are few and far between. I have not decided whether or not to bring up my COPD since I can walk far enough now without being out of breath.

Years and years ago, when I was 26 or 27, I interviewed for a job at a lumberyard.  The job was mostly truck driving, but also had loading and unloading trucks, stacking wood and other manual labor kinds of things.   At the end of the Interview, the manager told me she had concerns about my "size".  I think I was about 350 at the time.  It had never come up before and I was a little shocked, and surprised.  I ended up getting the job and being a top employee.   

I'm sure I wasn't considered for other jobs because of my size and didn't get to the interview phase.

Has anyone encountered real or perceived discrimination in hiring or advancement because of your size?

No, because the last time I worked for someone else, I weighed about 200 pounds. That was 35 years ago.

I've had the "HR person" at a job decide I was a lesser form of creature and continually do her best to report (confidential or otherwise) information to my boss to try to get me fired.  It was a real great time fending off a new issue every week. 

I might have a problem with future advancement.  My boss asked me why I needed FMLA.  Not that's it's any of his business, but I'm not one to lie or try to hide things.  I believe in full disclosure at all times, honesty, and accountability.  And I don't do politically correct.  So I told the boss about having sleeve surgery.  Then I got to hear how I was making a horrible decision, how I'd be less of a man, how a man needs to be able to eat mass quantities of food so that he could stay out in the fields working or hunting for extended periods.  I reminded him of the African tribesman that could chase a wildebeast for three days after drinking a quart of water and eating a grub.  I guess we both exaggerated a bit, but the point is that he basically told me I'd be less of a man after surgery.  He ain't the type of guy to promote "less than a man" types.  I guess I can look forward to him quitting, retiring, or dying.  He's prolly 15-20 years older than me.

People can be so ignorant!!!! Goodness gracious!!!!!