mrsdonjuan

Too much scar tissue to do revision?

26 posts in this topic

I had my lapband placed in 2007 and lost about 30lbs. In 2013 went to see about getting an adjustment and found out that my band slipped so my doctor and I decided to revise to RNY well I got on table 11/6/13 only to wake up with no RNY only lapband removal. I have to wait 4 to 6 months before I can get the RNY. The band caused too much scar tissue and damage. Anyone else? STAY AWAY FROM LAPBAND!!!!

Violetmortica and Aviator like this

I have read about that. I'm sorry it happened to you. I can only imagine how frustrating that can be. I met with 2 surgeons when I started my revision process. Hang in there. I'm with you though on the band. I regret ever getting this awful thing put in and it can't go away soon enough!

mrsdonjuan likes this

I hope you heal quickly and can have the surgery as planned. Good luck!

mrsdonjuan likes this

I think it is quite common. The lap band is a horrible device. I had my revision 5/13 and my surgery ended up being 6 hours due to the excessive scar tissue. My band had been slowly pushing my stomach into my esophagus which explained the raging acid issues I had. Acid issues like waking up with acid spewing from my mouth and nose. What a nightmare. 

Oh, gosh! What a bummer:(

I have heard of this situation occurring several times. I know it has to be upsetting, but the months will pass quickly and you'll have your turn. Stick around on TT and keep learning how to make the most of your upcoming revision. We're here to support you at all stages of your WLS journey. Even this unexpected one... (((HUGS)).

Surgery itself can cause adhesion issues - it's not just the band.

Most people get adhesions but don't have problems.  I do.  

Since my RNY, I've been hospitalized several times because of them - last time being 3 weeks ago.  Laparoscopic surgery has had to be converted to open procedures twice because of adhesions too.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I hate that you have this delay. Hopefully the 4-6 months will pass quickly and productively for you. Meanwhile your stomach can heal with the band gone.

-Siubhan

My doc said the same thing, revision might have to be done in 2 surgeries.. Luckily, my revision was completed in 1 surgery, but it did take 6 hours due to the scar tissue.. Good luck… The bypass is WAY better than the band..

mrsdonjuan likes this

My doc said the same thing, revision might have to be done in 2 surgeries.. Luckily, my revision was completed in 1 surgery, but it did take 6 hours due to the scar tissue.. Good luck… The bypass is WAY better than the band..

How long was your band in for? My was in for almost eight years, I think the longer it's in the more it mess up your inners. My doctor is really not offering to do lap bands anymore. I've been researching it on here and other wls site and also Google and its hundreds of people who have had this issue and who had 2 and 3 surgeries because the band stuck to other organs and pushed and against stuff in there it's not suppose to. I'm very MAD @ that BAND right now so if please don't read any of my posts if your planning on getting the band.

JessUK likes this

I had my band placed on 3-5-07.. The doc said my band was completely encapsulated with scar tissue and took hours to get out.. She still does band surgeries, but she discourages the band.. The other docs in the office don't do them at all.. To be honest, I did lose 90 pounds with the band, but ended up gaining 30 pounds back and around the same time started having reflux issues.. Since I've had the bypass I now HATE that band.. I couldn't eat certain foods for no reason, no eggs, vegetables, fruits, chicken, etc.. Nothing healthy.. Towards the end I would have a coffee for breakfast, protein shake for lunch, and a pint of ben and jerry's for dinner.. With the bypass, I can eat all the healthy stuff that I wanted, and should be eating.. Yesterday was the first time I ate a salad, and it was delicious.. I've had chicken, eggs, fruit, veggies.. All with no problems.. I love it! Good luck in your journey..

JessUK likes this

I had the EVIL band placed in 12/2009 and out in 5/2013,   I was blessed that they could do it in ONE procedure, and I got the sleeve due to the conditions "within".  

The band is EVIL 

vrinda, JessUK and ancrowl like this

Hello everyone, sorry it has taken me so long to give you guys and update since my surgery but today was the first post op doctor's appointment I've had since surgery, well I went in today and got the worst news every. The option for me to have revision surgery has actually saved my life it was by the grace of God that I started this process, well my surgery told me before the surgery that my band had slipped and I could have it corrected or have an revision done so that's what I decided to do was revise to the RNY gastric bypass. Well on 11/06/2013 my surgeon went in to do the surgery and found that my band on one end had in fact slipped down and the other end of the band had fused to my liver and that the scar tissue was so bad around the band it was pulling so bad that it was beginning to rip my stomach apart; had I not seek for a revision I would have not even known what was going on, I had no pain, vomiting or nothing every once in a while it would feel like my food would get stuck almost like acid reflux, it I had waited the band could have crack or rip my stomach and my liver. She also said that I still can get my revision but I will have to wait till March or April of 2014, she said that the bypass could in fact help with some of the damage and by cutting all the scar tissue out and the part that was rip is the part that will be bypass ( the part of the stomach that I will not be using.)

THE BAND IS EVIL ( IT WAS EVIL TO ME)

On Nov 5 of this year I had my band removed. I was banded in May of 2008. I too had lots of reflux, the surgeon that did my band ended up leaving the state and I went to another practice. That practice was not the right choice for me. Many things went wrong like lost charts, lack of communication with the whole staff, some other things with the final blow is the surgeon didn't want me as a patient and let me know it. BUT she would keep me on if I wanted a revision. At that point I didn't know what I wanted to do for sure and had to beg for an unfill which was the most painful experience I had ever had. I left that practice that day, called the practice I'm at now and I love it! So my Dr was going to remove my band and do bypass on Nov 5. Well I have so much scar tissue from other surgeries plus from the band (which had slipped) he said it would be virtually impossible to do the bypass. I was disappointed but I totally trust my Dr's decision. He removed my band cleaned off my stomach of scar tissue he could get. He took a picture of the scar tissue and it hangs like a curtain of thick columns of yellow strands. He said it would be hard to connect the small intestine to the new pouch because of how thick the scar tissue was. He said my only option is the sleeve. So I have to heal for 3 months from having the band out then I will have the sleeve. I'm trying to maintain my weight now because I've heard some patients gain at least 30 lbs after having the band out. So sometime in Feb I'm hoping to have the sleeve surgery. I'm so happy I've found this site.

Mirtl likes this

I too had huge amounts of scar tissue my surgeon completed the rny and I am having major complications!  Be happy!

mrsdonjuan and gramma2three like this

Hello ^ I'm sorry you are having complications Derrkim, what did they say was wrong? I know its been a long time since I've been on here but I saw no need to come everyday since I don't have a weight loss surgery anymore, but I will be coming a lot more soon, well here's a quick update. I went back for my one month post op on Dec. 6, 2013 and my doctor is now starting the process over for my RNY luckily I don't have to do everything over but the major testing that needs to be done before surgery, they said I wont have to do the diet thing again but my doctor put me on a diet just in case something arises from my insurance company; so as far as I know I was already approved for the RNY the only thing my clinic has to do is submit documents stating why my surgery was not performed. I have my first appointment Jan 18th 2014 I'm so excited and sad at the same time because I have to build, fast, and pray to get back on that operating table again. I will make another post after my appointment and keep you guys updated, and I will make more post as my surgery date gets closer, my doctor said it should be in early spring March or April.

I am happy you are on the road again!!

I got terrible infections from scar tissue! Then turned into an abscess, So they put a drain through my side into my stomach to drain the muck out of there. That was December 1, 2013. As of today the abscess keeps returning, I keep draining and haveing CT's to monitor any changes. No changes so far!  We have to wait patiently ( I have no patience) If it does not heal itself, then I will have to have surgery to remove the remnent portion of my stomach.  Glad your surgeon decided to do things in such an orderly way for you. Mine thought it would be fine and unfortunately it isn't! 

So sorry that this happened to you as well. I had a band erosion and had to get it out. Im in Australia and they never take the band out and do a revision surgery at the same time - you have to wait a mandatory minimum 3 months - longer if there is a lot of scar tissue. So sorry for you Derrkim i am counting my blessings after reading your story! I have no patience at all either and my band failed around June 2012 but it tok them ages to diagnose! i just can't wait to get my sleeve.

Aviator and Derrkim like this

Surgery itself can cause adhesion issues - it's not just the band.

Most people get adhesions but don't have problems. I do.

Since my RNY, I've been hospitalized several times because of them - last time being 3 weeks ago. Laparoscopic surgery has had to be converted to open procedures twice because of adhesions too.

The scar tissue is not just from the band. Your body's natural response to a wound is to produce scar tissue. Some of us are better at it than others. :) My first procedure was VSG and I had it revised in July 2013 - actually a hiatal hernia repair as well as some work on my sleeve. The doc told me I had produced an amazing amount of scar tissue a which took 2 hours to remove. No post op complications tho.

It's best you got that thing out of you.

Edited by Aviator

I had my revision surgery on January 8th.  I had gastric stapling in 1989 - 25 yrs. ago (that was all they were doing at that time).  I lost 110 lbs. the first 18 months and got down to my goal.  After a couple of years I started gaining weight back and struggled just like I had for many years trying to maintain.  I felt like a complete failure!  I went to drs. but they just told me that they considered me a success because I had kept more than half my weight off.  It wasn't until last February that I went to a seminar and met 2 drs. close to where I live that specialized in bariatric surgery.  I made an appt., they ran lots of tests and told me since I did not have any records of my prior surgery they weren't exactly sure what had been done but it looked like my opening was so small that I had avoided all the good foods for me and just survived off of high carb, cheeses and soups --anything that went down easy.  They told me that they weren't sure if they could do anything at all but if I was willing they would try and that maybe they would be able to remove the stapling and I would be on my own.  Well, long story short, they were able to remove it and do the gastric bypass and even did it laparoscopically.  I am so very happy and very blessed that I have a second chance.  I know at 58 yrs. old and a widow that I did not want to live out my life feeling like I failed and not able to eat much at all.  I am so happy to have found this site and know that there are others going through the same thing and hopefully we'll all be able to live healthy lives.    

I asked the dr. on my follow up appt. if the gastric stapling I had was similar to the lap band and he said it was except when I had it done it was not adjustable.  He said he didn't know how I made it all these years living the life I did and I told him I didn't know any better.  So thankful he came into my life.  Thank you Dr. Tieu!!! and thank you TT for being here!!!

Yes 15 years for me and boy does your story sound familar. Cheetos was my live on food and no wonder why i gained it back. Everytime I ate meat and salad I was so sick.  I could eat something 10 times not get sick and the 11th would have me vomitting for 5 days straight.  No wonder the huge hernia i had too! My unadjustable ring was enlaced with scar tissue. My surgeon now, couldn't even get a scope through it.

Edited by Derrkim

Derrkim,

Same here, doc couldn't scope mine either! Cheetos were my downfall as well, couldn't get enough! Was never able to eat a piece of chix or any red meats so fish became my choice for everything.

Sounds like you found the right doctor too! Good luck to you on this second chance!

Katydid

Aviator likes this

Good luck to you too!

Hello, I am new to this site...but I have a similar story regarding the scar tissue.  I too had the evil lap band and had the revision to the Sleeve.  I had the sleeve for 2 years, but the second year, i had severe acid reflux.  I was put on a lot of medication to "help" the reflex but nothing helped it enough to live a normal life.  I finally screamed enough and the doctors ran several tests including putting me to sleep to put a scope down my throat.  The  doctor stated, he was unable to put the scope down my throat to look into my stomach due to too much scar tissue.  Well, after more tests, I was sent back to the surgeon.  The surgeon informed me that the scar tissue has blocked my passage into my stomach and the Sleeve was the worst choice I could have made.  My only option THIS time was the RNY.  This all happened in a matter of 3 months.  After the surgery, the doctor informed my family that he does not even know how I was eating or functioning.  There was so much scar tissue that the surgery was longer than expected and risky.  I am not following the normal stages due to caution...

So, I just want to warn anyone....If you have scar tissue from the evil LapBand....go RNY!! I pray that this works. 

Lennie and Aviator like this

Hello, I am new to this site...but I have a similar story regarding the scar tissue.  I too had the evil lap band and had the revision to the Sleeve.  I had the sleeve for 2 years, but the second year, i had severe acid reflux.  I was put on a lot of medication to "help" the reflex but nothing helped it enough to live a normal life.  I finally screamed enough and the doctors ran several tests including putting me to sleep to put a scope down my throat.  The  doctor stated, he was unable to put the scope down my throat to look into my stomach due to too much scar tissue.  Well, after more tests, I was sent back to the surgeon.  The surgeon informed me that the scar tissue has blocked my passage into my stomach and the Sleeve was the worst choice I could have made.  My only option THIS time was the RNY.  This all happened in a matter of 3 months.  After the surgery, the doctor informed my family that he does not even know how I was eating or functioning.  There was so much scar tissue that the surgery was longer than expected and risky.  I am not following the normal stages due to caution...

So, I just want to warn anyone....If you have scar tissue from the evil LapBand....go RNY!! I pray that this works.

Praying with you that it works. The strange thing is that the production of scar tissue is dependent upon the individual. i happen to produce a lot as well, which had to be removed during my revision.

mrsdonjuan likes this

I had my lap band removed 7/23 and 2 month later went for revision to bypass. The doctor couldn't do it in one procedure because I had too much scar tissue. In that 2 month I went from 135 to 175... Best of luck to you!!!