Mr. Natural

CPAP machines

Hoping to have the surgery January or February. (bypass)

Anyone have luck ditching their CPAP machine after you'd dropped enough weight?

My doc told me i would probably be able to eventually....

I know some people can get rid of them.

I took mine back right after surgery,  i hated the thing

I don't care if I need to use my CPAP after surgery, that's the least of my worries. Some people no longer need them after losing weight, but others are not so lucky. Good luck!

I had to cut the pressure a lot but I still use mine. if I don't think I need it after I drop another 80 lbs. I will get another sleep study.

While I am not a doctor and only occasionally play one on TV, I tweak equipment like that all the time.

I stopped using mine three months after surgery. My wife tells me that I no longer snore. I hated the blasted thing, but I had to compliant with it in order to have my surgery. I wound up spending about $500 on it--best $500 I ever spent. It is now gathering dust in the closet. What do you do with the thing when you no longer need (or want) it? Someone asked me if they could have it and my first reaction was yes and then I thought that maybe someone who hasn't done a sleep study shouldn't just start using one. Does anyone know if that is OK?

They should have a sleep study before using the machine. The study will alert their doctor to potential problems stemming from sleep apnea such as heart damage and will also determine the correct setting for the machine.  Mine has a tracking chip so they can download information about my sleep patterns and spot issues.

Hopefully a new user will also get proper instruction in how to use the machine properly and why it is important to be compliant.

I was able to have an at home sleep study and I am puzzled why more doctors don't use this approach. A monitor was delivered to my house, I connected myself to it for that night's sleep and the next morning they picked it up and transmitted the report to my doctor. So much easier than going to a sleep center and probably more accurate because I did not have the anxiety of sleeping while wired up and in a strange place.  I would assume this is a much less expensive option for the insurer as well. 

Edited by TurnThePage

I had to go to a sleep center twice. First time they hooked me up to about 15 wires (all over my head) and then told me to lie down and sleep--as if. Then, a couple of weeks later, I had to return and sleep with a C-Pap. They tried at least three different masks. None of them were comfortable. I made sure I did the compliance requirement and then also after I had my surgery (the oxygen is supposed to help healing). There wasn't a single night when the darn thing didn't blow cold air directly into my eyes. Some mornings, my eyes would be so dray that I'd have to put drops in them, just to be able to blink. Hated it--and will NEVER wear one again.

Clayton, the CPAP is not just about increasing healing oxygenafter surgery. If you have sleep apnea, please read up on the damage it can do to your body before you decide to give up the machine. I have permanent heart damage caused by sleep apnea before I got my CPAP. People can die from apnea. This is serious stuff!!!

There are a ton of masks available and some times you just have to try a large number on to find the right style and fit for you. If you were getting air blowing in your eyes, the mask was not fitted properly. If it was a nasal pillows mask, the pillows were the wrong size or the mask straps were not tight enough. Many people on the forum have commented that they like the Swift FX masks--very light and easy to sleep with compared with others. My consultant brought a suitcase with about 20 masks and their various sized pieces in it to my fitting. It's important to get it right.  Take good care of yourself!

I stopped using my CPAP about 1 month after surgery and haven't looked back. Definitely one of the many benefits to significant weight loss due to WLS.

Thanks, TTP. I was bleary eyed every single day after I got the CPAP. I actually fell asleep one day while sitting at a red light. That never happened before the CPAP and it hasn't happened since I stopped using it. All I have to go by is that I now lie down at night and often fall asleep within a couple of minutes and don't waken until 7 hours later. I'm no longer tired and my wife assures me that I no longer snore or snort during my sleep. She says that all she hears is steady breathing. I was miserable on the CPAP. I remember the technician told me the same things you mentioned. He said that I could die in my sleep. At that point, I told him I could think of a lot worse ways to die, than in my sleep. I have a cardio test done yearly and it is good each time. My BP is now pretty regular at about 122/80 most of the time. The highest it has been since my surgery was one time at 128/80. Not bad for someone who used to be happy if it was 140-95. I no longer take any medications (except vitamins and iron pills). At 57, I'll take a sound night's sleep (without having to go to the bathroom) and a good BP over a CPAP any day. Nope. I'm done with the CPAP. Just wish I knew what to do with it. It did come in a nice bag. I guess I could sell it for scrap and use the bag.

Enjoyed reading people's input! Thanks!

I stopped snoring about a month after surgery.  Sleep study will be at or around my one year mark.  GF says I breath heavy sometimes, but I have not snored since a month post op!

Carl

FWIW I am just about 3 months post op. we have a power outage and I did not sleep well without my CPAP last night.

I hate running the generator at night just to have power for the CPAP. last power outage I went thru $75 worth of aviation fuel.

I had surgery 10/29/2013, I have lowered the pressure twice since surgery.  Im one of those people that may never get rid of the CPAP and I dont care I have been on it for 10 years and could not imagine sleeping with out it, but what ever give me the best night sleep is what I will do.  it has been nice to drop the pressure though.  I am looking forward to the sleep study person giving me crap for lowering the pressure (SELF MEDICATING -stated while wiggling hips and whining, with the nose curled up).

"FWIW I am just about 3 months post op. we have a power outage and I did not sleep well without my CPAP last night.

I hate running the generator at night just to have power for the CPAP. last power outage I went thru $75 worth of aviation fuel."

___________________________________________________________________________________

FFlintstone,

I had that happen several years ago, have the same feelings about Generator, I went to Walmart and bought a deep cycle Marine Battery , a plastic tote  (for the Battery) and a power inverter

run the CPAP at night on the battery and inverter and in the AM charge the Battery with a battery charger off the generator.  mine lasted easily two nights with out a charge total cost about $100.00 .

Good Luck

I had surgery 10/29/2013, I have lowered the pressure twice since surgery.  Im one of those people that may never get rid of the CPAP and I dont care I have been on it for 10 years and could not imagine sleeping with out it, but what ever give me the best night sleep is what I will do.  it has been nice to drop the pressure though.  I am looking forward to the sleep study person giving me crap for lowering the pressure (SELF MEDICATING -stated while wiggling hips and whining, with the nose curled up).

While I am not a doctor and only occasionally play one on TV, I tweak equipment like that all the time.

"FWIW I am just about 3 months post op. we have a power outage and I did not sleep well without my CPAP last night.

I hate running the generator at night just to have power for the CPAP. last power outage I went thru $75 worth of aviation fuel."

___________________________________________________________________________________

FFlintstone,

I had that happen several years ago, have the same feelings about Generator, I went to Walmart and bought a deep cycle Marine Battery , a plastic tote  (for the Battery) and a power inverter

run the CPAP at night on the battery and inverter and in the AM charge the Battery with a battery charger off the generator.  mine lasted easily two nights with out a charge total cost about $100.00 .

Good Luck

I was hoping to do the same thing with just a car battery but try as I might I could not find a "scrap" power cube with the proper 2.1mm x 5.5 mm barrel plug to run my CPAP. I have some in both my basket on amazon and ebay now, so when the next power outage comes I will be set.

with the amp draw of our machines my buddy figured we could go 3 nights without a charge on two machines.

my big gripe is modern ethanol gas and small engines. even with stable it turns to crap. I have been running leaded ethanol free AV fuel in my small engines but it is $5.50 a gallon. fine for chain saws but not a generator. I think I am going to store the generator with a little AV gas. buy 10 gallons of unleaded every 3 months and just keep dumping it in my worst vehicle.

FFlintstone, had similar concerns with my equip.  I then realized that there are two types of stabilizer one to stabilize the Ethanol's natural desire to attract water and one to stabilize the gasoline from shellacking.  I use Both I put the recommended amount into the can before I fill it and it keeps for about 6 months.  I run my equipment dry prior to storage. and give it a squirt of a flammable lube spray into the air intake to keep seals and gaskets pliable.

FFlintstone, had similar concerns with my equip.  I then realized that there are two types of stabilizer one to stabilize the Ethanol's natural desire to attract water and one to stabilize the gasoline from shellacking.  I use Both I put the recommended amount into the can before I fill it and it keeps for about 6 months.  I run my equipment dry prior to storage. and give it a squirt of a flammable lube spray into the air intake to keep seals and gaskets pliable.

I love the AV gas, it smells like real gas, it stays clear and I have ZERO issues with my chainsaws now.

If possible I do like to run carbs dry. the only drawback to AV gas is the cost, and inability to run it in most of my cars. while it is leaded, I don't think the % is near what it was in the old days. I still don't want to use it on anything with a catalyst.