Beautiful4ever

Just a question

I have been taking classes to become a Medical Assistant. In class we have been talking about Juicing. Is it possible to juice with the Lapband? Or would that cause damage? If i added protien? Just wondering. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

I would be concerned that you will absorb the calories from the juice- but not feel full

Adding protein may not be a bad idea... im not sure though

I sent my Nut an email asking the same question. I just want to know if this would be ok. The whole class is going to be doing this. There is only 6 of us in the class. I just want to know if I can go to the teacher and say yes or no. 

This came from my Doctor himself. Yes you can juice but liquids don't typically fill up up as well as solid food and you will likely need to do more than 4 ozs of liquids to match the satiety of just 4 ozs of solid food. Ok to juice sometimes as a meal replacement but solid food generally leads to better weight loss. SO I think I am going to stick with the normal protien shakes.. LOL

Any kind of calorie laden liquid will defeat the Lap Band.  And juices are often very densely caloried liquids - 150-200 calories per 8 oz and lots of carbs.   Typically with any WLS procedure liquids with calories are to be avoided.    That is the bad thing.   What you think is "good or you" - those juices, will flow right thru the small orifice of the lap band, thru your pylorus and land directly in your small intestine.  You will have an empty stomach and still be hungry.  This means you will reach for more juice - and more calories, but no more satiety.  Remember there are things that are good for the general population that are not necessarily good for WLS patients.  You sill have 50 lbs to lose.  A far better choice is it just eat the fruits or vegetables that you are juicing.

Isn't that just intuitive?  You still have a full sized stomach. it just has a "pinch point" that slows down food passage.  Juice wont slow down a bit.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but juicing is not a good idea for you.

Protein shakes dont slow down either but at least there is some protein.  That band has little effect with a protein shake.

Edited by Aviator

Juicing?  even sounds odd.   Since I was once a diabetic, there is no way I drink juice, I may eat the orange and enjoy it, but I don't order a glass of anything.    You will never achieve staiety with liquids.

You should watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead - it is on Netflix - it chronicles this guy from Australia who juices across America. I was intrigued after watching it and so I tried it out - I did not get hungry at all but it just didn't fit into my lifestyle....so now I just do it now and then...

That was the movie that we watched. :-) Good movie