BigB5SRT8

hernia repair

has anyone had a hernia repair with there surgery. I guess I will be getting a hernia repaired. I didn't even know I had one.

This isn't just a guy thing BigB.  

I had an umbilical hernia repair done at the same time as my RNY (done laparoscopically) - I just had a few extra port holes.

And it's not unusual for people not to know they had a hernia but if a surgeon finds one during surgery, if necessary, it'll be fixed at the same time.

Yes, I had a paraesophogeal hernia. This led to the suggestion of having a GBP due to symptoms and obesity.

I believe some types of hernias are common in obese people due to increased abdominal pressure. Lots of people do not have symptoms or don't recognize them.

If needed, it is fixed during bariatric surgery.

I am looking forward to them repairing my Hiatal hernia. It hurt like hell when I did it! I have to take several medications to control the symptoms and hate that if I lay down after eating food comes up, Yuck! I used to vomit daily, I hate vomiting!

yes, I had a hiatal hernia repair with my July revision.  Reflux is considerably better.

I had an inguinal hernia repair 20 years ago.

alot of WLS people have a Hiatal Hernia repaired.  It's very common to not even know you had one.  You can Google or Webmd for more info on it.

I have an umbilical hernia that needs repair but I am waiting until I am closer to my goal weight OR if it becomes a problem.
Good luck!!

Well I'm out of surgery. Doctor said it was worse then he anticipated. He had repair my diaphragm also. Thanks for all the info friends.

Edited by BigB5SRT8

As a follow-up, taken from an early post:

Hernias are pretty common in the obese community and sadly, it's a fact that people who have had a drastic weight loss may be more prone to developing hernias afterwards too.  

As we shrink, our innerds don't always shrink back as they should and sometimes, a little gap in the abdominal wall allows some intestine or whatever to drop through.

Along with an umbilical hernia repair when I had my RNY, 3 years post-RNY, I ended up with bilateral femoral hernias.  Unfortunately, even though they were started with small incisions just above the groin, they had to convert it to a hip-to-hip incision. 

And now I have a hiatal hernia.  Because of a history of adhesions and the fact that it's not severe, we're not rushing into surgery with it - I'm taking Prilosec to treat the periodic issue with acid reflux and so far it's working.

Well I'm out of surgery. Doctor said it was worse then he anticipated. He had repair my diaphragm also. Thanks for all the info friends.

Sorry to hear that you had to have a diaphragm repair too but good that your surgeon was able to it all while he was doing your RNY.

Welcome to the losers bench! 

Thank you for your concerns.  

Thank you for your concerns.

Welcome back. I hope your recovery is going well.

had mine repaired. I can actually work my abs without pain.