Weikelklan

Surgeon Change

5 posts in this topic

So I have decided to change surgeons.  My new surgeon received my file from the previous surgeon and all the docs signed off that I do not need to re-do my nutritionist and physical therapist.  All I have to do is meet the new surgeon on the 22nd.  My insurance has already approved my surgery so hopefully I will have a date next week :)  For financial reasons, I am hoping for second week of November

150by40 likes this

I found your post by searching a topic that I am concerned about. I hope you still check this board. In retrospect, are you glad that you changed surgeons?  I want to ask how you informed your previous surgeon that you wanted to change surgeons? I want to change surgeons, have everything complete, and am simply waiting approval from my insurance company.  However, I am concerned about negative feedback . Especially if the surgeons know each other. 

Momm,

It's almost 4 years since Weikelklan posted and they haven't logged back in.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Momn said:

I found your post by searching a topic that I am concerned about. I hope you still check this board. In retrospect, are you glad that you changed surgeons?  I want to ask how you informed your previous surgeon that you wanted to change surgeons? I want to change surgeons, have everything complete, and am simply waiting approval from my insurance company.  However, I am concerned about negative feedback . Especially if the surgeons know each other. 

While not bariatric related, I've changed orthopaedic surgeon three times. I never told the previous surgeons as I didn't see the need to. Going to a new surgeon is actually quite a common practise. Many people will choose to seek out a second opinion regarding any treatment. The surgeons are used to it, and in my experience are very discrete. You don't need to say anything bad about your first surgeon to justify your going to a new one. The new surgeon already knows something isn't sitting right because you've sought them out for a second opinion.....there's no need to elaborate at all. I've just said to my new surgeon on both occasions, that I just really couldn't find the confidence level in my prior surgeons, that would allow me to consider letting them cut me open. The reality is that my new surgeon was actually quite blunt in the end and stated he did know both of the previous surgeons I'd dealt with, and that my gut feeling was right....according to the new surgeon, neither of the ones I had consulted earlier had the skills or experience in the type of surgery I needed.

So, my advice is to just bite the bullet and move on. You only need to worry about yourself....definitely not the feelings of some rich surgeon who probably doesn't give a toss about you anyway.

Edited by Aussie H
auto correct be @*#(ed

I actually switched after my surgery.  I wasn't happy with my old place not being able to answer my questions.  I found out where my NUT switched jobs to and now go there for my yearly follow ups...the new place contacted my old place for my records, I signed a release...

Res Ipsa likes this