webbsurfn

Feeling Sick after I eat ANYTHING......

27 posts in this topic

For the past week I feel as though I am getting sick after I eat.  It does not matter what I eat or when I eat after two bites I just can't tolerate the meal anymore.  I never vomit but I have the pains in my stomach and feel as though I could vomit at any moment.  I am 11 weeks out and was doing fine up until last week.  Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

weight.png

what did your doctor say when you called them??

Too big of bites maybe?  That is the only idea that pops up for me  (since you said it didn't matter what you ate or the time of it).   You are 11 weeks out, when did you start back on regular food?  Have you tried going back to just liquid or pureed to see if that made any difference?

ElsaJ likes this

Are you hydrating? Your body can be very intolerant if you are dehydrated.

How much are you eating? Are you measuring the portion? Try measuring, so you know how much you're putting in. If 1/4 cup makes you nauseous, 1/8 cup might NOT. It's really easy to overfill at first. This sounds like overfilling to me.

Above all, if solids are giving you fits, try liquids for a couple meals for a while, and just do solids once a day or something, as Jolls suggested. There is no shame in taking a little longer to progress the diet. Everyone heals differently.

This whole thing works on high protein and high liquid. You need both to make it work. If you don't have both, you'll have issues. The form of the liquids and protein doesn't really matter (no carbonation of course), but you have to get both in.

Praiseiii likes this

Thanks for all of the advice.  I talked with my doctor and he seems to think I may be vitamin defficient.  I do measure my food and still can only take in 2 ounces.  The vitamins I was taking I stopped my fault I know.  I am now back on them but take them at night so that I do not get sick.  This seems to be working.  I am chewing my food longer and this seems to be working.  So hopefully I will stay in this pattern of not feeling so bad after I eat.  Thanks again I love this forum.  You guys are the BOMB!

Wiitch1, Njjenny62 and dorie like this

There are lots of times I can't eat more than a couple of bites. It comes and goes, for two or three days at a time. I don't think anything is wrong, it's just that we have to learn to eat from scratch, and sometimes things just don't taste or feel right.

Going back to an earlier stage for a day or a few days is a good idea.

I'm glad you all are doing pretty ok.  I ended up in the emergency room 2 days ago 3 bags of fluid  :o        I'm still nauseous, fighting to put anything in my mouth(even water) no appetite.  I'm afraid I'm gonna lose my hair so I bought some biotin and nioxin shampoo.  Idk what to do, I'm really miserable and weak, I knew the surgery would cut  amount we ate extremely and lessen appetite, but completely gone is extreme.  I just wanted to vent, I've tried everything, I've blown up my doctors and nutritionist phones so I've gotten good advice, just at a lose and miserable  :'(    btw i'm a little over a month post op, I hope it gets better....

Mummyjo123 likes this

I'm glad you all are doing pretty ok.  I ended up in the emergency room 2 days ago 3 bags of fluid   :o        I'm still nauseous, fighting to put anything in my mouth(even water) no appetite.  I'm afraid I'm gonna lose my hair so I bought some biotin and nioxin shampoo.  Idk what to do, I'm really miserable and weak, I knew the surgery would cut  amount we ate extremely and lessen appetite, but completely gone is extreme.  I just wanted to vent, I've tried everything, I've blown up my doctors and nutritionist phones so I've gotten good advice, just at a lose and miserable  :'(    btw i'm a little over a month post op, I hope it gets better....

It gets better.

First thing to do is relax.  You can't heal if you've got yourself this upset.

Second, hydrate.  If you aren't drinking plenty of water, you're going to feel bad pretty consistently.

Third - where are you at in terms of your diet?  Are you still doing protein shakes?  Every body is different.  If you can't manage food, then you go back to protein shakes.  You need nutrition, and the liquid won't hurt you either.

Now.

I am 8 months out.  I can eat about 4-5 ounces at a time now (at 5 ounces I am incredibly overfull, so I stick with 4 or less.. sometimes I even eat just 3 and I'm fine).  That's a small but decent portion.

I do get hungry if I don't eat.  Some people don't--I do.  I need to eat every 3-4 hours, at minimum.  I schedule snacks and I eat all day.

When I drink, I can take about six good swallows before I'm full up. 

But I want to say for the first... 3 months or so maybe... I couldn't get more than 2 ounces down.  Like you, I was scared of malnutrition.  I was scared I would get too small too fast.   I was scared I'd never be able to eat with my family again.

All those worries have gone out the window.  It does get better, and the stomach will hold a little more eventually, but it takes time.  In the meantime (and I know this is hard to understand), but enjoy the tiny tummy.  You have to work all day long to get in your liquids and protein (and you might not be hitting that protein goal yet), so it takes a lot of attention and dedication, but it can be done.  Nobody said this was going to be easy... until you have surgery though, you just can't quite imagine how hard it's really going to be.

I hope that you feel better.  No more hospital trips, no more saline bags!  Get that water in.  If you have to set a timer on your watch or phone, then do it... get that water in! Water, water, water!

Everybody here is so helpful! I am getting sleeved this month.....nov 27! So I'm trying to take it all in. Dees, if you work outside your home, do you just keep your water with you to sip all day? And can it be ok to take an hour or so to finish a protein shake? I will go back to work after 8 days. Thanks for any advice.

It does get better! I'm almost 4 months out. The folks here are so helpful! Slow down, eat what comfortably fits, try increasing a tiny bit every couple days and relax!

I constantly have a big cup of water or some liquid with me.  Also, I know this is a little unusual but I find it much easier and less gassy to drink with a straw so I bought those big refillable starbucks cold cups with the perma straw and I take it where ever I go from work meetings to Dr appts to the grocery store its always with me. 

I am almost 6 weeks out and I notice there are meals where I can do 3 oz and meals where 1 or 2 bites is enough, depends on how dense the food is and time of day.  Keep track of the time of day you have the most luck (for me its lunch time) and try and get the most band for your buck at that meal.  I make sure whatever I eat at lunch has at least 20g of protein (which is hard because I am a vegetarian) and that helps make up for the smaller meals.

Keep your chin up, just think about how you will feel a year from now!

Everybody here is so helpful! I am getting sleeved this month.....nov 27! So I'm trying to take it all in. Dees, if you work outside your home, do you just keep your water with you to sip all day? And can it be ok to take an hour or so to finish a protein shake? I will go back to work after 8 days. Thanks for any advice.

I do work outside the home, full time, and I have a double walled straw glass with ice water next to me all day long. It's a 30 oz cup, so two of those babies pretty well keeps me up with my hydration needs through my work day.

As for the shakes, it's okay to split it in half and drink like 4-6 oz at a time, then an hour or two later take the other half out of the fridge and drink the rest. You will probably only be able to drink 1 or 2 oz at a time for a long while, and the shakes can congeal if you leave them out too long, so it might be better to do that anyhow.

If you drink 2 Premier Protein shakes a day, then you have all of your protein (60g!) and almost half of your liquids in for the day. To start, you almost have to force it. Ideally you will take a sip of something at least every 15 minutes or you just aren't going to get it all in. It takes constant vigilance in the early days.

It will relax a little bit as you get a little farther out though. :)

Njjenny62 likes this

I have found that I have a hard time with certain things (well mostly everything) except shakes.  I know you aren't supposed to drink for 30 minutes before or after a meal, but I am seriously only getting about 500 calories a day in, including one shake, so I literally have to take a small drink of water after I eat.  For some reason, it gets me over the hump and gets it down.  If I don't do that, the only thing I would be eating would be a teaspoon of peanut butter and shakes.  I still probably only get one or two ounces of food down at a time, but it's literally the only way for it not to come back up for me.  Anyone else have to do this in the beginning.  I'm 2.5 weeks since surgery.

I have found that I have a hard time with certain things (well mostly everything) except shakes.  I know you aren't supposed to drink for 30 minutes before or after a meal, but I am seriously only getting about 500 calories a day in, including one shake, so I literally have to take a small drink of water after I eat.  For some reason, it gets me over the hump and gets it down.  If I don't do that, the only thing I would be eating would be a teaspoon of peanut butter and shakes.  I still probably only get one or two ounces of food down at a time, but it's literally the only way for it not to come back up for me.  Anyone else have to do this in the beginning.  I'm 2.5 weeks since surgery.

I just moved to the pureed phase of the diet at 2 weeks out....  what are you eating that you are having issues with?   You are still healing at this point, you should still be relying heavily on shakes at this point still and also starting to introduce soft/pureed foods.  1-2oz of yogurt or something along those textures sounds right on point to me.  It just takes time to heal and once it does you can start tolerating more; both food wise and quantity wise.  You are just fine  :)    The calories really do not matter at this stage, you need to focus on the protein and getting that goal in.... 1oz at a time!

Glad to hear you are doing better.

Hi Jolls,

I have trouble with almost everything - cream soups, soft eggs, pureed veggies (green beans), but it is getting better.  There are the things that I have no trouble with such as yogurt, shakes, and my favorite sugar free popsicles but those have no protein.  I'm tired of protein shakes but Muscle Milk isn't horrible and I try to have at least one a day to get in most of my protein.  But I will be glad to add in other foods and really have an actual meal again one day.  For now.  I'm down 21 pounds so I am happy.  I joined a gym and I start there on Monday, just walking and bicycle for now but in a couple of weeks, I can start adding in weights!!!

Hi Jolls,

I have trouble with almost everything - cream soups, soft eggs, pureed veggies (green beans), but it is getting better.  There are the things that I have no trouble with such as yogurt, shakes, and my favorite sugar free popsicles but those have no protein. 

I eat what goes down well and keep looking for more to add to the list. Shrimp got added last week -- a big plus for protein intake. (Thanks HC)

Lisa Mc and Mirtl like this

I feel the same, hard to get food down, it hurts when it hits the top of my stomach. I feel nauseated which I have tablets for. I was sleeved on August 29th and had complications with a leak and spent 8 weeks in hospital, I'm extremely frustrated now as things aren't getting easier. I am so weak and in tears all the time. I just want to feel well enough to care for my family again. I see my doctor tomorrow after a swallow and scan test. Hopefully he'll have good news to help.

I'm 2.5 weeks out as well, 3 on Wednesday. Yesterday I was able to introduce soft foods. However, I'm having the hardest time getting food in period. I'm also finding it hard to get all 64 oz of liquid in, since I was told not to drink for 30 minutes after and it can take me an hour to eat 2 oz. I'm also not getting that 'full' feeling, hoping this changes soon??? My head says I'm hungry but my body says nope, sorry. So frustrated. Help.

I'm 2.5 weeks out as well, 3 on Wednesday. Yesterday I was able to introduce soft foods. However, I'm having the hardest time getting food in period. I'm also finding it hard to get all 64 oz of liquid in, since I was told not to drink for 30 minutes after and it can take me an hour to eat 2 oz. I'm also not getting that 'full' feeling, hoping this changes soon??? My head says I'm hungry but my body says nope, sorry. So frustrated. Help.

The 64oz is just a goal.  No one expect you to be able to hit it off the bat.  Just keep working at it and you will get there!    You should likely still be on soft/pureed foods at this stage so yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, beans for example.  Since you just started yesterday make sure it is all soft texture things.  Ease your way into.  Just do your best, it will get better.

The full sensation may no longer be like how you associated it before surgery.  So if you are looking for that same sensation as before it may just be that it has changed now and you are not correlating actually being full after you have eaten.  Some people sneeze, hiccup, get a runny nose or burp - that is their indication.  Some get a buldge or bubble type feeling up in their chest.  I get this pain in my stomach - its not an OUCH pain but it is just a non-feeling feeling lol.

Edited by Jolls
Optimistic1 likes this

Jolls I have just entered the soft foods. I was attempting to eat some refried beans, however, it didn't go over so well. The non-feeling, feeling makes sense I suppose. I do get a bulge, kinda like a heaviness in my throat, almost like food is stuck, but I know it's not. Does that make sense? Is this 'full' ? I just wanted to feel satiated, ya know? Will that ever come?

Jolls I have just entered the soft foods. I was attempting to eat some refried beans, however, it didn't go over so well. The non-feeling, feeling makes sense I suppose. I do get a bulge, kinda like a heaviness in my throat, almost like food is stuck, but I know it's not. Does that make sense? Is this 'full' ? I just wanted to feel satiated, ya know? Will that ever come?

No, that is not full. That is "stuck". You need smaller bites. Coat the back of the spoon and lick half of the spoon back. Keep it in your mouth for a while. Let your saliva mix well with it. Swish it around, "chew" it (even though its hard to imagine chewing refried beans).

Then swallow.

Then sit there for a little while. Play with your nails. Count to 100. Then try another bite.

You might only get a tablespoon down but eating slower, smaller portions will make that lumpy feeling go away. :)

Sorry, I'm not Jolls, lol. But I thought I'd help you out. :)

I feel the same, hard to get food down, it hurts when it hits the top of my stomach. I feel nauseated which I have tablets for. I was sleeved on August 29th and had complications with a leak and spent 8 weeks in hospital, I'm extremely frustrated now as things aren't getting easier. I am so weak and in tears all the time. I just want to feel well enough to care for my family again. I see my doctor tomorrow after a swallow and scan test. Hopefully he'll have good news to help.

Pain or tightness in the chest is quite common after sleeve surgery. This does go away after a while.

In the meantime, use this to learn how to take smaller sips and bites. It will serve you very well down the road. You can't swallow an entire mouthful right now. That's going to hurt.

A lot of people use straws for this reason. They help to regulate sips. I couldn't trust my mouth and tongue to reliably tell me how much was in my mouth at first.

I welcome all responses Dees. I do, do this, ie, dip spoon and lick the back. I feel like I'm chewing, etc. really well, but I guess not. I'll try the count to 100 thing and see if this helps. I certainly hope so. Thanks so much.