BigB5SRT8

Pre Op Liquid Diet vs induction Atkins diet

Howdy folks,

Doc wants me to do this liquid diet which sucks. I'm 3 days in. Anyway, on the pre op diet sheet they gave me it says they would like me to be in ketosis for the liver to shrink and utilize the fat stores as an energy source. which I could get into with out the all liquid diet. Just eat chicken, fish, other carb free meats and eggs with small amount of veggies. I would be much happier with real food in my body. Is there a specific reason to be on just liquid.

Personally, I know the pre-op liquid diet sucks but at this stage, I'd recommend you follow your surgeon's plan to the letter.

It's a programme that they've found most successful in shrinking your liver and if you're going to trust your surgeon on the operating table, you really should pay him/her the respect of doing your part and following their pre-op liquid diet.

Having said that, you could always call your surgeon/NUT and ask them about the Atkins Induction Diet.

I would think at this point, if you have decided you needed surgery, that you probably need to follow what the surgeon suggests.

There's a very good chance you will not be eating "real food" for at least another 2 weeks AFTER surgery as well.

If this is a problem for you, you might want to seriously discuss this with your doctor.

Unfortunately the Atkins name has been effectively smeared by large agricultural concerns that have been pushing the simple carb agenda. It’s taken decades for the FDA to finally vilify simple carbs. But still the stigma of Atkins lingers. There are so many No carb diets out there that are nothing more than a face lifted Atkins diet.

Mt pre op diet was pretty liberal and they wanted 40-50 G of protein from shakes, and some lean meat. I myself ate more than some, and still lost 16 lbs pre op.

IF your surgeon specifically said to be in ketosis, then there is no real reason why you can’t eat SOME meat. It is really hard to get into ketosis though.

But you should be asking your surgeon (not your nutritionalist) ask him or her.

Follow the plan you were given;  they lay it out for a reason.  That is my advise...do what you will with it!  :)

Actually, post-op if we follow the rules we almost do an Atkins diet. After all, it is basically a protein-centric carb-averse diet, which is pretty much where we need to go. We also some of us pretty much go Paleo, but I find it hard to maintain.

A big part of the liquid diet immediately prior to surgery is to evacuate the stomach and intestines. Surgery would not be possible if the stomach and intestines were full of food.

For instance, it sometimes takes a week or more for red meats for process through completely. You don't want that there when your stomach and/or intestines are being cut open.

And even if your stomach / intestines aren't the subject of the surgery, most moderate to critical surgeries require the same process because they don't want you puking while under general anesthesia.

Also, as said above, don't think you know better than your surgeon, NUT, and RD. Its time to follow directions to the letter. Otherwise why bother paying so much (one way or the other) for their professional services. A bigger goal than actually getting cut on is to change your life, your eating habits, and to become less stubborn about some things and more so about the right things.

Thank You, JRH best answer by far. And thank you for all other replies folks.

Follow the plan you were given;  they lay it out for a reason. 

Totally agree with that.  Lap RNY is a tricky procedure that requires a lot of skill.  The fact that most of us are at least 100 lbs. overweight (and quite a few of us are more than that) makes it all the more complicated.  If your surgeon feels that the pre-op diet will work to make his/her job easier- stick with it. 

When I was pre-op and lurking on these forums, there was a post-op member named mistymee, who shared that she cheated on the pre-op diet, and her liver cracked during the operation.  If I weren't such a techno-loser, I'd find the link and paste it for you.  That image was burned into my brain and scared me straight.  I followed the program and my liver and I lived to tell the tale.

I know it sucks.  You could use some fancy protein shake recipes from Eggface's site or from some of the books about WLS that are out there.  It doesn't take much more than some Torani syrup or flavored extracts and a good imagination to come up with some tasty combos of your own.  The pre-op diet is a really short phase in this process and will be over before you know it.   Hang in there. 

A big part of the liquid diet immediately prior to surgery is to evacuate the stomach and intestines. Surgery would not be possible if the stomach and intestines were full of food.

For instance, it sometimes takes a week or more for red meats for process through completely. You don't want that there when your stomach and/or intestines are being cut open.

And even if your stomach / intestines aren't the subject of the surgery, most moderate to critical surgeries require the same process because they don't want you puking while under general anesthesia.

Not everyone is required to do a pre-op liquid diet - I wasn't but then I lost close to 35lb on the pre-surgery diet and my liver was not enlarged.  There were lots like me who's programme was just nothing after midnight the day before surgery.

The stomach and intestines that are being bypass (in a RNY) are cleared enough within that time frame.

Thank you for the tips I did stick out the liquid diet. Doctor Yu still said my liver was fatty so it took a biopsy to have it checked out. He said there was no other problems.