• Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:285
  • Current Weight:272
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):48.6
  • Surgery Date:06/24/2014
  • Surgery Type:Duodenal Switch

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

I do not have the best teeth and I was just wondering if that is a pre-op thing that they check on.  Can bad teeth and gums delay or cancel your surgery?   :unsure:

weight.png

#2 DianaS

DianaS

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationDFW Area
  • Surgeon:Dr. Hodges
  • Hospital:Forest Park
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:221
  • Current Weight:138
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:03/20/2013
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

I haven't heard of this being an issue.  God luck!

#3 BugdocMom

BugdocMom

TT Master

• Community Mentor
  • 6,172 posts
  • LocationMenifee, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Coon
  • Hospital:Parkview, Riverside, CA
  • Start Weight:238
  • Current Weight:123
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.1
  • Surgery Date:5/31/2011

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

I seem to recall seeing posts by a couple of folks who had dental issues interfere with their surgery clearance. But I believe those were on another forum, http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/

I can't find the specific posts since they were years ago. But it's a large forum so you may get some feedback if you ask there.

The best place to ask is your potential surgeon's office. If you have one in mind, just give the staff a quick call and explain your condition and see what they say. That will be much more reliable than asking others' experiences.

Be aware, however, that WLS can make it even more difficult to maintain good dental health because of malabsorption issues, changes in food/ eating behavior, and changes in salivary properties like pH after WLS. You will have to be even more diligent with your dental hygiene and dental visits after WLS.

This isn't a question that comes up regularly, please let us know what your surgeon says or what you hear from others.

Best of luck!!!

#4 dorie

dorie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN
  • Surgeon:Dr. Shwartz
  • Hospital:St. Joseph's
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:355
  • Current Weight:355
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):59

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:52 AM

When I went to my seminar, one of the things they stressed was the need for good teeth. It is actually a requirement for surgery. You need to be able to chew your food very well. I think I'd call and ask, better to be sure.

#5 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,540 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:15 AM

This may be helpful:

I have bad teeth - is that a problem?

Your anesthesiologist will want to know about any dental prostheses (false teeth, bridges, implants), tooth or gum disease, or cosmetic dentistry. This information is needed because of the risk of trauma or damage to teeth during the insertion of breathing tubes or other instruments. Obviously the danger is increased if a tooth is actually loose.

If you inform your anesthesiologist about dental prostheses, tooth or gum disease, or cosmetic dentistry, it will help avoid tooth damage. Special anesthesia techniques may be necessary. Sometimes, if a tooth is very loose or fragile, it is wise just to have it removed by a dentist before your surgery.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#6 tmcgee

tmcgee

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts
  • LocationBraintree, MA
  • Surgeon:Ali Tavakkoli
  • Hospital:Brigham & Women's, Boston, MA
  • Height (ft-in):6-00
  • Start Weight:356
  • Current Weight:214
  • Goal Weight:199
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):29.0
  • Surgery Date:03/14/2013

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

I don't have any lower molars left and use my front teeth for chewing. They are wearing down fast. The psychologist tried to make an issue of it, but I fought back. I do plan to get dental work done, but have to pursue alternatives to my long time dentist who wants $40k+ to do the work.

- Tom

weight.png     event.png

#7 Happy-Camper

Happy-Camper

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:226
  • Current Weight:131.4
  • Goal Weight:126
  • Surgery Date:12/29/2011

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:38 AM

I had a loose tooth at surgery.  It was loose due to bone decay that was due to a cracked root that had gotten infected and I never knew about it because there was no pain. (small blessings).  But anyway, I made sure they all knew about it and they told me it was because of the breathing tube they insert. They would use extra caution not to bump it or be rough.  THAT made me nervous moreso than the loose tooth (which has since been extracted).  I now have 31 teeth including all the wisdom teeth and I can happily report that there were no issues at surgery.  :)

Not sure what your issues are, but I hope your experience is good.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" --Gandhi

“When you walk to the edge of all the light you have known
and take that first step into the darkness of the unknown,
you must believe that one of two things will happen.
There will be something solid for you to stand upon
or you will be taught to fly.”
  --Patrick Overton

#8 Dees

Dees

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts
  • Start Weight:314
  • Current Weight:167
  • Surgery Date:2/25/13
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

Gum disease may cause some complications. I certainly wouldn't want to try this surgery with peridontis or pre-peridontis.

You can have complications with losing teeth if they aren't well seated in your gums.

Additionally, heavy plaque buildup (a definite precursor to periodontis) and calcification (which is when your plaque under the gum line begins to harden and start off the pockets forming, which is where periodontis comes from)... Those things have a definite correlation with heart disease. Yes, getting your teeth regularly cleaned can help to prevent heart attacks. Really. My mom was in dentistry for 40 years. I grew up in dental offices.

Will it stop you from getting surgery? Probably not, but I'd get it taken care of sooner than later. Smiling at someone with a mouthful of pus laden, purple gums and blood streaking down your teeth really isn't the image I bet you're going for with this bid for better health.

I'd not be so graphic, but I've seen this. It's not pretty. Gives me the chills. My stepson is headed for juvenile dentures at 14 years old because he refuses to brush his teeth. "But they bleed when I brush them!" Yep. They wouldn't if you were regularly brushing though. He has pre-periodontis. His gums bleed when he smiles sometimes. It's not good.

Hope he plans on getting a job, because I have no intentions of spending 10k on a pair of dentures he will only wear for 4 years.

If your teeth and gum problems are due to nutritional deficiency, bulimia, or because of jaw size or some other anomaly, I apologize. Just, usually it's because of a lack of hygiene. It upsets me that in a civilized, first world country like the US, we have this issue.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We still think of a powerful man as a born leader and a powerful woman as an anomaly." - Margaret Atwood

"Food is just NOT worthy of my death. Period."  - HorseCrazyMom, TT

"Look at it as a treat and move on to the next meal."  -- CoolLady2007, MFP 

"Just because you know you can eat more, doesn't mean you need to or should."  - Jolls, TT

weight.png

#9 door2knowwhere

door2knowwhere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationFt Lewis
  • Surgeon:Dr. Carter
  • Hospital:Madigan Army Hospital
  • Start Weight:285
  • Current Weight:272
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):48.6
  • Surgery Date:06/24/2014
  • Surgery Type:Duodenal Switch

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

My dental problems basically have to do with the fact that dental hygiene was not a big deal in my house when I was growing up.  We rarely saw a dentist so by the time I was in my teens my teeth and gums were pretty bad.  As I became an adult, I have tried to be as vigilant as I can with my dental hygiene at home, but with long stemming problems, I have broken teeth and receding gums as well as some tooth rot.  I need to have dental surgery done, but to fix my teeth would be in the thousands of dollars and I have never been able to afford that.  I do plan on having my teeth fixed soon, but that would have to wait until I have the money to do it.  Thanks for the help, but not so much for the judgement  :(   That was not an easy question to ask on a forum like this.

weight.png

#10 debsnovela

debsnovela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Surgeon:Dr. Matt Metz
  • Hospital:Rose Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-11
  • Start Weight:304
  • Current Weight:185.0
  • Goal Weight:175
  • Surgery Date:07/22/2013
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

I know my surgeon asked at my consultation. I know thats a hard question to ask here. I've worked in dentistry for 16 years. Gum issues better known as periodontal disease and active caries or decay definitely play a role in your overall health. Periodontal disease is also directly related to diabetes, high BP, heart disease and more recently even colon diseases. Remember that everything that happens in the mouth is directly related to your systemic health. I would encourage you to seek out a reputable dentist/hygienist and make this a priority. I know sometimes easier said than done ;)
A couple of finance options you may check into are: WWW.carecredit.com or WWW.springstone.com
Wishing you all the best! Don't be discouraged!

Deb

"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord"

48603522.png
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter