WorkinProcess

Things you need to know

102 posts in this topic

back to the top for the newbies

thornbury150 and GAviv like this

Thanks WorkinProcess.  Newbies like me need to read this

One thing I was surprised about was my lack of "internal" pain. Aside from the gas for the first 2-3 days (which was excruciating for the 1st 2 days!!!) I felt no internal pain. I would have thought I'd have pain in my stomach and maybe a bruised liver, but there was no pain.

The incisions stung a little, but after the gas pain subsided, there was nothing else.

I guess there's not a lot of pain receptors around the stomach.

I had the same experience! I really felt like the gas pains were going to kill me! Once I left the hospital (they wouldn't give me anything for the gas, just told me to walk and BOY was I walking!) I got some infant gas drops and they make life livable again!

Perfect!

Just had surgery Monday and this is GREAT!

I love straight talking posts like this. Nicely done!!!

I would add (and apply to myself first)...

1. It's not like we don't know cheese burgers and pizza are bad for us. After a lifetime of trying to lose/re-lose weight, many of us have become experts on nutrition. Information is not the problem; it's the application where we get tripped up.
  2. The surgery may be a great starter, but it's a lousy fuel. There is no getting around it; I'm going to have to do the work if I want to see meaningful and lasting results.
  3. Weight loss surgery is not brain surgery. It's not going to change how we think or heal a bad relationship with food. That is up to me, not my surgeon.
Edited by Jabsie

Thank you for sharing this - it is so true! Im now 6-days post op! And boy, have I felt like crap! But it gets better. Slowly, but safely.

This is a MAJOR decision to take, and I have been prepping for this for about two years, before I finally took the decision. So I thought I was really prepared! I have been doing online research about the operation, the complications, side effects etc. I have been talking to people who have had the operation, and I have been talking to doctors .

So I thought I was ready! 

But what I wasn't ready for was the feelings the days after the surgery. I felt really blue, sad and scared! It all of the sudden occured to me, that this is a no-turning-back-decision. I can never regret it, and go back to my old life! Not that I want to. But my old life was my comfort zone.. and the first few days I felt really sorry for myself, thinking of all the things I can never eat again. Instead of thinking about ALL the wonderful things I can do when I lose weight!! 

I can go into any shop and buy pants

I dont have to be afraid that a chair will break under me

I dont have to be insecure when meeting new people

I can go diving

I can start running!

I can go skydiving!

...and most importantly: I can smile. Really smile without any worries about what people think of my weight.

Really - the sky is the limit!! And my old life - was not good for me. But I had to mourn about it, and it took nothing for me to start crying. Im still not happy-go-lucky - but it gets better each day!

TammyO, walkat103, Clickin and 2 others like this

Bumping it up for newbies

Bumping it up for newbies

GOOD. I need to keep reading it now & again--thank you.  :)

Schedule for VSG two weeks from today. Printing this out for posting in the kitchen! Thanks SO much!w

shar8676 likes this

Schedule for VSG two weeks from today. Printing this out for posting in the kitchen! Thanks SO much!w

Good Luck on your surgery!

Runny noses!

One of the presenters at my pre-op class said that the runny nose was the weirdest thing--for her when she was full, she would get a runny nose "warning".

Have any of you gotten that? I did a search on the site and didn't find anything.

I am Post Op day 2 and drinking has gotten easier, although I find myself gulping instead of sipping.... Anyway, my nose has started to run. A lot. At first I thought that was a good sign that I am not dehydrated because my sinuses were a wreck just last night (very dry), but today they are very....moist.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Runny noses!

One of the presenters at my pre-op class said that the runny nose was the weirdest thing--for her when she was full, she would get a runny nose "warning".

Have any of you gotten that? I did a search on the site and didn't find anything.

I am Post Op day 2 and drinking has gotten easier, although I find myself gulping instead of sipping.... Anyway, my nose has started to run. A lot. At first I thought that was a good sign that I am not dehydrated because my sinuses were a wreck just last night (very dry), but today they are very....moist.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Yes. I had a runny nose for about a year and a half off and on. It did go away eventually. It did usually happen after eating, but not always. I couldn't run without a wad of tissues for a long time!

Edited by Molly January
Forward to Health likes this

This is not a new thread...but new to me.

I'm 2 years post op. Started at 222 and lowest was 152. This morning I'm 161 and I'm horrified. I ran across this great thread. I had always told myself I would not gain more than 2 pounds. Anyway, because of this thread I know what I did wrong. I am eating the wrong things and too much in general. 

I pushed the envelope. I still would like to get down to 140. I paid for my daughter's surgery. Imagine how it feels to watch her get down quicker and lower than I. She looks like a gorgeous doll. I wanted this for her...it saved her life! I know what must be done. It's just 20 pounds. 

Edited by Lee6lee
LeeC and bcd like this

#9 is the most enduring one for me.  I have not, as of 6 months out, figured out when to stop before it gets ugly.

Hiccups come fast, and too late--they are no warning, they are a consequence.  Feeling awful is a deterrant, but somehow my mind says--"you should eat every bite you can up to that point"--and therein lay "the crazy".  

What I have started doing is setting the bowls on the island and serving myself 1/2 of what I think I *can* eat.  Generally that means I put food on my plate and say "who am I kidding, that will never go down" and put half back in the bowls.  The other thing to remember for me is that the first thing that goes back in is starch--all of it.

One amazing thing I have learned about myself is that I can only eat 1 egg.  I keep making two, but I can never eat two.  What kind of psycho makes 2 eggs, when only 1 will fit--oh, and I am happy with one egg.  I give the other to my husband or teenager.  But still, the un-learning is an amazing process.  Be *present* for it!

LeLo likes this

31 minutes ago, Forward to Health said:

#9 is the most enduring one for me.  I have not, as of 6 months out, figured out when to stop before it gets ugly.

Hiccups come fast, and too late--they are no warning, they are a consequence.  Feeling awful is a deterrant, but somehow my mind says--"you should eat every bite you can up to that point"--and therein lay "the crazy".  

What I have started doing is setting the bowls on the island and serving myself 1/2 of what I think I *can* eat.  Generally that means I put food on my plate and say "who am I kidding, that will never go down" and put half back in the bowls.  The other thing to remember for me is that the first thing that goes back in is starch--all of it.

One amazing thing I have learned about myself is that I can only eat 1 egg.  I keep making two, but I can never eat two.  What kind of psycho makes 2 eggs, when only 1 will fit--oh, and I am happy with one egg.  I give the other to my husband or teenager.  But still, the un-learning is an amazing process.  Be *present* for it!

Thank you for the response!

At 2 years out, you will be able to eat more. I say "your stomach relaxes". But the tool is still there. The only thing that is going to work for me is FOOD CHOICES and PORTION CONTROL. I don't feel like a failure. But do feel like I'm still learning.

CollinK likes this

I just want to say again how much I love this post.

My surgery is June 8, 2016. Any advise?

6 hours ago, Kona said:

Welcome Kona!

The only advice I can give is to read all you can, ask questions and join in the conversations.

Res Ipsa and ikantspel like this

On 5/29/2016 at 1:58 AM, Kona said:

Konami, how is it going?  Welcome to this side of it!  I had VSG Sept 1, and my sister had GB Dec 19.  We are both rule followers....advice from experience...be a rule follower.  I am a minister's wife, so I am in many social situations where social rules outweigh my better sense.  I slowed my losing drastically in February.  My sister, who started out heavier (she is also shorter) is making amazing progress.  Don't get me wrong--at a size 10 I can hardly complain and never thought I would be here again.  Also, GB causes faster weight loss than VSG, but for multiple reasons it was the ideal choice for me.  

This works!  Find your new normal.  Read the posts, and be amazing.  You are amazing.  Oh, and box up your winter clothes now.  You will never need that size again!!!!

This is all invaluable information!  At the risk of being redundant I thought I would share a few notes as I am currently 4 days post-op. 

I'm a pretty strong guy, my pain threshold is good - that being said, even if you have a high threshold, don't push the envelope with pain meds.  If the scrip is every 4-6 hours, stick with those numbers.  I found out the hard way.  You don't have to feel pain in order to manage pain.  Tough one to wrap my brain around but very true.  

It's important to consider that when you are experiencing abdominal pain it is hard to move around and you most certainly will need to overcompensate with other body parts and muscles to get situated.  No one is going to suggest becoming an elite athlete during the pre-op phase, but get some resistance bands - work a little on your core and your upper body so that you can help yourself and be more independent.  I know it has made a difference for me. 

All in all I feel good.  As long as I am managing my pain.  So far I have zero regrets and I HIGHLY recommend Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Dr. Nagle if you are in the market.  

Cheers!  (**lifts Premier Protein shake) 

GAviv likes this

15 hours ago, Cubs Rule said:

This is all invaluable information!  At the risk of being redundant I thought I would share a few notes as I am currently 4 days post-op. 

I'm a pretty strong guy, my pain threshold is good - that being said, even if you have a high threshold, don't push the envelope with pain meds.  If the scrip is every 4-6 hours, stick with those numbers.  I found out the hard way.  You don't have to feel pain in order to manage pain.  Tough one to wrap my brain around but very true.  

It's important to consider that when you are experiencing abdominal pain it is hard to move around and you most certainly will need to overcompensate with other body parts and muscles to get situated.  No one is going to suggest becoming an elite athlete during the pre-op phase, but get some resistance bands - work a little on your core and your upper body so that you can help yourself and be more independent.  I know it has made a difference for me. 

All in all I feel good.  As long as I am managing my pain.  So far I have zero regrets and I HIGHLY recommend Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Dr. Nagle if you are in the market.  

Cheers!  (**lifts Premier Protein shake) 

You may find as you lose weight other parts of your body hurt as they readjust to posture.  My back and hip were problem areas for a while..

Cubs Rule likes this

I didn't take time to read all the responses but this post is FABULOUS! I'm still pre-op - 5 days till surgery. I feel I got a little beat up on one of the Facebook "support" sites because I said the pre-op diet isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Mostly I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about everything because honestly - doesn't attitude play a HUGE role is all of this?? One of the responses was "I hope post op is as easy for you too" and then another person jumped in and said "you have no idea how hard post op is. It's nothing like you think you have prepared for." Ok ladies - I never said pre-op was EASY. I said it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be AND also - I think that perhaps my attitude plays a huge role in it! I listen to weight loss meditation recordings which I also think helps. Anyway - I'm going to (if it's OK) copy and post this list on some of the FB support sites. Perhaps not the one that beat me up though.....I'm sure I'll get reprimanded for posting such stuff when I have NO IDEA WHAT POST OP IS LIKE! In their defense, they had surgery late last week and I'm sure their emotions are running on overload so I can't really fault them too much. I've been praying like crazy that God keeps my emotions in check post op!

Clickin, Raeme, GAviv and 1 other like this

4 hours ago, Mern said:

Ithe pre-op diet isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Mostly I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about everything because honestly - doesn't attitude play a HUGE role is all of this?? 

My surgeon makes everyone have a 4 week pre-op diet. I decided to try out the meal replacement shakes early to see just how awful they were, after reading so many "Gagging" "vomit worthy" types of posts, and found them quite palatable myself. I ended up buying heaps more  when on sale and have used them twice daily ever since, so going on 8 weeks already. I don't even have my surgery date yet. Weight is coming off, surgeon is a happy chappy, and as I'm single again it saves me a whole lot of time prepping, cooking, and cleaning up.

I believe attitude plays a key role in how the whole surgical trip plays out. Some people just like the attention on themselves and feel every aspect of everything in their lives differently to those who just take each day as it comes. Let them wear their martyr caps and just keep the positive attitude for as long as you can.

Mern likes this