WorkinProcess

Things you need to know

102 posts in this topic

Thanks for this post! I had my surgery 3 days ago and i had forgotten how much it sucks coming out of a general anaesthetic. I think I will refer back to this lots of times in the near future :)

This was great for me to read. Thank you for posting this! People have said so many times "This is not a cure". I know this. I have done my research. Its a tough decision. What I love to tell them is that I have struggled for 20 years being over weight, micro managing food, the emotional and psychological struggles related to food etc.... After surgery I will still be fighting those battles, I know this. The difference is I can fight them and finally win! 

Lindy likes this

Thank you so much for your post!! I really needed to hear all of this! I am almost 2 weeks post op gastric bypass and the liquids have gotten old. I have stalled a little with my weight loss but I think that ids due to hormones. So far I have tolerated everything well except for when I got home and determined I was lactose intolerant. Trying to stay positive and keep moving forward!

All the posts from successful WLS patients is inspiring to me.  Thank you!

Decided to bump this back up in response to the number of new pre and post ops we have.

No matter how well you think you are prepared for this surgery, you probably aren't.

This is a physical and emotional roller coaster.

Hang in there and you WILL succeed.

It goes without saying that no mater how picky you think you are about eating, you need to try to open up your mind and deal with new food.

Food/life as you know it is OVER

The sooner you accept that, embrace it, and run with that......the happier you will be!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!

Great advice thank you

I posted this onto my page, so I can look back at it daily and re read it.  THANK You for posting!

Some things that anyone having surgery needs to remember:

1. This is major surgery - its going to hurt, and you are going to feel like crap.  It gets better.
  2. No one gives awards for not taking your pain medications.  There are no get out of jail free cards for people that "stand the pain stoically"   If it hurts, take the meds.
  3. Follow the guidelines for your diet recommendations.  If you are supposed to have liquid for the first week, that doesn't mean pizza in a blender.
  4. Put on your big girl/boy pants and drink the protein drinks and water.  No amount of whining replaces the nutrition you need from protein and the hydration you need from water.  A trip to the E.R is not a fun replacement.
  5. Stay off the scales the first couple of weeks - your body has been through the blender, and no matter how much you think you Should have lost, its going to take a while.
  6. Don't compare your loss to the losses of others.  You will lose at the rate that is right for you - all comparison shopping does is upset you.  There's always going to be someone that claims they lost 25# a week -- maybe they did, maybe they didn't.  Its like comparing salaries at work - you wont get a raise just because Jim makes more than you do - you'll just get po'd about it.
  7. Once you get to the point you are feeling better - Exercise.  You don't have to LIKE it - you just have to DO it.
  8. Stick with your nutritional guidelines - yes I said that in #3 but it bears repeating.  Just because you are bored with soft foods doesn't mean you go out and have chips and dip and burritos.
  9. If it hurts, STOP eating.  It doesn't matter if its a teaspoon or a cup - nothing good will come of going past your comfort level.
  10. HANG IN THERE.... this works.... just give it time....

If you dont want to take your pain meds, you can send them to me :)

HA HA

But seriously folks... thanks for this post Workin! this will be printed and posted on my wall!

Bumping up again in case all the newbies haven't seen this.

Please follow you surgeons instructions - he's the one you are paying the big bucks - if you had all the answers already, you'd be skinny and spending the money on an exotic vacation.

well put :) and totally true  :wub:

This is awesome!!! I am whining and cringing every time I have to drink my 3oz of protein!!! I'm so over it but it will be over soon!!! Thanks for the words!

lyndamarie likes this

I NEEDED to read this right now :) Definelty something to lift my spirits!

Lennie likes this

Bumping this back up to the top again --- just in case you are considering surgery or just had it!

I cannot say ENOUGH TIMES that this is major surgery, and you can't just expect to go back to "normal" in a day, week, or month or two.

DO NOT try to eat solid food just because you are bored with liquids!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT have this surgery for less than 50# loss, you are going to have to modify your diet more than if you just went on a traditional diet, and it will be a LOT more painful.

Edited by WorkinProcess

Prior to surgery- 6 month diet

2 weeks prior liquid diet and then the laxative cleanse the day before surgery...was it fun?? NO . Did it kill me? NO. Was it worth it? YES YES YES!!!!

Day of surgery- nervous and scared! 

After surgery- sore, very sore, and thirsty. I thought oh God what did I just do?????

I sucked it up and started walking up and down the hallway at the hospital. After 2  1/2 days in the hospital I got to go home! Still sore but guess what??? My blood pressure and blood sugar were normal! Is that crazy??? 2 1/2 days after surgery no more blood pressure meds and no abnormal blood sugar! My husband always discouraged WLS and I think when he heard the nurse tell me my blood pressure and sugar were already normal converted him on the spot! He kept saying I can't believe that! 

When I got home I was sore, I slept on our recliner sofa for about two weeks so I didn't have to lay on my sore tummy, the recliner was just easier. I only needed pain meds for the first few days, after that I started doing light housework and preparing meals for my family. The more you move the quicker you heal. It's the absolute truth!

I lost over 40 pounds the first 6 weeks. I looked like a different person! I am now 6 months post op and down 89 pounds. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I wasted 10 years of my life hiding on the sidelines in fat. That is a shame! I have not had any horrible complications and I am finally living! I feel good, I feel pretty, I flirt with my husband more, I am active with my ten year old son. I don't take 5 meds per day anymore. I can wear cute clothes. Sales clerks call me petite! Strangers smile at me. Food is an addiction; if you follow your doctor's advice and educate yourself this surgery can save your life and change your life. I am so thankful I did it and I thank God for my success. I hope the same for anyone considering WLS. It feels so wonderful!

This is great for new people like me. Thanks!!

CeCeJD and lyndamarie like this

Great advice thank you

1. This is major surgery - its going to hurt, and you are going to feel like crap.  It gets better.
  2. No one gives awards for not taking your pain medications.  There are no get out of jail free cards for people that "stand the pain stoically"   If it hurts, take the meds.
  3. Follow the guidelines for your diet recommendations.  If you are supposed to have liquid for the first week, that doesn't mean pizza in a blender.
  4. Put on your big girl/boy pants and drink the protein drinks and water.  No amount of whining replaces the nutrition you need from protein and the hydration you need from water.  A trip to the E.R is not a fun replacement.
  5. Stay off the scales the first couple of weeks - your body has been through the blender, and no matter how much you think you Should have lost, its going to take a while.
  6. Don't compare your loss to the losses of others.  You will lose at the rate that is right for you - all comparison shopping does is upset you.  There's always going to be someone that claims they lost 25# a week -- maybe they did, maybe they didn't.  Its like comparing salaries at work - you wont get a raise just because Jim makes more than you do - you'll just get po'd about it.
  7. Once you get to the point you are feeling better - Exercise.  You don't have to LIKE it - you just have to DO it.
  8. Stick with your nutritional guidelines - yes I said that in #3 but it bears repeating.  Just because you are bored with soft foods doesn't mean you go out and have chips and dip and burritos.
  9. If it hurts, STOP eating.  It doesn't matter if its a teaspoon or a cup - nothing good will come of going past your comfort level.

THANK YOU FOR BEING BLUNT AND HONEST.....I NEEDED TO HEAR THAT...BAJAGAL.

This is great advice for me. I needed it. Thank-you:)

Moving this back to the top for newbies.

GAviv likes this

This is awesome!!!

Be prepared to gain a water weight in the hospital. With all the fluids they pump into you & with your liquid diet, you'll gain 10-20lbs before you leave.  :eek:

thank you! awesome advice.  My surgery is Jan 20th and I am getting excited, nervous but excited!  I have already been whining about the protein shakes, just worried I wont find one I can tolerate! BUT I WILL DRINK THEM  NO MATTER WHAT!!!  I love this forum, I have learned so much!!!!

Moving this back In response to the number of new people who seem more concerned with "When can I eat......"

I mean, really????

You spent 1000s and were sick as dog and now you want to know when you can start eating the very food that got you here?

I agree with the post above. your still swollen and it takes a few days to feel comfortable drinking. I had to take tums as well because everything wanted to come back up. I also found that using plastic ice cubes for my protein shakes made them not warm while taking forever to drink them. I also made 4 oz shakes instead of 8 oz. It is really hard to get it all in in the beginning and not a lot easier 4 wks out. Trust! It does get easier day by day!

good luck and congrats on the new beginning!!

Insulated glasses or those that you put in the freezer also work very well.

Thank You so much for this post! Although I am still pre-op, there is so much I still need to learn and remember. Although one of my best friends had gastric bypass, her total experience thus far is different than what I have been learning. I have been hearing about weighing your food. I said something to her about that and she was like, don't do that, you don't have to. I haven't been told this by my doctor as of yet, but it is concerning. I now know to make sure I am listening to the guidelines I am given. I am actually going through the same hospital/doctor my friend did, but things change and I need to remember that. Again, thank you for this post!!!  :wub:

Edited by Time2Live