WorkinProcess

Things you need to know

102 posts in this topic

Great post!

I love this! Its another post I will be printing and posting somewhere around my house. I go to my surgeons support groups regularly and it helps that a majority of his staff are also post op patients. All that plus the wonderful information on here I am soo ready to have my surgery already.

There seems to be the perception among some that if it doesn't make you sick it will somehow be OK to eat the same things that got you here in the first place.

Yeah, we do seem to come across that every once in a while here.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should....

Natybug98 likes this

Love the list, #6 hits home with me. 

Thank you!

I'm worried about that protein drink! I need to taste it now before I have to drink it.

1. 4. Put on your big girl/boy pants and drink the protein drinks and water.  No amount of whining replaces the nutrition you need from protein and the hydration you need from water.  A trip to the E.R is not a fun replacement.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!!!!   Thank you MJ!!!!!

:D 

MJ, I just saw this and wanted to say THANK YOU!!!  This is an excellent post and everyone should print this out and post it somewhere in their house, office, car, etc! 

Time2Live and ✯AprilWine✯ like this

Well Said!  Also you get out of it what you put into it!  :)

WorkinProcess likes this

Loved this post. Last week at my required pre-op class the girl across from me was having her surgery the next morning. Was she drinking water? No, she was drinking EXTRA Sweet Tea! My friend taking the class with me pointed it out, and we were both horrified! Jen

Extra Sweet Tea -- sounds like someone who's going to be rowing that boat up stream all the way...

Natybug98, Time2Live, KC231 and 4 others like this

Thank you for sharing!  This is awesome!

Great self-care advice!

Great post, thank you!

Thanks for the great tips!

I would like to ask the community one question!

I hade my vertical sleeve surgery two days ago,(11/14/13). Everything went very well and I am resting at home today! The tenderness/soreness in the midsection is quite honestly more than I expected! I am trying vigorously to stay hydrated with water and also consume the 60-70 grams of protein via protein drinks but it is very difficult drinking anything! Every time I take a sip of a liquid it seems to sit in my chest for a few seconds before it settles! It's borderline painful and it's also made drinking a day long project! I've been nursing a protein drink for almost three hours now and still not finished with it yet, lol! 

I'm hoping this goes away or at least get easier in terms of simply drinking!

Would love to hear some thoughts....

Thanks...

It gets better when the swelling in your stomach subsides. Have some sugar free Popsicles, jell-o etc. all contribute to your liquid totals. You just need more healing time. Jen

I keep coming back to your list. I'm printing it out and taping where I can see it everyday. Thanks.

Thank you that is Great advice. My surgery date is December 11th. I have been on the liquid diet for 3 days. Doing well and excited about my surgery. Getting everything done and putting up the tree next weekend so I can just recover when I get back home.

Exactly what I needed to read. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!

Any suggestions on how I can get some energy back, had bypass a week ago monday...just tired all the time!!!

Its not unusual to be tired a week out, in fact its pretty normal.  Just get your protein in, and your water, and cut yourself some slack.

You will get better, just take it slow and easy.

Some of us take 4-6 weeks to bounce back. Please be patient and kind to yourself--you've just had major surgery.

MJ thank you for reminding me of the basic rules, sometimes we need it.

Any suggestions on how I can get some energy back, had bypass a week ago monday...just tired all the time!!!

I started b12 shots 2 weeks after surgery because i was doing so bad with my energy - after i had my shot and with puree i started getting some energy back. I say the first two weeks are the worst

Rainvenezia likes this

I don't think my body was back to normal, energy wise for a good 6-8 weeks! You are healing from a super invasive surgery.  Take the time to recover, your energy will be back soon! : )

tmcgee likes this

Love this!