WorkinProcess

Things you need to know

102 posts in this topic

I love this, MJ!! #2 is very well put! I have never been one to try to power through the pain! I pushed that little button up until just before they took it away and I proceeded to ask for my pain meds right on schedule.

These are all great tips. Thanks for posting!

Becca52, Mirtl and Gidget like this

Love it!!

CherryBombCutie likes this

I learned the hard way that you should take your pain meds everytime you are due for them.  I had 2 c-sections; after the first one I wanted to be Super Mom and tough it out since I didn't have the experience of a "normal" delivery.  Wow!!  Bad idea, took me forever to heal from that one.  Baby #2 I was using the PCA pump as much as it would let me and then pain meds around the clock.  I recovered so much faster after baby #2, I was up and walking the next day, packing my stuff so I could go home and enjoying my new bundle of joy.  Take the drugs, it will get you moving faster and that helps you heal faster.

kmamaward, kimmie1223 and Natybug98 like this

You tell it like it is! This is not surgery for wimps; it is not the easy way out.

I would also add: Follow your vitamin regimen. And I would also add: Do not expect to be perfect with vitamins, protein, and fluid right our of the gate. You have been through major surgery and all systems need to recover.

Raddy, Cue and Steph2015 like this

You guys are right, NO ONE is ever perfect at this -- but we have to TRY.....

Time2Live likes this

I love this!

good reminders!!

Good list.  Well put.

I would add, learn to love yourself.  Because the loss isn't going to come overnight, and you're going to have some awkward transitional stages.  At the end of this, if you don't love and accept yourself, it's not going to help any eating problems.  So forgive yourself if you make a mistake, and learn that it's OKAY to be human and make those mistakes.  Can't beat yourself up--it's a learning process!

foxy, kimmie1223, monikers and 23 others like this

Awesome!

Bravo!  This should become a placard at the top of the website. I've been surprised by the ignorance and lack of common sense expressed in many of the posts. I don't understand how those people could undertake this surgery and major life change without better informing themselves and asking questions of the professional staff at the surgery center.

If you have a problem with your prescription meds, why on earth would you ask anonymous people with no medical training on a forum for medical advice and tinker with your medication yourself instead of calling your doctor's office??? If you are bleeding from unexpected places, why go online instead of to the emergency room???  Makes me crazy!

Bravo!  This should become a placard at the top of the website. I've been surprised by the ignorance and lack of common sense expressed in many of the posts. I don't understand how those people could undertake this surgery and major life change without better informing themselves and asking questions of the professional staff at the surgery center.

If you have a problem with your prescription meds, why on earth would you ask anonymous people with no medical training on a forum for medical advice and tinker with your medication yourself instead of calling your doctor's office??? If you are bleeding from unexpected places, why go online instead of to the emergency room???  Makes me crazy!

For the most part I agree with your first paragraph. People should be informed and do much research, they should ask questions.  Unfortunately very few of the presenters at the initial weight loss seminar have actually HAD the surgery. I got my info both from professionals and people who have been thru it.

I am not the only person that commented that the seminar was a lot like an old time revival coming into town and setting up a show to sell snake oil. The bottom line is this surgery is an ELECTIVE low risk surgery that is a huge money maker for hospitals and surgical staff. The seminar is a sales pitch.

The second paragraph though operates under an erroneous assumption that DRs know everything and or always have your best interests at heart. This is not true. They do a job like you and me and some of them are as piss poor at their job as someone you may know at your place of employment.

While there a few bad people out there that spew false info for fun, the majority of the people here have been through and or going to go thru surgery to change a lifelong habit. We ALL got FAT by eating too much PERIOD.

If doctors truly had MY best interest at heart. They would have noticed my bradycardia and would have not performed the surgery until it was straightened out.

I like to get both perspectives and make my own logical decision. I also like to learn what the right questions to ask are.

I have found that a GOOD doctor will tell you much more if you speak with them from a good base of knowledge on your condition, than some schmoe that doesn’t know what is wrong with themselves.

One thing I was surprised about was my lack of "internal" pain. Aside from the gas for the first 2-3 days (which was excruciating for the 1st 2 days!!!) I felt no internal pain. I would have thought I'd have pain in my stomach and maybe a bruised liver, but there was no pain.

The incisions stung a little, but after the gas pain subsided, there was nothing else.

I guess there's not a lot of pain receptors around the stomach.

Love it. Gana make my husband read it too so he can help push me ;)

Fastantic list! :D

lol @ If you are supposed to have liquid for the first week, that doesn't mean pizza in a blender.

What a great post!  Very good advice!

lol @ If you are supposed to have liquid for the first week, that doesn't mean pizza in a blender.

pizza in a blender is strictly for pureed food.  bwaahahaaa...  but add a chocolate protein shake!  ...and maybe a Prilosec.

A big AMEN sister!!!!

So funny you said that MJ, pizza in a blender...there was a guy in my nutrition class yesterday who asked if he can put pizza in a blender or a McDonald's hamburger during pureed stage. Yikes!

So funny you said that MJ, pizza in a blender...there was a guy in my nutrition class yesterday who asked if he can put pizza in a blender or a McDonald's hamburger during pureed stage. Yikes!

lol seriously? I saw it as a joke but i guess people are that slow

Time2Live and Cindypraying like this

lol seriously? I saw it as a joke but i guess people are that slow

My nurse was kind of testing me when I got up to the floor and asked me if she could get me anything. I said thanks, but not allowed to have anything. She said that was awesome, she'd recently had a guy ask her for french fries. I said he had to be joking. She said "Nope!"  

They are out there.

Sadly, there are MANY people that think this IS the "easy way out"

There seems to be the perception among some that if it doesn't make you sick it will somehow be OK to eat the same things that got you here in the first place.

Great, great, great post!  So much of what we all need to remember condensed down to its essence... bravo!

lilrosie likes this