Cali2AK

Career Change

33 posts in this topic

I think its time for change.I've always wanted to do other things. Healthcare is all I know but I don't think its my calling. I'm making changes in my life so maybe this is the perfect timeto try something new. I've always played it safe because of my insecurities so I stayed in a field I felt confident about even though I'd be happier doing something else.

Has anyone else had the desire to change careers since deciding to or having the surgery?

Rainvenezia likes this

I think its time for change.I've always wanted to do other things. Healthcare is all I know but I don't think its my calling. I'm making changes in my life so maybe this is the perfect timeto try something new. I've always played it safe because of my insecurities so I stayed in a field I felt confident about even though I'd be happier doing something else.

Has anyone else had the desire to change careers since deciding to or having the surgery?

I had a desire to change careers long before surgery.  :cool: I love being an engineer but I think I would love being a farmer more. Unfortunately, farming doesn't pay what engineering does (especially starting new), so I guess I'm an engineer at least until the kids graduate college in... 19 more years...  :(

Cxc422, Aviator and dxm2 like this

in 1997 I had a plan to be semi retired by now. 911 happened and cut my earnings and shot my plan to hell. I was laid off in spring of 2009 and just got back to work late last year.I am making 1984 wages.

IMO if you have a good paying job stick with it.

Stephtay and Cali2AK like this

I can't imagine not being an engineer. I love it so much. I will retire only when they close the lid and nail it shut.

I have not had surgery yet but I have wanted to change careers for a while now.  I just don't know how many years of teaching I have in me.  

AU_Chick and marilyn h like this

I had a desire to change careers long before surgery.  :cool: I love being an engineer but I think I would love being a farmer more. Unfortunately, farming doesn't pay what engineering does (especially starting new), so I guess I'm an engineer at least until the kids graduate college in... 19 more years...  :(

I would love to do something enjoyable but I as well have 4 kids to put through college. I feel like I have a different purpose but I won't leave the security of the my current career in healthcare quality.

in 1997 I had a plan to be semi retired by now. 911 happened and cut my earnings and shot my plan to hell. I was laid off in spring of 2009 and just got back to work late last year.I am making 1984 wages.

IMO if you have a good paying job stick with it.

My husband I both found ourselves unemployed with four kids in 2006 until we relocated to Alaska in 2008. After knowing what it's like to starve and not being able to provide adequately for our children, I would never leave my job until I had something better in line. However, it would be nice to have that feeling of enjoyment once again. I used to love my job but lately it just sucks!

marilyn h likes this

I have not had surgery yet but I have wanted to change careers for a while now.  I just don't know how many years of teaching I have in me.  

I think after losing weight, I may find the confidence to explore other options. But I suppose only time will tell. :)

marilyn h likes this

I can't imagine not being an engineer. I love it so much. I will retire only when they close the lid and nail it shut.

You are very fortunate. One day I would like to be able to say the same thing. 

Aviator likes this

I enjoy my job and I am good at it. Prior to 911 I was paid decent for it. I was by no means rich but my needs are simple and I spent money wisely. I am very happy to be employed after 3.5 years of unemployment. I now have great insurance, with no weekly deduction but the 1984 wage is killing me. I have no house or car payments, but yet now with the two surgeries I am further in debit that I ever was unemployed.

I would never leave a field like medical where it is well paying and not subject to outsourcing, without a rock solid path to follow.

I recently found the perfect career for me; apparently they are a select few people in this world that are employed by very rich collectors to restore tanks. That or owning a successful auto restoration shop would be my dream.

marilyn h likes this

That describes my husband to a T!!!  I told him that I will probably carry him out of his office in a body bag...he will never retire.

I changed from chemist to pharmacist when I was 30 because I felt the calling to healthcare and 911 helped eliminate my job.  I cannot imagine leaving healthcare, specifically pharmacy (hospital based)...it rocks!

Aviator, Wiitch1 and marilyn h like this

I'm always jealous of people who love their jobs like that.  I go year to year.

AU_Chick likes this

I also want to do something different. I have done a lot of different jobs and I really can't think of anything that I really want to do. I have been in food service, I was in customer care, a private duty care giver, a nanny, kept the money room for a large vending service and was shift manager for their food service, and kept up all of the vending machines through out a DuPont plant, secretarial and pay roll too. I also worked for a collection company to recover bad checks for Food Lion. And believe it or not for a weight loss company! LOL It was a high protein diet and expensive. I did not do great at that because I could tell if a person was ready to loose or not and I just did not want them to loose a lot of money that they couldn't recover. Our boss was not the best person either, very greedy. Even cheated me out of over time we had to write down and did not get paid for. He lived in FL and lived on the beach. Go figure! So I have no idea what I want to do. This is really bad. Oh, I forgot I worked in a lab and did blood work for a large hospital. Now I loved that job but had a male chauv. pig for a boss! I stayed there for a year after I was not given a promotion, but the man I trained did! I would not give my boss the benefit of knowing why I left! It did not work out for him the guy I trained either. This subject really sucks for me!!! And as some mentioned it is hard to find jobs right now and u need training and college for most of them! SO what to do????

I understand completely! I worked as a pharmacy tech for 15years. I taught a tech program for a while. I owned a residential care facility (family business I inherited). I wish I had been in a better place in my life at that time because I would still be doing that. I miss it. I also worked in a lab for a short time. Now I work in healthcare quality, specifically, patient safety and accreditation. I enjoy what I do most days. I just feel like where I am now is not where I'm supposed to be. Until the right thing comes along I'll keep doing what I'm doing. :-)

You are very fortunate. One day I would like to be able to say the same thing. 

Here was my secret:

In the third grade, I knew I wanted to be a scientist or a pilot.  I told everyone that as long as I can remember being alive.  Fortunately, I got to be both.

I was raised in a time and by parents who believed that hard work, a good education, self-reliance and confidence enabled the American Dream.

As a young man, I tackled the hardest subjects, made great grades, won a tough scholarship, and ultimately attained a BS in mechanical engineering at a great school.  

My senior business elective project was to form a virtual engineering company, and make a five year business plan.  (It was the foundation of the company I own and operate today.)

As a young engineer, I was an exemplary employee, but with a 'maverick streak'.  After 22 years of working-for-the-man, I founded an engineering company and have now successfully operated it for 13 years.

Every day, I take on new challenges, some are business related, some technical.

What I have learned as being both and employee and an employer is that a person's satisfaction with their job/career moves in time like a sine wave.  It oscillates between a certain level of job satisfaction at times to a point of dissatisfaction that makes you want to quit and do something else.  Its normal to feel both when you are at a job for a long period.  The distance from the warm fuzzy feeling to totally pi$$ed off is the amplitude, and the time from peak to peak is the period.  (Did I mention I'm an engineer?)

The point is this:  As an entrepreneur/business owner, the amplitude is much higher (in both directions) and the period is much shorter.  So the entrepreneur can go from high-fiving elation, to boredom, to stark terror is as little as an afternoon.  :)

tmcgee likes this

Farming is a good way to make a small fortune ......

out of a big one.

It is possible to be both y'know?  Keep the day job, buy a farm and become a "gentleman farmer".  My dad did that.  Lost his butt ever year financially, but didnt care.  He just loved having a farm and living in the country.

The result was that there was no money to send my brothers and me to college.  I managed to go despite that.  One of my brothers has a master's degree.

I mean, I love to fly airplanes.  But no way would I want that to be my job.  Vocation and avocation.

TurnThePage likes this

The point is this:  As an entrepreneur/business owner, the amplitude is much higher (in both directions) and the period is much shorter.  So the entrepreneur can go from high-fiving elation, to boredom, to stark terror is as little as an afternoon.   :)

Amen to that.

You forgot 2 key componets 1 have the best lawyer and 2 have the best accountant. Listen to, then ignore them for the lawyer says you can't do that then the accountant says you cant afford that. :P

TurnThePage and Aviator like this

I feel a change coming,  I have 3 interviews tomorrow.   and I do think it's related to WLS.   Here's my reasoning:   When I came here, i was at a pretty high weight, then i went through all the hoops and appointments, took time off for surgery,  got through that and returned to work as promised, only to lose weight in ultra slow motion,  I think the staff here was A)  hoping I would fail  or  B)  got bored waiting to see if i would fail.  I have lost 42 pounds so far and I am in different clothes, but my mind set is much different, it's hard to describe.

The meaning of success is LOVING WHAT YOU DO,    I love my career, I just don't like the location it has arrived at.    I think working with a fresh start might be good.   They will not have the memory of me fat.  

I don't know, maybe I am just restless with Life in general. 

no point to going back to school,  I think I took it as far as it goes,  time to write a few books maybe. 

Aviator likes this

That's awesome Karen! I'm seriously considering making a few career leaps after surgery. I had dreams of doing other things but I never had the confidence because of my weight. I've been taking classes here and there to finish my BS and I'm almost there but I took a step back and looked around me. I realized I make just as much as or more than some people in my field. My BS isn't all that I to be happy. I need to pursue happiness and do something I enjoy. I'm always prepared for things to not be all rainbows and roses but you never know unless you try.

So to sum it all up...there's a lot of research and planning going on in my house.:-)

In my pre-op research, I noticed that MANY, MANY people made very rash decisions in the first year post-op that drastically affected their lives and often came to regret these decisions later (or I could often tell as a reader that the decisions were based on impulse and emotion and seemed unwise.) I also knew that I may feel unstable for several months after WLS since it is a VERY emotional time of adjustment AND since there are often dramatic hormone changes.

So, when I got my surgery, I made a PROMISE to myself that I would not make any life changing decisions during the first year. And I'm glad I didn't because there were many times I felt incredibly unsettled (that's the best description) that I wanted to divorce my husband, leave my kids, quit my job, and move away at least dozen times... for no REAL reason I could pinpoint. Really, I almost talked myself into moving the family to an underdeveloped country! Thank goodness I was aware of what I was going through (and my husband refused to leave the luxury of SoCal ;). (Then he reminded me I might want to be closer to better healthcare with the new surgery--- a voice of reason... always ruining my plans :P). 

The feeling on being unsettled passed once I quit losing weight so quickly. 

Stephtay and Cali2AK like this

Good thing you didn't do all those crazy things.I love reading your post! You're very knowledgeable.

I'm devloping a 3 year plan for myself. I'm one of those crazy planning people. I have to research and write a formal plan for everything. My husband hates how I grocery shop. Lol. I've heard other people say you have the tendency to make rash decisions after surgery. If I start feeling like leaving my husband and kids, I'm definitely finding you to talk me out of it. ;)

I've already moved my family from sunny SoCal to Alaska. I'm still catching slack from 17 yr old for that. (The rest of us like it here.) I have a small team of people including my psychiatrist to help me with the upcoming changes.

Have you made any major changes since surgery? Positive or negative?

Stephtay likes this

Good thing you didn't do all those crazy things.I love reading your post! You're very knowledgeable.

I'm devloping a 3 year plan for myself. I'm one of those crazy planning people. I have to research and write a formal plan for everything. My husband hates how I grocery shop. Lol. I've heard other people say you have the tendency to make rash decisions after surgery. If I start feeling like leaving my husband and kids, I'm definitely finding you to talk me out of it. ;)

I've already moved my family from sunny SoCal to Alaska. I'm still catching slack from 17 yr old for that. (The rest of us like it here.) I have a small team of people including my psychiatrist to help me with the upcoming changes.

Have you made any major changes since surgery? Positive or negative?

Thanks. I'll have your back when you need it, don't worry;)

I made it through my first 18 months without any major changes but the past year has been full of them! I am so glad I am not dealing with the emotion and hormones associated with WLS, I would really be a mess! Since November, in order:

My oldest son moved out, my hubby retired from the military, I had a hip replacement with complications, we sold our house, I went back to work in Feb, hospitalized with a major health issue in April- and a few times since (currently still out of work), my oldest graduated from college, proposed to his girlfriend, THEN moved 3000 miles away to FL, my hubby is working night shift (he's waaay too old for that!), my teenage niece came to visit for the summer (she was very helpful while I was sick but it certainly could have gone the other way, if ya know what I mean), and we are now seriously discussing a move for the whole family back to FL to be closer to ALL my family... I know there is more but I am getting a bit overwhelmed thinking about it all in one long sentence, LOL.

oh, yeah, the wedding is in 3 weeks in FL... I hope that wasn't a freudian exclusion;)

But, I AM excited about the idea of moving to a place where my neighbors and colleagues NEVER knew the fat me! It would be like a whole different identity. I'm sure I wouldn't stop talking to folks about my life changing surgery, but it will be nice to start relationships with a skinny first impression.

Aviator likes this

Well, I have decided to make some changes.  I am still pre-op.  Hormones are still intact.  :P  I am going back to school to get a degree in molecular biology. I may double major in chemistry.  Yes, I will have to leave my teaching career.  Of course, I was merely surviving.  I'm ready to live!  I really feel it is time to stop being afraid and do what I truly want to do.  Will everything be easy?  No, but I am ready for the challenge. :D   

Well, I have decided to make some changes.  I am still pre-op.  Hormones are still intact.  :P  I am going back to school to get a degree in molecular biology. I may double major in chemistry.  Yes, I will have to leave my teaching career.  Of course, I was merely surviving.  I'm ready to live!  I really feel it is time to stop being afraid and do what I truly want to do.  Will everything be easy?  No, but I am ready for the challenge. :D   

I have a degree in Chemistry and was a chemist for 6 1/2 years before I was laid off and went back to school for pharmacy.  I still use my chemistry degree in pharmacy, so it is quite handy to have.

Planning on not making any changes until I am at least 1 year out.  I took a huge career leap in January and took a director position at a small hospital.  I am pretty content there right now, but you never know!

Thanks. I'll have your back when you need it, don't worry;)

I made it through my first 18 months without any major changes but the past year has been full of them! I am so glad I am not dealing with the emotion and hormones associated with WLS, I would really be a mess! Since November, in order:

My oldest son moved out, my hubby retired from the military, I had a hip replacement with complications, we sold our house, I went back to work in Feb, hospitalized with a major health issue in April- and a few times since (currently still out of work), my oldest graduated from college, proposed to his girlfriend, THEN moved 3000 miles away to FL, my hubby is working night shift (he's waaay too old for that!), my teenage niece came to visit for the summer (she was very helpful while I was sick but it certainly could have gone the other way, if ya know what I mean), and we are now seriously discussing a move for the whole family back to FL to be closer to ALL my family... I know there is more but I am getting a bit overwhelmed thinking about it all in one long sentence, LOL.

oh, yeah, the wedding is in 3 weeks in FL... I hope that wasn't a freudian exclusion;)

But, I AM excited about the idea of moving to a place where my neighbors and colleagues NEVER knew the fat me! It would be like a whole different identity. I'm sure I wouldn't stop talking to folks about my life changing surgery, but it will be nice to start relationships with a skinny first impression.

Wow! Definitely alot of changes. My oldest will be graduating high school this year. Now that I'm post op, my focus will be on getting myself healthy and ready for my next step. I just can't shake this feeling that I have a greater purpose in life. So far, I still love my husband and plan to keep him for a while. I'm only 3 days out so who knows what the future holds. lol j/k