• Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:229
  • Current Weight:212
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):37
  • Surgery Date:08/19/2013
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

week 3 and I was feeling great for a few days but the passed 2 days I'm having horrible back pain, mid section on my right side on my back, and I'm not keeping down vitamins or food.. not every time but often enough to make me miserable. tried a couple of new foods and chewed a whole lot but its still coming up.. I'm taking it slow but I'm feeling so defeated... Not to mention getting pretty emotional at the drop of a hat.. Uggh

#2 Jolls

Jolls

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Surgeon:Bettendorf
  • Hospital:Essentia - St Mary's
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:428
  • Current Weight:194.6
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31.8
  • Surgery Date:2-6-13

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

I can't really offer much advise as I didn't have the same experience but I have seen from a handful of people on here that week 3 was "hell week"....so know that you are not alone and others have gone through it too.  All you can do is keep plodding away and keep trying to get that protein/liquid down and know that eventually it WILL all get better.  Best wishes.

weight.png   event.png

First year goal of 225 met 11.5 months post op. (164lb loss)
One year loss:  168lbs
    ---    ONEderland reached: 4-19-14 (199.8)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-op 428 / Surgery 389 / Now 194 Loss since Surgery: 195 lbs / Total overall: 234 lbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Until now you have trained yourself to think that "empty" means "hungry".  Your mind is telling you to eat. Not your stomach." - Dees

#3 srosey

srosey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationtracy
  • Surgeon:hanh
  • Hospital:fremont kaiser

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Thank you for your encouragement Jolls. It means a lot to know I'm not alone

#4 jilliebeanmn

jilliebeanmn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMN
  • Surgeon:Jon Krook
  • Hospital:HCMC
  • Start Weight:298
  • Current Weight:177
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28
  • Surgery Date:9/17/2013

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hope things improve for you soon!!!  I saw my doctor for my last visit before surgery yesterday and he told me that in his experience "Sleevers" tend to have a rough first month, then fly through the rest.  Bypass patients tend to have more trouble later.  Not sure how true it is, but hopefully that gives you a little hope.  :)

weight.png

298.6/255.8/177/165

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal

#5 Dees

Dees

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Start Weight:314
  • Current Weight:167
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:2/25/13

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Has your gall bladder been removed? That can cause ridiculous pain and it can radiate through the back and midsection. I had mine removed at 17 and the pain was very intense. I passed out from it.

The vomiting and back pain make me think of gall bladder. Something to think about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We still think of a powerful man as a born leader and a powerful woman as an anomaly." - Margaret Atwood

"Food is just NOT worthy of my death. Period."  - HorseCrazyMom, TT

"Look at it as a treat and move on to the next meal."  -- CoolLady2007, MFP 

"Just because you know you can eat more, doesn't mean you need to or should."  - Jolls, TT

weight.png

#6 Harley_Quinn1291

Harley_Quinn1291

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Surgeon:Samuel Rossi
  • Hospital:CAMC
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:343
  • Current Weight:222
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Surgery Date:10/10/2013
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

I had my gallbladder removed in June, and Dees has a good point. If you still have yours, it might be worth looking into. I am not a person that cries when I am in pain and I was bawling in the ER while puking into those pathetic bags they give you when mine started going.

weight.png

#7 Dees

Dees

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Start Weight:314
  • Current Weight:167
  • Surgery Date:2/25/13

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Also, what stage of the diet are you on? Some doctors seem to recommend solid foods really early on the sleeve and while a few do ok with that early introduction, a LOT of sleeves have trouble with heavy foods early out. You shouldn't HAVE to chew your foods at three weeks--your food should be purée...the consistency of a paste.

Your new, tiny belly may be having a hard time with heavier foods so early out.

When you drink a shake are you still vomiting, as long as you're slow and careful? If not, that's another area to look at.

We have a line of staples right down the side of the full stomach. It is not the same as a bypass pouch. Think of trying to stuff half an apple into one of those skinny balloons that a clown uses...that's what is happening to your tummy if you eat foods that aren't broken down enough at this stage. "Chew chew chew" isn't the same as purée. You have a mouthful of crushing tools...not blades. You CANNOT simulate a purée by using teeth only by chewing 30 times. You can't break the organic fibers by smashing them. Have to cut them. The food processor is essential.

Let us know what you find out. Try ratcheting back the diet and see if that works. And def mention the gall bladder to your doctor.

Good luck, babe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We still think of a powerful man as a born leader and a powerful woman as an anomaly." - Margaret Atwood

"Food is just NOT worthy of my death. Period."  - HorseCrazyMom, TT

"Look at it as a treat and move on to the next meal."  -- CoolLady2007, MFP 

"Just because you know you can eat more, doesn't mean you need to or should."  - Jolls, TT

weight.png

#8 Elaine M

Elaine M

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Surgeon:Dr. Emma Patterson
  • Surgery Date:05/13/2103

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

By the way, I am still really emotional even at 4 months out. I cry at the drop of a hat, it seems. I am chalking it up to hormones releasing from my fat and being more present emotionally (not numbing out with food).

SW (2/8/2013): 325 --- DOS (5/13/2013): 299.8 --- CW: 193.6 -- Height: 5'8"

#9 srosey

srosey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationtracy
  • Surgeon:hanh
  • Hospital:fremont kaiser

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

I still have my gallbladder, and protein is staying down just fine.. it sees like clockwork where one day is going well and then the next day I'm miserable..

my doctor approved me to eat soft foods including scrambled eggs, turkey, chicken, fish , cooked soft vegetables but when introducing new foods, just do one at a time to take it slow. Tried halibut tonight but i only was able to have a few tiny bites, and no vomiting...

I did switch to chewable calcium since the horse tranquilizers I tried made me sick instantly. I'm confident this will make pill time a little less dreadful.. my doctor gave me urisodol to prevent gall stones and this is the hardest pill to keep down

#10 KimberlyH

KimberlyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Surgeon:Dr. Krause
  • Hospital:Royal Oak Beaumont
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:278
  • Current Weight:190
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:04/26/2013

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Urisodol was very hard for me to tolerate too! My doctor wanted me to take it twice a day, but I just couldn't do it. I'm taking it once a day now, on an empty stomach and its working well. I think week 3 I was on puréed food, but constantly felt sick. Ask your doctor for something to help with nausea, and try not to eat too many "new" foods at once. My nut said one new food a day.
weight.png

#11 LeavingLardass

LeavingLardass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Mark Eaton
  • Hospital:Rogue Regional Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:240
  • Current Weight:149
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):40
  • Surgery Date:07/31/2013

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

First thing I thought when I read this was, I wonder if she has her gall bladder? I had pain in that same area for a few weeks post op, and I thought my kidney was going to fall out. I went to see my doc, and he said that its most likely my gall bladder radiating pain to my back and flank. I didn't even think about it being my gall bladder. Luckily, my issue subsided on its own, but I'm watching it carefully. If it comes back they will ultrasound it and potentially remove my gall bladder. Oh what fun! :)

#12 Hecate

Hecate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFlowood, MS
  • Surgeon:Adkins
  • Hospital:River Oaks
  • Start Weight:252
  • Current Weight:185
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):40
  • Surgery Date:09/04/2013

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

First thing I thought when I read this was, I wonder if she has her gall bladder? I had pain in that same area for a few weeks post op, and I thought my kidney was going to fall out. I went to see my doc, and he said that its most likely my gall bladder radiating pain to my back and flank. I didn't even think about it being my gall bladder. Luckily, my issue subsided on its own, but I'm watching it carefully. If it comes back they will ultrasound it and potentially remove my gall bladder. Oh what fun! :)

Don't worry. The gall bladder operation will seem like a walk in the park compared to this one. :-)

#13 Little5

Little5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMidland, MI
  • Surgeon:Dr. Bonnaci
  • Hospital:MidMichigan Health
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:254
  • Current Weight:227
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):39
  • Surgery Date:08/21/2013

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

My doctor has me on puréed diet until my 6 week post op. Seems like the soft foods may be too much so soon! I would try to cut back a little until you feel better. I have had a severe pain on my left side and then radiating around to my back. Monday I went back to work and the pain now goes across my entire mid section. Do you think this is gall bladder? I will be so mad. Just take the damn thing out if it is that big of a problem with the sleeve!

#14 Changingmylife

Changingmylife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE
  • Surgeon:Dr. White
  • Hospital:Immanuel
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:355
  • Current Weight:307.8
  • Goal Weight:190
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):53
  • Surgery Date:09/04/2013

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

While I was happy to post my updated weight loss, I can't help but feel for those of you new sleevers like myself. I will be on soft foods as of tomorrow according to my surgeon's office (I called today to find out if I can start eating egg at least, been craving egg and steamed broccoli for some reason???). Nonetheless, I pray that each of you struggling right now will find strength to push through this. I am one week post-op and I have been on an emotional rollercoaster myself. I hope that this possible gallbladder pain skips over me :( My primary care physician had gastric bypass a few years ago and he told me that he had to have his gall bladder removed too :(

As always thanks to you all for your continued support!

weight.png