VRob53

Return to Motorcycle Riding / Vehicle Driving

I have done a forum search but have not seen any topic posts about my question. 

For those that have gone through the surgery, when do you get to get back on the motorcycles and back behind the wheel (assuming normal recovery)

Thanks

I feel like I could drive no problem but we are waiting till the post op appointment.(7 days) I wouldn't want to ride my dirt bike now, but a street bike should be no problem.

Cool that should work out just right then. I plan to attend Bikes Blues and BBQ in Fayetteville AR. The 7 day will be the day before rally starts

I ended up driving to work today (day 6) the wife really wanted to go back to sleep.

Cool so how long have you been back at work. The material I read seemed like a week out. Did you have GB?

I was told I could drive when I was off all pain meds but then a) I live in a very rural area and B) my SUV has 4 wheels.

Personally, I'd recommend asking your surgeon about that first.  I don't know what a motorcycle weighs - I'm guessing 500-600lb.

500-600 pounds is a smallish motorcycle. Like a ZX6R or another half-liter bike. 

My Concours 14 sport touring machine weighs in a 720 or so wet. Fortunately, my surgery date will be at the end of the riding season, so I have 6 months to be ready to ride. 

I have a number of bikes but I figure my 883 sportster will be the easiest to keep up. It is low to ground (hugger model) not my best bike and if I drop it I won't be too upset. I also have a 650 ninja that weighs about 400 lb but it I am short and I have to be on the balls of feet when stopped

The sportster only weighs about 500 lbs.

500-600 pounds is a smallish motorcycle. Like a ZX6R or another half-liter bike.

My Concours 14 sport touring machine weighs in a 720 or so wet. Fortunately, my surgery date will be at the end of the riding season, so I have 6 months to be ready to ride.

Lucky you. As you can see mine will be right at the beginning of the fall riding season. I was hoping for late October but you take it when they give it to you

Edited by VRob53

take the truck and trailer the bike,  

I just recently road a small enduro bike (pre op) and felt comfortable on it.

At my weight I have not felt comfortable on my dirt bike. I have a supermoto street bike I need to sell.

One day I wish to own a BMW GSA1200R it is my dream bike.  Since right now I am crawling out of debit from being unemployed for 3.5 years and I am making my 1984 wages, it seems like a pipe dream.

I hope to be riding my KTM next spring.

Here she is about 200 miles from Eureka Springs, AR (NW corner of Arkansas), at a motel. I was on my way to the Concours Owners Group National Rally. From western Maryland, about 1k miles each way. Obviously her bling includes a handicap plate. She has a lot more bling now.

national201201.jpg

Edited by JRH

I can't wait to get another motorcycle. Hopefully I'll be able to get one for next summer. Also hopefully I'll be at a weight where I don't look ridiculous on a motorcycle.

Ride and enjoy. Get a bike and don't worry about what people you don't know think. And if people u know tease you just laugh and say you are going for a new job as the circus motorcycle riding bear

Nice ride. I wish I was taller. I have always liked the looks of those connies

Karen

I plan to do that. Less riding. If needed I might just take my car and hang out with out a bike. Others do it and it will be nearly as much fun

Cinwa, good advice. I will def listen to surgeon. Don't want to mess this up for sure.

My signature on the club forum is -

She said, "Its either me or Connie!"
I said, "Too bad, I'm going to miss you"

And it is tres true. Anyone who doesn't like my motorcycle is not going to be in my life. Just like when I get Jake Miller to give me a partial body suit tattoo - well lots of tattoos over about 6 months - (after weight loss and plastic surgery, of course) ...... anyone who doesn't like it can please go somewhere else.

My plan is to head out on epic journey on the bike, towing a motorcycle camper trailer, and make my way from Maryland to Michigan to South Dakota (Sturgis), to Texas, to Seaside CA to see an old old military and hunting buddy, to NW part of Nevada to scout out micro ranches for sale, then to Portland Ore to attend Toxic Suicide's show at Sassy's, since I promised her I would. Oh yeah, twist my arm, make me do it.

Motorcycling gets in your blood, like skydiving and scuba diving, and a few other crazy dangerous things.

EDIT: I used to be able to type.........................

Edited by JRH

Amen of hell yeah which ever u prefer

In my case i was back to work and driving my car 7 days after my surgery.

Regarding my bike ( a BMW F800 GS ) my Doc told me to wait at least 4 weeks , to let the incisión heal properly and don't have any problema.

Frankly my recovery from surgery was great in terms of mobility and pain , but the level of energy you have available is a Little lower than usually so better wait a Little more and enjoy and be safe tan risking some accident. IMHO

This is my bike , the beutiful redhead , Alberta !!!

Just got back from Milwaukee and Harley 110 rally. Nice bike but 4 weeks is not what I wanted to hear LOL. I visit the team today and am going to ask them. I am expecting I will be driving the mustang to this rally.

I have done a forum search but have not seen any topic posts about my question. 

For those that have gone through the surgery, when do you get to get back on the motorcycles and back behind the wheel (assuming normal recovery)

Thanks

I was driving in a few days, the doc said to wait a month for the bike, but I asked him again at the two week mark and he admitted I was the first to ask the question. He said, I could ride then if I felt up to it. I didn't feel up to it for six weeks.

I ride a 2010 softail custom  shock horror to most , i was itching to ride the first ride i was 2 weeks post op just went for a short ride 100klms to the beach, i was ok after, then last sunday went on a club ride it was 400klms i made sure i had a good breakfast, and carried gatorade/power ade sugar free. I noticed i was so thirsty so at the stops, made sure i drank plenty of water, the way up i was firing on all cyliders but the way back felt a little tired but i was ok, so i doubt il be able to crack a wheely for a while, but my surgeon gave the all clear to ride, i think its important to get back on the bike asap. I did notice my strength was a little down, so my dr recomened Creatine Monohydrate so i add it into my shake to prevent muscle wasting, gotta get those muscle :)