fflintstone

Frederick Flintstones journey forward

962 posts in this topic

sorry for all the videos, I do not have a mobile device of any kind and in fact I cannot really watch videos on my home computer due to the rural DSL. I have to do all my watching on lunch breaks @ work.

Don't be sorry for the videos. I rather enjoyed them. It just made getting through your thread more of a leisurely stroll than a sprint to the end.

It's interesting to get the time-lapse version of someone's journey instead of accompanying them down their path. You were able to get the surgery very quickly and had to do a lot of your learning after the fact. Sometimes you get down on yourself, but you have made remarkable progress. Always keep the perspective that you've got a life again and you are so much more engaged in it than you were capable of being before. Regardless of where this path leads, don't lose sight of where you've been.

Life is good.

fflintstone likes this

Don't be sorry for the videos. I rather enjoyed them. It just made getting through your thread more of a leisurely stroll than a sprint to the end.

It's interesting to get the time-lapse version of someone's journey instead of accompanying them down their path. You were able to get the surgery very quickly and had to do a lot of your learning after the fact. Sometimes you get down on yourself, but you have made remarkable progress. Always keep the perspective that you've got a life again and you are so much more engaged in it than you were capable of being before. Regardless of where this path leads, don't lose sight of where you've been.

Life is good.

Thanks, yes it is so much better to journey down the path on my own two feet rather than sitting on a mobility scooter.

My son is doing lacrosse this year. We applied for a scholarship due to my low income and we got a full scholarship. Like any non-standard youth group they ask for volunteers. I told the coach I would do what I can but that standing for long periods of time was difficult. Sunday he asked me to help and I got out on the field. It felt good to be asked.

I had high hopes that logged onto the site from a computer instead of mobile device I could motor through the rest of this thread, but alas, one page from the end there are too many videos, and I need to head to bed. That said, this post of yours from a few months ago caught my eye.

If you are still in the mode of researching and understanding the food industry and what it's done to us as a society,I highly recommend the HBO documentary series The Weight of the Nation.  It's free on Amazon Prime, but you may be able to find it elsewhere.  I would go as far as to consider watching that series to be life changing.  It was so enlightening regarding the societal dysfunction contributing to the obesity epidemic in our country and what people are trying to do to address those systemic issues.

The part that really resonated with me personally was various clinical research that supports the idea that once you've been overweight, your body will fight you to get back to that place again.  I'd always been very anti-WLS, believing that if only I could change my behavior I could lose weight long-term.  I've lost every single bit of my excess body weight (160 lbs) on three separate occasions.  After regaining every ounce of it for the third time, I realized that I needed (and wanted) to change, but I that I don't have it in me to do the same thing again and expect a different outcome.  

That experience and realization combined with the seeds that documentary series planted led me to the conclusion that if my biology is fighting me, maybe it's time to change my biology.

I strongly recommend watching it if you can get your hands on it.

so I was able to get the DVD's thru my local library and I have watched 3 of the 4 segments. it comes on 3 discs with the 3rd being several bonus documentaries that  I doubt were aired with the series. I find it interesting that the judge with the gastric bypass who had a string of life threating complications still feels that it is one of the best things he ever did.

I made my kid watch the segment on childhood obesity so I could explain to him why we are making him do Lacrosse and how important it is to be more active. 

I feel like I have failed due to the fact I have gained 20 lbs. since my low, but just yesterday I had one of the guys on the shop floor ask me how I was doing and said I look so much better, breathing good, better color etc. (Jesus I must have looked like crap before)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT9Pn64Xusg

LeeC likes this

the fat guy goes for his first ride in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgbOouxXYXM#t=11

xxxxxxx likes this

It looks like you had a great first ride of the year and by looking at your stat page it is really good for a man your age "97". Lol!

ROFL!  I never noticed that!

It looks like you had a great first ride of the year and by looking at your stat page it is really good for a man your age "97". Lol!

yeah I have been moving it up incrementally. FWIW you can only go to 2 digit's so when I hit 99 I am dead. sometimes I feel 97.

We ended up riding for a little over 45 minutes that day.

FWIW, I am having huge motivational / depression issues and haven't gone riding since.

My son is having reactions to medications that is also causing emotional problems and it doesn't help. that was a good day.

Despite our previous warm up we have awoken to snow on the ground 3 of 5 days this month. we ran out of propane on Tuesday and our supplier cant/wont give us any so Easter was spent in a cold house with no way to cook a nice meal.

2 years post op today. Initial high weight 376, todays weight 276, lowest weight 6 months post op 251.

My original goal was 235. Then I had set a goal of 209 so that I would no longer be obese. I didn’t reach my first goal let alone the second.

While I had lost 1/3rd of my body weight I wasn’t able to keep it off. I needed to lose ½ my body weight to be normal.
While my success are many, I consider my progress a failure. While I truly do believe my surgeon made my sleeve too large, the ultimate responsibility for what goes in my mouth lies with me.

While I no longer need huge portions of food to be satisfied I did not fundamentally change my relationship with food. I still love to eat GOOD food and I eat too much of it.

My BFF is now going to get surgery, he asked me if I would do it all again and the answer is of course yes. I no longer use a mobility scooter, I take far less insulin. Slightly less other med also. The surgery made the doctors finally say “hey you have a heart condition” so now at least that is monitored. I wish doctors would stop practicing medicine and do the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlC9yN9yoJU

Change can only come from with in -  and trust me I need to heed my own advise most of all!  I think it is important to recognize and own it -  which it sounds like you have.... as hopfully it will stop you from getting too out of control.

Perhaps you would like to join me on my re-dedication journey next month!  http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/107061-rededication-time-come-join-me/

How is your wife doing?  Do you find inspiration from one another or is more a 'partner in crime' sort of thing?

Raeme and fflintstone like this

I just read your journey in one sitting. I am thankful for people that open their hearts and share their journey with others. It is inspiring raw and honest.

fflintstone and Raeme like this

Fred, so good to see you post. You certainly have not failed- you've kept off 100 pounds! You've become much more active with and for your son. We all know the surgery is just a tool, but the mind gaames can be so tough. Hang in there!

fflintstone likes this

If anyone has enjoyed my journey or I have inspired anyone, great.

I haven't been on in forever, I do feel I have failed.

I am staying around 285 and have been there for 2 years now.

I was laid off for a while and now have a new job that is not great, BUT it does come with gym membership I can use at lunch time.

3 weeks of M, W, F workouts have not budges the scale "YET"

for "Aviator" if you are still around the rest is my facebook post from last month.

In 1964 my dad bought a brand new corvette convertible 327CID 365 HP and a 4 speed manual gear box. I was 3 years old.

Today April 16 2016, my son is 10 the corvette is 17 years old and nowhere near new, but it is a convertible, 6 speed and it has a 345HP LS1 engine.

I am a very happy man today.

width=744 height=800http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/1creekbear/corvette.jpg[/img]