fflintstone

Frederick Flintstones journey forward

We just came back from a church ice cream social; I didn’t have any wild cravings or desires. When we got home I decided to walk up the drive (about 800 feet) I stopped at about 300 and bent over to stretch my spine and take off my shirt. It is 88 here and that can be miserable heat for me. Then I rested for about a minute in the shade at the 600’ mark. They the final push up the hill at what we call the fairy forest. Other than a walk thru a military vehicle show pre surgery, this is the furthest I have walked in a while. I think I will have my wife drop me at the road when I come home from work tomorrow.

Now let me get this straight. You live in rural Michigam, near zombie Amish who need welding?

And a fairy forest? Cool. I think I need to move! LOL

For my homesteading friends; here is our pathetic garden.

77ti.jpg

50v2.jpg

Edited by fflintstone

aah the woods look lovely. Your raised bed garden is better than mine. Mine is pretty much some tomatoes, 1 eggplant, and a stalk of broccoli. Oh, and jalapenos that no one will eat.

I'd love to have those containers. Where did you find them and how much are they?

I'd love to have those containers. Where did you find them and how much are they?

I work for a company that makes plastic pallets and trays for shipping. Most of what you see are liners for the bins that are the last two in the row. They start out as a .250 thick sheet of plastic (¼”) I have to pay for the cost of the plastic. In this case I was charged $30 each for them.  I asked for a dozen 9more than I wanted to pay for but less than I wanted. They gave me 2 of the pallet bins (far end) and 11 liners so I got a baker’s dozen for my $360.

I didn’t get them till June and had to drill some drainage holes and put a layer of wood chips in and then topsoil.

I put them on pallets for better drainage and to be able to move them if I ever get/make forks for my tractor.

Day 5

I am at work with a #1 pain level.

I had my first bought of nausea this morning. I took my pills too quickly I ASSuME.

Having nasty dry heaves in the morning is not unusual for me though.

Getting used to sipping all day long is hard.

I work for a company that makes plastic pallets and trays for shipping. Most of what you see are liners for the bins that are the last two in the row. They start out as a .250 thick sheet of plastic (¼”) I have to pay for the cost of the plastic. In this case I was charged $30 each for them.  I asked for a dozen 9more than I wanted to pay for but less than I wanted. They gave me 2 of the pallet bins (far end) and 11 liners so I got a baker’s dozen for my $360.

I didn’t get them till June and had to drill some drainage holes and put a layer of wood chips in and then topsoil.

I put them on pallets for better drainage and to be able to move them if I ever get/make forks for my tractor.

Darn. I was hoping you'd identify a cheap solution for me! LOL. I spent about $400 in lumber to make 13 raised beds 4'x8' in size and I still have enough lumber to make 4 or 5 more.

Darn. I was hoping you'd identify a cheap solution for me! LOL. I spent about $400 in lumber to make 13 raised beds 4'x8' in size and I still have enough lumber to make 4 or 5 more.

Sorry not cheap, but permanent (wood rots), not very labor intensive and at the time I did it I had NO HOPE of getting better.

For those who are interested...

I picked up 63 packets of Burpee vegetable seeds today at Walgreens for $0.29 each.
Yesterday I picked up at least a couple hundred American Seed vegetable packets between 3 Dollar Generals at $0.03 - $0.05 per packet. They also have a ton of flower seed at about the same price. A lot of their seed and seed starting supplies are marked 90% down. I also picked a bunch of biodegradable pots for pennies on the dollar.

I realize the germination rates may not be as high next year and I surely don't need 300+ seed packets, but they might come in handy for trading next season.

Day 6

Last night was not good, I could not fall asleep. Finally took a melatonin @12:45.

I awoke @2:45 to a massive cramp in my calve muscle. I am obviously dehydrated so am going to try to push fluids today. I ended up driving to work today the wife really wanted to go back to sleep,

I don’t really understand but stomach hurts if it’s empty, or right when I eat something. There is a fine line when it stops hurting, and then I need to get my fluids down again. I was masking the pain yesterday with pain meds. I am going to try to tough it out without them.

I took the morning pills slower and didn’t get dry heaves, but my stomach has been upset all morning. I walked into the plant 3 times yesterday, and up the driveway. The driveway is not an option today.

Fred, try Tylenol Cold liquid. You should not be putting anything bigger than a tic-tac in your sleeve. The hard pills may be causing the pain.

Or crush then and put em in liquid.

Are you taking protonics?

Fred, try Tylenol Cold liquid. You should not be putting anything bigger than a tic-tac in your sleeve. The hard pills may be causing the pain.

Or crush then and put em in liquid.

wont that taste like @*#?

Are you taking protonics?

what are protonics?

I take a multi vitamin chewable with no problems.

my metformin and one other med causes the most problem, I cut them both in half.

Protonics is a Rx drug to block acid production in the stomach. I was told we need this while our tummy is healing. You may want to ask your doctor. I thought this was a pretty standard protocol after WLS.

Well the Tylenol Cold tastes like crappy medicine syrup. The crushed pill tastes bad, but its only for a couple of seconds. Beats pain for an hour or more. So yes on both counts. But your a big boy... ;)

I agree with Redfishgirl. Antacid is crucial. Bones had me taking crushed Pepcid AC, also in water. That tastes fine. Chase the crushed pill with the crushed Pepcid.

Edited by Aviator

we were given a prescription for Prilosec, we started about two weeks pre op.

Day 7

WOW what a day. I should NOT have driven my car to work yesterday.  I had done “something” to my left knee prior to surgery. I didn’t want to postpone the surgery. In the hospital I was off it and doped up. I didn’t walk much till Sunday, and Monday. Pushing the clutch did “something” to my knee and boy was I in pain.

Went to the 7 day post op and the nurse took out my JP tube.  My stomach pains are somewhat sorted out and I am having less difficulty drinking.

Tonight is our first “local” support group and I am looking forward to it. If the clinic is open afterwards I will get an X-ray on my knee.

Sorry about your knee hope you get it figured out.. Have a great time at the group talk to lots of people

Takes a couple weeks before that weird pain goes away in the belly entirely.  I think I know what you're feeling.  The pressure helps a little, until it's TOO MUCH pressure, and then it hurts. 

You just had 85% of your stomach removed... give it a few days. It should feel better by the end of week 2.

by the by, this is precisely why I get upset when I see people talking about eating anything other than liquids in those first couple of weeks... I can't even imagine trying it.

Day 8

I thought the clear liquids were only one week post op, unfortunately no. my wife and I have compromised on “thin soup” I seem to do ok sucking down a 40G shake for the morning, thin soup for lunch and broth & Jell-O for dinner.

No X-ray on the knee, the doc at the clinic was able to tell me what was wrong without it. Given the no anti-inflammatories my only recourse is more liquid vicoden and ice. He said to ice for 3 days and then try some heat.

It was great to be fully mobile in the shower, although I miss my wife scrubbing me. I still have adhesive residue from all the tape. I have threatened to go out to the shop and use lacquer thinner but I am not that desperate yet. Margot tried rubbing alcohol and baby oil with minimal success.

Adhesive removal: what worked for me was PanOxyl. It's a great disinfectant foaming soap that has peroxide in it. Perfect for cleaning your incisions and will also remove the adhesive. Lightly scrub for 2 mins. It did take two days for everything to come off.

Available at most pharmacies

While the baby oil doesn't make it come off, it does serve as a lubricant to make scraping it off with your nail painless. 

Don't use Goof-Off or Oops! Not that I'm speaking from experience.

I need to take a picture of one of my incisions and send to the surgeon. It looks to me like the skin is healed, but on one end of the incision it looks like it's partially open.

Day 9

Nothing much profound. My knee still hurts too much but is a little better.

I went to re shake up my protein shake and forgot I had taken a drink so I got chocolate/PB2 shake all over my computer, desk, shirt ETC.