fflintstone

Frederick Flintstones journey forward

962 posts in this topic

Fred - maybe this surgery has been more of a blessing than you realise.  Without it - would they have found a potential problem with your heart?

Yes, this had crossed my mind!

Aviator likes this

I am home!

I am tired!

I am wearing a 24 hr heart recorder thingy.

The pacemaker is not off the table yet but I was so happy while waiting for my prescriptions at walmart I pulled up to the urinal and had a wonderful pee! Yeah!

I will post more latter, I need some rest.

THANKS for the well wishes everybody!

Doing a happy dance for you!!! :-)

I have bradycardia. My heart rate is low, averaging 44 BPM

It is not in what is called a normal sinus rhythm, IE 60-100.

They may want me to get a pace maker.

It is good they found it now. My dad had same thing but never had a pacemaker - just a whole slew of pills. He also had other heart issues.

Welcome home Fred. And welcome to your new life. Tell us about it. :)

Ok, first night at home.

All I can say is it is so great to pee!

I had pee difficulties before surgery.

This I find appalling, I made an appointment with an urologist, before I went to my WLS seminar; it is for in October. I went to the seminar and 32 days later I had my surgery. I did ask them to fast track it which they did. I am not saying this is good or bad but they seem pretty gun ho on getting the surgery done. They seemed to overlook my bradycardia, hell everyone seemed to overlook it.

Back to my sleep. I sleep like the proverbial log but woke up every 3 hours like clockwork to pee and drain the JP. The fluid is still pink but getting thinner. Took pain meds (liquid) and felt like my stomach was empty. I had a 4 oz shake and now I am drinking some Progresso Tuscan chicken broth, while taking all my pills. Small pills are no problem, two at a time. I cut my metformin in half but they are still hard to swallow. I am looking forward to noon when I can take of the heart monitor and maybe do something.

I still have to learn to take sips and not mouthfuls.

Praying for a fellow engineer (and based on your pictures - maybe a fellow homesteader???) Looks like you live in a rural area like me). I know you'll be up and biking with your kid in no time time.

We do live in a rural area. The intent was to homestead to the extent it was feasible. And we are not there yet. I did build my house myself. But we have yet to have a successful garden and raising any eggs/chickens other animals is a fair ways off. I was however laid off for 3.5 years and living frugally allowed us to live a better lifestyle than most.

PS your prayers, and any others are most welcome.

sleuth likes this

Sip, sip, sip.  No chest pain while drinking is a good thing.  :)

Did they say that was the at rest rate on the monitor, sleeping rate, or the mean average... ?  Am a statistics junkie. 

Sip, sip, sip.  No chest pain while drinking is a good thing.  :)

Did they say that was the at rest rate on the monitor, sleeping rate, or the mean average... ?  Am a statistics junkie. 

They took my vitals a lot and it was 42-46. Apparently it did drop to 38 in my sleep once. The 44 figure I am giving you was my observation.

Prior to my knee injury when I still was active, I occasionally used a heart monitor when riding, and whenever I wore it to bed 50-52 was not an uncommon resting heart rate. That was a while ago and a world of conditioning difference though.

I am having difficulty consistently reaching the 1500 mark on the spyrometer (?) that they have me use.

Oh although I have been taking the anti nausea meds if I feel discomfort I have yet to Ralph anything up yet J

No problems with the puritans pride chewables. So far nothing has disagreed with me

that was quick! I just got the shipping notice email last night on our Torani syrup, and it was just delivered!

WOOHOO great shakes from now on!

and they use the water soluble peanuts, fun to watch them shrink. 

We do live in a rural area. The intent was to homestead to the extent it was feasible. And we are not there yet. I did build my house myself. But we have yet to have a successful garden and raising any eggs/chickens other animals is a fair ways off. I was however laid off for 3.5 years and living frugally allowed us to live a better lifestyle than most.

PS your prayers, and any others are most welcome.

My wife and I bought a 20 acre mini-farm about 18 months ago. We had a hugely successful garden in our first real attempt this year using raised garden beds. We put over 100 lb. of veggies in the freezer plus another 9 dozen sweet corn. Of course, I haven't been able to enjoy any of the harvest though because of the timing of my surgery. 

We also have 4 chickens, 2 of which started laying a couple weeks ago. This weekend I am buying half a hog from a local farmer. Then I plan on buying a portion of a cow. Since the kids don't eat much (yet) and the wife doesn't eat meat, I figured that will be at least enough meat (and veggies) for a year's worth of food. We plan to raise our own livestock down the line but we have no fencing around our little farm. What I am most interested in is energy independence, but with 3 young kids and trying to save for college and retirement at the same time, that may be a pipe dream.

Definitely continuing prayers for you. I'm thankful I didn't have any heart issues - what a complicating factor that's quite a bummer! I know once they figure it out though that you'll feel great.

fflintstone likes this

I like the idea of energy independence but it is just not feasible in our situation. We don’t have enough wind for power, and solar could be disappointing due to the amount of white trash with guns around here. A large window in my barn was shot out “just for fun”. Guns don’t shoot solar panels stupid people shoot solar panels.

My hobbies are energy intensive as well I love both welding and auto restoration.

As far as heating I would love to have a masonry heater or outdoor wood boiler. The house is tight and has decent insulation and we go thru about 700 gallons of propane a year.

I started a plan for independence back in 1997; I bought the property in 1998, and started the house in 1999. I had a plan to be semi retired and homesteading by now but the economic impact of 911 and the 2008 election, I had been unemployed from June of 2009 till October of 2012. I am now back to work but making 1984 wages. The only plus is I now have outstanding healthcare coverage that allowed my surgery.

My wife and I bought a 20 acre mini-farm about 18 months ago. We had a hugely successful garden in our first real attempt this year using raised garden beds. We put over 100 lb. of veggies in the freezer plus another 9 dozen sweet corn. Of course, I haven't been able to enjoy any of the harvest though because of the timing of my surgery. 

We also have 4 chickens, 2 of which started laying a couple weeks ago. This weekend I am buying half a hog from a local farmer. Then I plan on buying a portion of a cow. Since the kids don't eat much (yet) and the wife doesn't eat meat, I figured that will be at least enough meat (and veggies) for a year's worth of food. We plan to raise our own livestock down the line but we have no fencing around our little farm. What I am most interested in is energy independence, but with 3 young kids and trying to save for college and retirement at the same time, that may be a pipe dream.

Definitely continuing prayers for you. I'm thankful I didn't have any heart issues - what a complicating factor that's quite a bummer! I know once they figure it out though that you'll feel great.

We live in a rural area too, but I only have 2 1/2 acres.  My husband and I built most of our house ourselves between 1998 and 2000.  We have pretty large gardens from time to time, but the drought from last year killed the garden and this year we had very little time.  

My husband is getting some solar panels and will be setting those up within the next year.  We hope to be almost completely off the grid within a couple of years.  That will be fantastic!

Glad to hear that your first night home was good!  Enjoy the Torani syrup!  I just ordered some late last night, so mine should be showing up soon!

fflintstone likes this

Sleuth: you seriously need to learn how to can! So much better than freezing everything! I would be scared of a power outage! I too have chickens. I have twelve hens and a rooster. I highly recommend you get a rooster to protect your ladies if they free range. I live in a rural area and have never lost a chicken to a predator.

FFlintstone: hope your day at home has been great. We hope to retire in a half dozen years and plan to move even more rural. We would like 20-50 acres. I seriously will consider solar panels at that time. Right now we are considering Virginia, we love where we live now but our property taxes are $9,000 a year in New Jersey! Horrible, and we get nothing for it, no trash pick-up, no police locally, a volunteer fire department and if you need an ambulance you best hope you have more than 45 minutes to live! Keep us posted!

fflintstone and Chay like this

Sleuth: you seriously need to learn how to can! So much better than freezing everything! I would be scared of a power outage! I too have chickens. I have twelve hens and a rooster. I highly recommend you get a rooster to protect your ladies if they free range. I live in a rural area and have never lost a chicken to a predator.

FFlintstone: hope your day at home has been great. We hope to retire in a half dozen years and plan to move even more rural. We would like 20-50 acres. I seriously will consider solar panels at that time. Right now we are considering Virginia, we love where we live now but our property taxes are $9,000 a year in New Jersey! Horrible, and we get nothing for it, no trash pick-up, no police locally, a volunteer fire department and if you need an ambulance you best hope you have more than 45 minutes to live! Keep us posted!

We are on 36 mostly wooded acres, our taxes are relatively low. (By comparison) Around 2k.

The wife talks about chickens but we can’t even get a garden in on time. I do have some great containers for raised beds. I didn’t get any Brussels sprouts last year and it looks like it will be bust this year. Our tomatoes are still small and green.

I bought tomatoes from a roadside garden by my work just to have one before surgery.

We do have trash pickup but we have county sheriffs we are in the bottom corner of the county and most often they are ½ hour or more away. The upside to that is I drive real fast and don’t get tickets.

As far a fire departments go we have actually recently had two fires about a year apart, each time losing an outbuilding and personal property.

Unless you put out a fire yourself when it starts, Fire departments can only contain it from spreading to other buildings. That goes for the city as well.

The best bet is to have a good insurance policy, and honestly the nice people that take your money are not the evil vultures that write the check when you make a claim.

These two fires were part of my depression and weight gain.

Oh my gosh, sorry about the fires! We have a whopping 2 1/2 acres for our tax bill. The house is around 3000 sf., so not crazy big for having had seven kids. Chickens are amazingly easy. Much less work than a garden. I get 9 to 11 eggs a day and give most of them away. In our area we have a large population of senior citizens living on fixed incomes, they so appreciate the eggs and tomatoes I have been giving them. We started with six hens four years ago, and a single rooster. Some of my girls have wanted to be mothers and I have let them. I keep just females and give extra girls and all roosters away by listing them on Craig's List, free chicken or rooster for pet or frying pan! I now have enough chicken farmer friends I don't have to list them. Probably the biggest downside is occasionally having to put one down for various reasons, I have done this myself with an axe twice. Farming animals is different then having pets. I do get very attached to them. I kept the garden simple this year, tomatoes, zucchini, and cucumbers and with the ample rain we had I only watered about ten times. I don't want to mention "homesteading" to my husband, he is just shy of being a "prepper", and I wish I was talking shirts with alligator logos and loafers! Two of our sons were volunteer firemen for our local fire company. We know if something happens we are screwed, so we do have good insurance. We take our trash to the local dump each week, we recycle like crazy. Good chatting with you! Jen

fflintstone likes this

I hate the word "prepper" but I might be considered one. We packed up 5 crates of food that can’t be eaten by the wife or me till next year. Eating less food for the rest of my life is part of it actually. The downside is where do you get “whey protein” after a zombie apocalypse?

I live semi near Amish and hope to one day work out a “welding for food” deal with the community.

About the pacemaker.

I found out today on facebook a younger cousin of mine (they are all younger, I was the first grandkid on both sides) has had a pacemaker for 5 years.

Oh my gosh, sorry about the fires! We have a whopping 2 1/2 acres for our tax bill. The house is around 3000 sf., so not crazy big for having had seven kids. Chickens are amazingly easy. Much less work than a garden. I get 9 to 11 eggs a day and give most of them away. In our area we have a large population of senior citizens living on fixed incomes, they so appreciate the eggs and tomatoes I have been giving them. We started with six hens four years ago, and a single rooster. Some of my girls have wanted to be mothers and I have let them. I keep just females and give extra girls and all roosters away by listing them on Craig's List, free chicken or rooster for pet or frying pan! I now have enough chicken farmer friends I don't have to list them. Probably the biggest downside is occasionally having to put one down for various reasons, I have done this myself with an axe twice. Farming animals is different then having pets. I do get very attached to them. I kept the garden simple this year, tomatoes, zucchini, and cucumbers and with the ample rain we had I only watered about ten times. I don't want to mention "homesteading" to my husband, he is just shy of being a "prepper", and I wish I was talking shirts with alligator logos and loafers! Two of our sons were volunteer firemen for our local fire company. We know if something happens we are screwed, so we do have good insurance. We take our trash to the local dump each week, we recycle like crazy. Good chatting with you! Jen

Our chickens are not yet free range. We only have 4. Next year we'll be expanding the flock to 15-20 and at that point we'll consider free ranging. We have dogs and a barn cat so we were concerned they might kill our chickens. We also plan to free range guineas to reduce the # of ticks and because they will give warning to the chickens if there is a predator in the vicinity. Eventually we want a Great Pyrenees and/or will get a donkey or something to act as a guardian.

We wanted to learn to can this year but ran out of time. There was a lady from church who was going to teach us this year but she became terminally ill. We're considering buying a small generator to back up the freezers just in case.

fflintstone and Chay like this

Day 4.

I got up at 8ish to use the bathroom, finally went # 2! I laid in bed till 9:00 but no joy trying to fall back asleep. My wife wants to sleep till noon if she can so my son and I are down stairs. My little boy is really taking care of me. He got some room temp water for me, poured and microwaved the Tuscan chicken broth. Now I start the morning pill regime. I hate the gurgling in my stomach. I’m going to try a chocolate S’mores shake for breakfast after the broth is down.

My fasting BS was 154 with just the metformin. I didn’t take any insulin yesterday. Yesterdays sugars were in the 170s at the hospital they were running 190-250 and they were only giving me 1-3 units of insulin.

Aviator and rxmom2007 like this

...... The downside is where do you get “whey protein” after a zombie apocalypse?

I live semi near Amish and hope to one day work out a “welding for food” deal with the community......

Now let me get this straight. You live in rural Michigam, near zombie Amish who need welding?

Max2205, klm43, Natybug98 and 3 others like this

Now let me get this straight. You live in rural Michigam, near zombie Amish who need welding?

LOL

em, NO.

Chay and Aviator like this

Asparagus pee, medicine pee, and now medicine poo! Argh!

I am one of those people that have that awful pee smell after eating asparagus. My last meal before surgery was a small steak, a mound of asparagus, and a tomato. When I peed in the morning it was awful.  On the few times I peed at the hospital and since then it has had an awful chemical smell from all the drugs.

Hey I am happy to be peeing after all the catheters.

This morning I finally evacuated all the stuff before the surgery, all quite normal then around noon I had a liquid blast and it had an awful chemical smell to it.

I took a shower today for the first time and the chemical smell is in my skin.

I am cutting back on pain meds. And hopefully this will go away.

nellie67 likes this

Oh, the smell of asparagus!  Maybe why that's why I don't like asparagus?  

Sounds like things are getting a little better with time.  It took 8 days for me to have a BM and that was with Colace and MOM.  I am jealous!  ;)

Take it easy, my friend!

fflintstone likes this