fflintstone

Frederick Flintstones journey forward

962 posts in this topic

My surgery is Wednesday August 21st.

I will try to give the reader’s digest version of what has driven me to get bariatric surgery.

Like many here I have been heavy my entire adult life. I hit 200 lbs a year after high school and kept going. I was always very active and in decent health for a fat guy. In 1993 my first wife and I were really heavy; I was at an all time high of 305. We gave up certain foods and walked an hour a day. I lost 75 lb’s and felt great. She didn’t do so well. I was an avid mountain biker and even raced mountain bikes. I would always place at the 85th percentile, but I was always beating 15 % of the people much smaller than me. This was before they actually developed classes for heavy riders (Clydesdale class) I was 230 and healthy, muscular (still big) and felt good about myself. I had started doing Yoga in my late 20s as well and while I never developed the discipline to do it on my own I love going every week.

My marriage was on rocky ground before the weight loss, and with women attracted to me after the weight loss it just spiraled downward. We broke up in 1994 and found a girlfriend instantly. While being happy I packed on 20lbs pretty quickly.  I still mountain biked a lot, still did Yoga when I could take the classes. I went thru a dry spell with women and did a lot of personal growth stuff. I read a few books that changed my life. My weigh fluctuated between 240 and 270 in 1997 I met my current love and I was about 255lbs. we met at a meditation circle. She was close to the same weight and we started out as walking buddies. I was in an unfulfilling relationship at the time and wasn’t really looking for one, but our friendship grew and well we have been together ever since.

In 1999 I bought acreage for a second home. I built the home myself, not a general contractor but I bought the wood, nailed it together, plumbed, wired etc. The only thing I didn’t do was nail the shingles down. I worked 11 hours a day Monday thru Friday and then drove to the property and worked 12-16 hours on Saturday and 8-10 on Sunday. Did that for two years and got the house 70% done.  Was burned out! It has taken the remaining 11 years to get the home to the 90% state it is in now. All this time I still shredded my mountain bike once a week, and did Yoga. Weight bounced between 270 and 300!!! (Credit due to the wife, she was immensely helpful)

In March of 2006 I became a first time father at age 44! No more weekly mountain bike shredding. It went to 3 times a month trip down the rail trail with kid in tow. No more winter rides. We still tried to walk a lot and used a jogging stroller. In fall of 2007 I tripped and severed the tendon in the main muscle of my right quadricep. I had surgery to re attach the tendon. After several weeks my beautifully sculpted muscular leg had atrophied to a spindly little chicken leg. I was very disheartened when the surgeon told me I would only get back 85% in that leg. I sort of gave up.

In late spring of 2009 I lost my engineering job right at the height of the auto bailout. There was a wholesale exodus of jobs from Michigan. If you don’t live in Michigan you will never understand but it was BAD!!! (It still is not good) I ended up having to short sell my main home and move north to the cabin. I lost health insurance and my diabetes went out of control. We had some more setbacks and I became more depressed. It was obvious I was not going to find a job in my field. From fall of 2011 till now my weight ballooned from 320 to the current 375ish. I developed COPD and cannot breathe well. In the past year I have gotten to the point where I can’t walk more than 100 yards without getting out of breath and developing severe pain in my back. I am sick of going to flea markets, car and tractor shows and such and hobbling around like a cripple. I am tired of going out in public and having 75 year old men handing me water and asking me to sit down. It’s somewhat humiliating. It is totally emasculating to not be able to take my 7 year old son on hikes in the woods, or bike rides.

I was someone that never would have considered gastric bypass (and still wouldn’t) but the success of the sleeve technique intrigued me. Throughout all the crap that has happened in my life in the last 5 years I am a firm believer in “things happen for a reason” I got a job in sort of my field last fall. While I am making 1984 wages, I have outstanding health care coverage with no weekly deduction.

I want my old life back. I went to a bariatric seminar on July 18th and now I am having surgery 33 days later. I asked them to fast track me and it has happened. With my wife and I having BMI around 54 and my co morbidity issues, we didn’t have to jump thru hoops to get approval. For the first time in 5 years I have HOPE. My wife says I really seem happier since the seminar.

I am looking forward to my surgery and hoping it is successful. I am committed to make it successful. If I lose the “average” 60% I will only be a few pounds above when I was most happy with my body (albeit probably not the same muscle mass and youthful vigor)  seeing all the success stories here, I even have hope I may see a 1! I have learned a lot in the 10 or so days I have been here.

I invite all to share the journey forward with me. Please feel free to post anything of encouragement or PM me if you don’t wish to share with the world.

Maybe in a year or so I can be encouragement to someone else. It would be good to come full circle.

Hi, I am almost 51, and can't imagine having a 7 year old! I have been doing the slow tedious hoop jumping and hope to have surgery by October. I, too, was intrigued by the sleeve. Years ago I dated a guy whose ex-wife had the bypass when they were married and she had dumping episodes all the time as well as some unpleasant gassiness! Kind of kept me from being interested in WLS. Is your wife interested or planning on having WLS? I talked to my surgeon about how much I can expect to lose and he threw that 60% statistic out the window. He said I can lose it all if I follow the rules for eating and get regular exercise. I am going to give it my all! I look forward to following your journey and hopefully I am not too far behind! Jen

My wife is scheduled 3 weeks later on September 11th. Although she is a member here she wastes most of her internet time on facebook.

I am saddened by the hoops people have to jump thru to get this done.  I plan on throwing the 60% out but I am thinking of 60% as a “failure” what a great failure.

I just want to go hiking and biking with my kid.

Hi, I am almost 51, and can't imagine having a 7 year old! I have been doing the slow tedious hoop jumping and hope to have surgery by October. I, too, was intrigued by the sleeve. Years ago I dated a guy whose ex-wife had the bypass when they were married and she had dumping episodes all the time as well as some unpleasant gassiness! Kind of kept me from being interested in WLS. Is your wife interested or planning on having WLS? I talked to my surgeon about how much I can expect to lose and he threw that 60% statistic out the window. He said I can lose it all if I follow the rules for eating and get regular exercise. I am going to give it my all! I look forward to following your journey and hopefully I am not too far behind! Jen

Aviator, Njjenny62, Chay and 1 other like this

My husband is 66 with twin 12 year old boys!  He knows all about being a father at an older age.  Anyway, I was one of those had 6 months of hoops to jump through, but it did help me out a lot just because I needed that structure.  My surgery was 3 1/2 months ago with the sleeve and it has been the best thing that happened to me.  I have already lost over 70 lbs since surgery and it is so liberating to have that weight off.  I have a long way to go, but this tool has given me my life back.  

Good luck to you and your wife!  I will be cheering you on from Iowa!!!

Edited by rxmom2007
Chay, Aviator, Peepkalafoo and 2 others like this

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I hope all goes well for you and that you are able to regain that active life. I started walking before the surgery -- just a daily slow short walk with the dogs. I wasn't sure if I would be cleared to backpack this summer, but my doc's office thought it was a great idea. Yesterday, my partner and I went on a 6 mile dayhike!

This surgery has been a godsend for me -- I am guessing it will do wonders for you as well.

Aviator, Chay, Muffintop and 1 other like this

So I am at the day before I am at work and haven’t gotten much done yet. I am typing this instead of doing what I should. I am having major surgery to correct what is basically at its root a lack of self-control. In one way it is an act of failure. I have failed to control my lust for food.

While this may be true, I may have failed. The reality is if I don’t lose weight, I will die premature like my father. I have a 7 year old son and wife who depend on my. I want to see my son become a man. I have been praying the last year to live long enough to see that happen. Now I have HOPE. I want to be a part of my sons life as he becomes a man, I want to walk with him, rather than have him push me around in a wheelchair.

Today will be a heavy day, nothing to do with food thought.

Peepkalafoo and Chay like this

Good luck tomorrow! Sending positive vibes your way! You will do great.

Chay and akalidia6321 like this

Best wishes to you for a smooth surgery and recovery! This is such an exciting time for you (and your wife in a few short weeks). I totally relate to wanting to make the change to be around for your child and to be able to do things with them. My sweet 2 year old was 90% of my motivation to have surgery and I'm SO glad I did. Even though it's hard for a few weeks afterwards, it gets much better!

Chay likes this

The wife says we have to be there at 7:00 AM so I am all set. crap, Just like getting up for work.

Aviator likes this

Good luck tomorrow!  I got virtually nothing done at work the day before my surgery as well.  It's par for the course.  My husband and kids were my biggest motivator as well.  I want to...more like need to be there for them!

So today on my facebook page I announced “major surgery” not the type though.

Anybody that matters knows. But to keep em guessing I posted this:

2fd5.jpg

Edited by fflintstone
LuxyBlue, rxmom2007 and Aviator like this

Too funny!

I'll be holding you in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow - have a safe trip to the losers bench.

So this is our before pictures.

0k6a.jpg

kvjm.jpg

Chay likes this

It's good to put a face to a name.

Pre-op pictures can be difficult for some but they will be invaluable during your WLS journey.

"How to Take Before And After Photos for Weight Loss" shows how to take your pics to best show the shrinking you.  When the going gets tough - having a point of reference really helps us recognise our progress:  http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/how-to-take-before-and-after-photos-for-weight-loss-618.html

so I am on the wifes laptop been a lot happening. not all of it good. highlights are I was down to 359 at surgery, good, less to lose.

had a lot of pain yesterday. it felt like the worst hunger pain ever.

bad news is I have a low heart rate, I am staying here at least 2 extra days, and they are talking posible pacemaker...  :(

bladder is not working well and they have cathed me 4 times.

Aviator likes this

Hang in there, Freddy.

I had a lot of pain to start as well. Sometimes it happens.  It took a while for me to be able to pee after the cath was out too.  And the drugs depressed my heart rate and breathing terribly... so it's not a fun situation when that happens.

Hang in there.  I'm rooting for you and your family.  You're in my prayers.

fflintstone likes this

Fred-

Welcome once again and good luck with your weight loss journey.  Thanks for sharing your story.

Let me tell you, don't listen to the "60% Average" (of your excess weight) statistics.  You're soon going to have a great tool to help you beat obesity.

This is the absolute truth:  You will continue to lose weight so long as you dedicate yourself to taking in less calories than you burn.  Things don't stop when you hit the 60% mark.  The truth is people just give up the discipline and say "good enough", I think, because of that statistic.

Let me tell you something else, brother.  Now that you're sleeved, its no longer about HOPE.  Dedicate yourself to staying on the program on the program and its CERTAINTY.   I suggest you join MyFitnessPal and begin logging your food now.  Start the good habit right away.  The "average" WLS patient doesn't log food.  This will give you a leg up right off the bat.

Fred, I hope you're one of the folks who sticks around.  So many people post here, get their surgery, and then "take a powder".  The advantage of TT is that this is a really great support group - which is essential to your long term effort.   If you need something, just ask.  the answer is here.

Im guessing today,  you're still in the hospital,and will be home tomorrow.  I hope to hear that you're doing well and in good spirits as you begin.

Edited by Aviator

.................Fred, I hope you're one of the folks who sticks around.  So many people post here, get their surgery, and then "take a powder".  The advantage of TT is that this is a really great support group - which is essential to your long term effort.   If you need something, just ask.  the answer is here.

If I could like this a million times, I would.

I credit T-T for me being where I am today.  Other than when I've had surgeries (since my RNY), I've been here every day.

Take it easy, Freddie!  I had some serious pain for quite a long time and it was not fun.  My blood pressure was up and down and all over the first night, then finally settled down.  They left my cath in until the next morning and it took about 4-5 hours before I could go to the bathroom.  

Fred, I hope you're one of the folks who sticks around.  So many people post here, get their surgery, and then "take a powder".  The advantage of TT is that this is a really great support group - which is essential to your long term effort.   If you need something, just ask.  the answer is here.

Aviator hit the nail on the head with this one!  Please, please stick around...there is so much info here and support here.  I think I would have fallen apart without this board!

Aviator likes this

If I could like this a million times, I would.

I credit T-T for me being where I am today.  Other than when I've had surgeries (since my RNY), I've been here every day.

I feel like we've know each other a long time now. If I could like your post even once, I would. :)

Happy-Camper likes this

Have faith, I'm sure everything will turn out well. My surgery was on July 24th. I too had complications the day after surgery, my blood pressure dropped, my kidneys started failing, they put a port in my neck and arm and I was in ICU for 5 days. Everything is good now, and down 32lbs since surgery. I will be thinking about you and praying you have a speedy recovery.

Hey Fred, sorry you are having a rough time, I hope you can avoid the pacemaker. Your pain will decrease everyday, but will be better for sure once the gas has worked it's way out. I'll be looking for your next update, rest easy!

Aviator likes this

Fred - maybe this surgery has been more of a blessing than you realise.  Without it - would they have found a potential problem with your heart?

Praying for a fellow engineer (and based on your pictures - maybe a fellow homesteader???) Looks like you live in a rural area like me). I know you'll be up and biking with your kid in no time time.

fflintstone and SlimSmitty like this

Sorry to hear you have been having a rough time -- I hope it gets better soon!