• Hospital:Upstate Medical
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:380
  • Current Weight:240
  • Goal Weight:185
  • Surgery Date:08/09/2012
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

Just wondered if anyone out there has went from sleeve to RNY? What's been your experience?  Thanks!

#2 Jolls

Jolls

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Surgeon:Bettendorf
  • Hospital:Essentia - St Mary's
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:428
  • Current Weight:194.6
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31.8
  • Surgery Date:2-6-13

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Guess I'd be curious as well and ....asking in a completely non judgemental way....   why one feels the need to?

weight.png   event.png

First year goal of 225 met 11.5 months post op. (164lb loss)
One year loss:  168lbs
    ---    ONEderland reached: 4-19-14 (199.8)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-op 428 / Surgery 389 / Now 194 Loss since Surgery: 195 lbs / Total overall: 234 lbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Until now you have trained yourself to think that "empty" means "hungry".  Your mind is telling you to eat. Not your stomach." - Dees

#3 ItTimeForaChange

ItTimeForaChange

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Surgeon:Jonathan Aranow
  • Hospital:Middlesex Hospital
  • Start Weight:492
  • Current Weight:440
  • Goal Weight:200
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):68.9
  • Surgery Date:???????

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

I would say because RNY is more restrictive things you can get away with having a sleeve done might not work with RNY. Another reason could be is your surgeon is doing the RNY in 2 parts if your BMI is to high this is the safest way. Sleeve lose some weight then RNY.

weight.png

#4 KarensTurn

KarensTurn

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • LocationDallas Texas
  • Hospital:Baylor
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:210
  • Current Weight:168
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:05/22/2013

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

The sleeve used to be part of bypass.

weight.png

Some people quit due to SLOW progress,  Never grasping the fact that slow progress is ...  progress!

True Confession:  I lost 1 pound in the first 6 weeks after surgery -  I didn't despise small beginnings.

#5 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,458 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

Originally, the VSG was performed as the first step in WLS for heavier patients.  They then went on to convert to a DS (duodenal switch) if the patient hadn't lost enough weight with the VSG.

For someone who's already had a VSG, it makes sense to go for a DS because you've already got the first part of the DS anyway - the sleeve.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#6 chrissyrode

chrissyrode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY
  • Surgeon:Dr. Simon

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

I'm just curious because I've lost 150 with sleeve and still could go as high as loosing 80 +\- more. My loss has slowed from 15 a month to 8 to now, about 4-6..... And I am working my butt off to keep it going. I know that with hard work that I will get there - but just wondered if other people had lost a bunch and then got a revision to get the rest of the way.

Pre-surgery I was worried about the side effects of malabsorption and dumping with the RNY - which I why I personally chose to have the sleeve, rather than the RNY.

Edited by chrissyrode, 08 August 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#7 Jolls

Jolls

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Surgeon:Bettendorf
  • Hospital:Essentia - St Mary's
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:428
  • Current Weight:194.6
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31.8
  • Surgery Date:2-6-13

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

You are over the honeymoon period now being a year out, each surgery has that quick loss period and then it is maintanence there out.  Thats how they all work.  Only being a year out of a very successful sleeve surgery seems a little rash to be considering bypass already, but that is just my opinion. 

weight.png   event.png

First year goal of 225 met 11.5 months post op. (164lb loss)
One year loss:  168lbs
    ---    ONEderland reached: 4-19-14 (199.8)

Pre-op 428 / Surgery 389 / Now 194 Loss since Surgery: 195 lbs / Total overall: 234 lbs

" Until now you have trained yourself to think that "empty" means "hungry".  Your mind is telling you to eat. Not your stomach." - Dees

#8 Dees

Dees

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Start Weight:314
  • Current Weight:167
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:2/25/13

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Chrissy,

The lower you go, babe, the harder it's going to get.  I know that it has slowed for me now.  When I'm under 200, it will be slower yet, unless I turn to unhealthy eating practices. 

It might take the sleeve a little longer, but I think it will get you to the same place as RNY, as long as you keep working at it.  I think the quality of life at the end of the journey is going to be a little less hectic than with bypass... not so many problems with malabsorption and vitamin intake.  Not that anyone with bypass made a bad decision - I just think the sleeve was the right one for me, personally.

I expect it to be another year before I'm at or under 170.  And I've only 60 lbs to go.  It just isn't going to melt off for me.

I have days where I think about it too.  I think everyone probably questioned if they made the right surgery decision at some point (not the WLS decision as a whole, but the choice of RNY vs the sleeve). 

You have done so well.   You've lost well over 150 lbs in a single year.  That's fantastic!  And those numbers are comparable to bypass numbers, dear. 

Don't short change yourself.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We still think of a powerful man as a born leader and a powerful woman as an anomaly." - Margaret Atwood

"Food is just NOT worthy of my death. Period."  - HorseCrazyMom, TT

"Look at it as a treat and move on to the next meal."  -- CoolLady2007, MFP 

"Just because you know you can eat more, doesn't mean you need to or should."  - Jolls, TT

weight.png

#9 chrissyrode

chrissyrode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY
  • Surgeon:Dr. Simon

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thanks Dees,

I think you're right - it does slow down to the point where we question if we picked the right type of surgery. You hit the nail on the head - I totally feel that way some days. Just have to 'keep workin it'.  Thanks!!!

#10 rxmom2007

rxmom2007

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Surgeon:Dr. Isaac Samuel
  • Hospital:University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:418
  • Current Weight:195
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):29.6
  • Surgery Date:04/30/2013

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

One of the many reasons that factored into my sleeve was that I did start at such a heavy weight that the surgeon and PA felt it would be safer for me to start with the sleeve, then go to the revision to RNY or DS.  However, I have been losing weight pretty quickly and they said at my appointment last week that if I keep this up and even when I slow down, the sleeve may be all I need.  I know it will get harder, and it already has...I just had to up my game in the exercise department in the past couple of weeks to keep it coming off.

weight.png

Highest/Beginning/Pre-Op/Current/Goal/Ultimate Goal

418/408/365/195/163/155

#11 TheCloudPainter

TheCloudPainter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Surgeon:Dr Garcia
  • Hospital:Hospital Oasis
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:244
  • Current Weight:242
  • Goal Weight:120
  • Surgery Date:08/05/2013

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hey all... 

I had a gastric sleeve done in 2009. lost about 60 lbs, then started to gain again. 
I ended up weighing more than when I got the sleeve~

I had a gastric bypass on 8/5/13 and was much relieved to learn that my sleeve had been done way too large.
The surgeon I used is well known for this apparently.

I understand there's contributing factors of my own, of course, but it sure helps ease a bit of the shame that comes with a failed weight loss.

Edited by TheCloudPainter, 16 August 2013 - 12:19 PM.

149772.png

#12 shaegirl

shaegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBiloxi, MS
  • Surgeon:Dr. Robert Cromer
  • Hospital:Keesler Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:213
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Surgery Date:11/05/2013

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

I am a soon-to-be revision from the sleeve to the rny. My reason is to get rid of severe acid reflux that is destroying the lining of my esophagus and making my life miserable.

I too chose the sleeve because my main goal was to be healthy - regardless of my size - and to not have to worry about undernourishment. I have no regrets as I was told that since I have GERD, it could be exacerbated by the sleeve. I lost 70 lbs and then started creeping back up because my diet is mainly stomach coating starches just to have momentary relief from the burning.

I'm not a candidate for the DS because of this and IBD. My gastroenterologist also said that the "reflux surgery" would not work since my case is so severe. 

I am weary of the rny but relief from the reflux will be worth it. 

weight.png event.png

10/04/11 - 256 lbs. 10/19/11 - 240 lbs - Sleeved 04/01/12 - 183 lbs - Lowest weight.
10/29/13 - 213 lbs - Preop. 11/05/13 - 208 lbs - RNY 11/12/13 - 199 lbs - Onderland!!
01/16/14 - 183 lbs - Back to Lowest! 02/09/14 - 179 lbs - Lowest since 2002