Happy-Camper

Smoking, WLS and wound healing

49 posts in this topic

I was a smoker of 9 years, i quit last september by reading Allan Carrs 'easy way to quit smoking'. Honestly, i reccomend everyone who is having trouble with this. I wasn't ready quit at all, I always said that ill quit when im pregnant or some other excuse. I had heard about this book, and i thouhgt "what have i got to lose" so i bought the book that cost about $20 and read it in 2 days and i havent touched a cigarette since, havent even had a craving. it was SOO easy. Honestly, if anyone on here is having trouble. TRY IT!

Stephtay likes this

I quit smoking 6 weeks, 3 days ago.....my surgeon requires you to be a non or ex smoker before he will perform any weight loss surgery. ...he also requires at least 6 weeks and does a urine test before surgery....when i had my consult with him on Monday, he said the few people he's done surgery on that goes back to smoking after surgery have 100% chance of complications.....usually bleeding ulcer and/or strictures but also nutritional deficiencies as well....my surgery us 7 weeks from Friday and my thought process is there is no way in Hades I'm going back to smoking after all it took to quit Especially considering the complications I WILL get....good luck and it is probably the most difficult thing I have ever done...

Two best health decisions I made www quitting smoking (back in my 20's) and my sleeve surgery. I only regret taking so long to get around to having the sleeve.

We were told that after the surgery (RNY, Sleeve, and even band) that the stomach is only supplied blood by two small vessels at the top. The rest have been either removed or are pinched out by the band.

Nicotine causes blood vessels to contract and as a result, the stomach/sleeve/pouch will become blood starved and has a very good chance of developing ulcers and even ruptures.

Normally I would have ignored this as most doctors want you to quit just because it is bad for you but they actually had stats on it. 54% of all of the patients at the first clinic I went to that returned to smoking had ulcers and ruptures. Then during the support group I attended during the process, they put us into groups to talk with one another. We had pre and post surgery folks in the groups so we could discuss and learn from each other. One of the girls in the group had a band and went back to smoking. She was now back in the program for a VSG due to a rupture. I also have a co-worker that developed hypoglycemia around 3 years after his RNY and had to overcome his dumping as part of regulating himself plus keeping regulated with a more limited diet is hard. Due to the stress of it he went back to smoking and now has an ulcer.

As of this typing it is a Tuesday. I had three cigarettes Saturday, two on Sunday and didn't have the first until 11:30pm, then one Monday morning at 9:30ish. I am 24 hours out and so far I am staying the course with no real difficulty.

So far my only problems have been the odd random craving and I have been able to distract myself successfully and I feel bloated this morning.

As a bonus, this is day 1 of my restricted diet. Oh fun.

Edited by ChrisC
Spunkycat likes this

Sounds like you are making good decisions to get healthy.

As of 9:30 this morning, 1 week smoke free and still going.

Congrats.

Job well done.

Woohoo.....that's fantastic:)

Wow...awesome

.....yesterday was 12 weeks cigarette free for me.....the cravings Def get less but I still get them......they are gone in like 30 seconds though :) hang in there :)

ChrisC likes this

I don't get any cravings during the day, just at night right before bed and they are rough.

I quit smoking a couple of years ago in preparation for this type of surgery.  It's the best decision I ever made.  If anyone is looking for a good forum to get support for quitting smoking I would recommend www.quittrain.com.   I owe my quit to that place.   It's a very similiar atmosphere to this one. 

I'm expecting my wieghtloss experience to be similiar to quitting smoking.  Addiction is addiction right?!

Whether you join a support group or not I wish you well in your no smoking and weight loss journeys!

Day 15 without a cig! Patch, gum, lozenges are my new friends.

Sadly you will need to quit those too. Nicotine metabolizes into continine and that is what they test for. The continine is detectable in your system up to a week after your last dose of Nicotine.

It turns out that I did not get tested (that I know of) but many surgeons do.

The hardest part about quitting was that I didn't want to. I really enjoyed smoking.

362436 likes this

I am officially 3 months clean from nicotine!!! I had been smoking since I was 16 so 7 years ..Terrifying! I have seen first hand what smoking and Gastric Bypass can do to someone. My brother in law's mother had surgery about 9 years ago and still smokes and gets sick at every meal.

I refuse to do that to myself.

Buddymiles5 and katiegd like this

Think of it this way... the only cigarette you have to give up is the one you are about to have. Just skip this one. Then in a while when you go for the next one --- repeat. It took me four tries to quit and finally stay quit. The MAJOR difference between the 3 times I failed and the time I succeeded is THIS:  The three times I quit and failed, I waited what I thought was a sufficient amount of time and then came an opportunity " Oh, Ive been quit for 5 months. I'm safe, I'm on this cruise (or at this party, or at this barbecue or whatever ) and I 'll just have this one..... AND BOOM right back into it. Three times I did that. Quit, put on 35 pounds, suffer and fight the urges, then use some type of special occasion to have just one... and get sucked right back in. So in reality, I wasnt quit, I was just waiting.  The last time...when I finally succeeded, I said, this is it, No more, Ever. There will never be a safe time to have just one.  That was almost 4 years ago.  I never even have the the urges. I dont even give it a thought. It gets easier.  I promise. 

That is very well put.......in fact I've caught myself thinking that at times.....like oh I'm sure i could have 1 after being quit for like a year ......that is dangerous thinking.....can't ever have another one.....I've been nicotine and cigarette free for 16 weeks and 4 days :) I never want to go back to being a smoker....things like this really help :)

That is very well put.......in fact I've caught myself thinking that at times.....like oh I'm sure i could have 1 after being quit for like a year ......that is dangerous thinking.....can't ever have another one.....I've been nicotine and cigarette free for 16 weeks and 4 days :) I never want to go back to being a smoker....things like this really help :)

Congrats on your success .

A huge healthy decision

Sadly you will need to quit those too. Nicotine metabolizes into continine and that is what they test for. The continine is detectable in your system up to a week after your last dose of Nicotine.

It turns out that I did not get tested (that I know of) but many surgeons do.

The hardest part about quitting was that I didn't want to. I really enjoyed smoking.

7 weeks with no cigarettes. Just started Step 2 of nicotene patches. Plan to be completely nicotene free before surgury.

Spunkycat and ChrisC like this

7 weeks with no cigarettes. Just started Step 2 of nicotene patches. Plan to be completely nicotene free before surgury.

Good for you.

Aside from WLS, quitting smoking is such a good thing for your health.

You can do this. Hang tough.

Best...

Great work! I had my last cigarette 7 weeks ago today (2 weeks before surgery) and honestly it was easier than I thought, especially post surgery since my body went through too many changes to focus on nicotine. I do still get the occasional craving but nothing I can't handle. I feel so much better now.

Setting a target quit date and getting ready for the upcoming battle with my nicotine addiction. Thanks for the info HappyCamper.

I am also setting my date which will be at the end of the month but i have also been slowing down the amount of cigarettes per day.  I decided not to smoke during work hours and it has actually helped.  although i still have my morning, after dinner and goodnight cigarette i am finding it a little easier by not smoking the whole thing.  I want to be healthy and completely nicotine free at surgery time.

Yup quitting. The first and hardest step in my planning for surgery. I can avoid food easier than cigarettes. I've done 10 day fasts in the past no problem. I'm on day 15 of not smoking and want one so bad still. But hey I'm about to cut up a major body system in the name of health continuing to smoke makes no sense when radiant health is my goal. Its not easy.. but you can do it!! If I can its possible for anyone.

I was self pay in Mexico, so I did not have any nicotine requirements. However, I wasn't about to take chances with my health and healing, so I planned on quitting anyways. About 3 1/2 months prior to surgery I was "fortunate" to have gotten a very bad upper respiratory infection that then turned bronchitis. I could barely breath without breaking into an uncontrollable cough. It lasted 6 weeks and there was no way I could smoke during that time. Turned out to be a very timely opportunity to quit cold turkey. That gave me the next 2 months to wean off caffeine and I was all set for surgery.

I must confess, however, that about a year postop I did smart smoking an occasional cig. But like my sweets, I've been able to keep it in moderation. I sometimes have one cig on my way home from work. A pack lasts about 6 weeks.

I had my last cigarette on 3/27/15, prior to even considering WLS.  I went cold turkey and decided to not even substitute with nicotine-free ecigs.  Turns out it was a great decision -- I had my WLS consultation 8/18 and found out my surgeon does test for nicotine and will not perform surgery if you test positive.  I was a half a pack per day smoker for about 30 years.  Tomorrow is 23 weeks as a non-smoker :)

Edited by azrngolfer
princessblog and Spunkycat like this

After making the decision to get wls and then reading this, I'm definitely going to quit. I know it'll be tough at first but I know i can do it and that it will be worth it! Thanks for the great info!!