2Bme

surgery for excessive scar tissue

5 posts in this topic

Hi Doctor,

I have excessive scar tissue due to 5 abdominal surgeries. I am currently seeing a physical therapist who is trying to break up the scar tissue. My primary care doctor and the PT have mentioned I most likely will end up needing surgery due to the scar tissue. (2 c-sections, hysterectomy, gallbladder, and gastric by pass) Recently I was told the surgery would most likely be done by a plastic surgeon. I was concerned another surgery would just make more scar tissue.

If I end up needing a plastic surgeon to remove/cut all those scar tissue,....

1. Do you think a plastic surgeon would also be willing to remove excess abdominal skin/tighten as well?

2. Add in a breast lift?

How much time does scar tissue work take? Would the same amount of work have to be done in the removal of excess skin?

How is the scar tissue removed?

I have scar tissue and pain pretty much covering my entire abdominal and going under my hanging ribs.

Thank you

Hello 2Bme,

Thanks for your questions.

The answer to your questions depends a lot on the type of scar tissue you have, meaning where it is located.

If the scar tissue is superficial it is easier to remove, but if the scar tissue is all in your muscle layer then removing it would be much more complex.

The length of the procedure would therefore be quite variable.

The best way to determine the amount of scar tissue you have, and its location, would be to examine your abdominal tissues.

I recommend you seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options.

I am sure that an experienced plastic surgeon in your area would be able and willing to remove the excess abdominal skin at the same time, as well as do a mastopexy (breast lift).

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD.

Thank you.

As I understand it, my scar tissue is extensive and deep. The superficial areas we are still working on and have made some progress.

Do you have a recommendation for finding a board certified plastic surgeon in my area? I live in a small town with limited access. Is there a database that I can use to find a good doctor?

I recommend you visit the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website at http://www.plasticsurgery.org/ to search for a Board Certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Thank you.