Happy-Camper

Why the hair needs protein to re-grow

103 posts in this topic

I've lost some... but I keep mine so short it doesn't much matter. Besides, it grows back unless you really are going bald regardless of bariatric surgery. LOL.

About a month ago my hair started to fall out like crazy. Clumps in the shower, clumps while running fingers through my hair, brush full of hair.... got to the point I completely stopped washing it and brushing it because I couldn't stomach seeing it. Then My LOVLY Husband commented on how bad It was getting. The sides and hairline was the worst I knew if this continue for even another 2 months I'd be looking for a wig..... this was enough to mess with my head and then it got worse.... my butt.... my best feature had dropped a few inches, felt like mush and had wrinkles all over it! It was melting! ! Now, I've  posted alot as of late that I'm almost 5 months post op and have not exceeded 500 cals a day which puts my protein around 30 to 40 and there lies the problem. ... so I've worked really had the last 2 weeks to increase my cals and protein. It is extremely difficult for me because I'm never ever hungry and isn't that why I got this surgery? ? So I wouldn't have to think about food? Wrong-0 it's very important I plan my day early in the morning on my fitness pal so that I don't think about it I just eat what I wrote and at this time.... it has been incredibly helpful and has bumped my cals up to 700 and 800 with protein around 70 to 83 grams! I feel better, my hair has stopped falling out and my butt (with a little help of squeezing my buns while driving and watching tv) has drastically firmed up with less wrinkles. The moral of the story is protein is soooo important on so many levels! Now I wait and see how this increase will effect my weight loss...... even if it slows a bit I feel better and know I couldn't live on 500 cals a day forever right? 

AuntieErin likes this

Not that we should compare ourselves with each other, but to give you some reassurance, all along my calories have been in the range that you bumped yours up to, and my weight loss has progressed nicely.

Amber76bailey likes this

Not that we should compare ourselves with each other, but to give you some reassurance, all along my calories have been in the range that you bumped yours up to, and my weight loss has progressed nicely.

Thanks Wendy, I appreciate the response! 

I have always gotten the protein in and averaged about 800 calories. Almost exactly at month 4 my hair started falling out. I finally cut it from mid-back to collar bone length and the hair has stopped coming out by the hand full. Vitamins were not recommended by my dermatologist but Rogaine for men was recommended because female pattern baldness runs in my family.

Hair does need protein to regrow, and for post-sleevers, our daily intake has enough protein for that. But for majority of us, whether we take enough protein or not, the hair will still fall out. It's the side-effect of this surgery. The only question is, what works for each one of us to stop it, besides sufficient protein in our diet. I've seen most people on this forum advocating large doses of Biotin and using different shampoos, but these things did not work for me and I am sure they don't work for every single person. What stopped my hair from falling out was a specific mixture of oils that I concocted myself after doing research on the net. It's been almost 2 months since, and my hair is not falling out and regrowing nicely.

Amber76bailey likes this

Hair does need protein to regrow, and for post-sleevers, our daily intake has enough protein for that. But for majority of us, whether we take enough protein or not, the hair will still fall out. It's the side-effect of this surgery. The only question is, what works for each one of us to stop it, besides sufficient protein in our diet. I've seen most people on this forum advocating large doses of Biotin and using different shampoos, but these things did not work for me and I am sure they don't work for every single person. What stopped my hair from falling out was a specific mixture of oils that I concocted myself after doing research on the net. It's been almost 2 months since, and my hair is not falling out and regrowing nicely.

do you mind sharing your secret? 

chris777 likes this

I'm not going to debate the importance of the role of protein, although I think the amount needed is often over-hyped.

That said, it is important to remember that hair doesn't only fall out after WLS. It typically falls out after any surgery or other major trauma to the body, pregnancy/delivery, for example. It is the body's response, whether it be to hormones, anesthesia, shock, etc. 

I look at it as a necessary evil, and a means to an end. I lost hair after WLS, from about month 4-month 8, but not terribly. But over that same period of time, I lost a load of weight. I'll take it.

Raeme, Clickin, vonnie and 2 others like this

On 1/25/2016 at 6:10 PM, Amber76bailey said:

do you mind sharing your secret? 

I did extensive research on the internet, and decided to try this "concoction". I am not saying this is a guarantee that it would work for every single person, but at least it's all natural and, in my humble opinion, not harmful. Every single ingredient is good for hair and skin as well.

After using it a couple of times only, the bald spot that I had over my right temple was covered! But I continue using it to ensure thick undergrowth.

Here goes:

In a glass heat proof jar combine these:

-1 tablespoon coconut oil

-1 tablespoon shea butter

-1 tablespoon argan oil (moroccan oil)

-1 tablespoon jojoba oil.

Warm in a bowl of hot water until completely melted and stir.

to this quantity of base oils add:

-8 drops of essential lavender oil

-8 drops of essential rosemary oil

-5 drops of geranium oil.

Stir well together and apply to the roots of your hair, parting it in small sections. Apply more to where the hair falls out the most. For me, one application a week is enough, since this is how often I wash my hair. Cover your head with a shower cap and a warm towel and wait for an hour before washing your hair. Wash your hair as usual.

You may want to try apple cider vinegar rinse as well. I started it together with the "concoction", but I only do it twice a month. Take it 1 part of vinegar to 10 parts of very warm water and give your hair a final rinse with it. Don't forget to keep your eyes closed for a minute after the rinse, as the vinegar is very strong. Do not thoroughly dry your hair, try to leave as much vinegar in it as possible.

I hope this helps. You can experiment with the four base oils, taking more of one and less of another, or adding other oils to the mixture, like avocado and almond. Essential oils should be added at 2 drops per tablespoon of base oils.

Update February 22 2016: my hair has improved immensely. I am now using this twice monthly. The shine and the natural curl are back!

Edited by chris777
update
kayak19 likes this

Great article and thank you for the info! I have to admit my hair thinning is really an awful thought for me, so thank you for this. 

chris777 likes this

My fiance's hair began to fall out after his procedure, from the stress or lack of protein i don't know.  It bothered him enough that he cut his gorgeous long white hair so what he had left would look fuller.  I miss it, but on the plus side, he got his long sought promotion into upper management, and we both think the hair cut and the weight loss was a factor.

I am not crazy about the idea of hair falling out, but I cycle through long and short anyway.  So I'll get over it.  

Thank you so much for posting!

Forward to Health likes this

On 1/25/2016 at 8:25 AM, GAviv said:

I'm not going to debate the importance of the role of protein, although I think the amount needed is often over-hyped.

That said, it is important to remember that hair doesn't only fall out after WLS. It typically falls out after any surgery or other major trauma to the body, pregnancy/delivery, for example. It is the body's response, whether it be to hormones, anesthesia, shock, etc. 

I look at it as a necessary evil, and a means to an end. I lost hair after WLS, from about month 4-month 8, but not terribly. But over that same period of time, I lost a load of weight. I'll take it.

And to be clear -- mine is falling out (almost in month 6 here), and while it has freaked me out to pull as much off the brush as off the drain when I just took a shower (2x the hair) -- it is worth it.  Every bit.

I have read that using coconut oil is very good for the scalp and strengthens the roots -- recommended both orally and topically -- have you heard anything like that?  I am scared to do "alot" to my hair when I wash it, b/c I don't want to encourage anyone who is loose to come out.

7 hours ago, 3chillin said:

And to be clear -- mine is falling out (almost in month 6 here), and while it has freaked me out to pull as much off the brush as off the drain when I just took a shower (2x the hair) -- it is worth it.  Every bit.

I have read that using coconut oil is very good for the scalp and strengthens the roots -- recommended both orally and topically -- have you heard anything like that?  I am scared to do "alot" to my hair when I wash it, b/c I don't want to encourage anyone who is loose to come out.

You can scroll several posts up and see what I posted about this. My hair started falling out a lot 2 months after the surgery, and by 6 month post-op I had lost A LOT. SO I did something about it and it worked. It's worth trying. In two and a half months since I started using it weekly, my hair is practically back to normal. This week people at work even asked me where "they can get this type of hair". I am back to trimming my hair every 3 weeks, the curl is back, I can color it without fearing that it will start falling out again, and the crazy "halo" of the few hairs standing on ends is gone.

Of course I agree that it's worth it to undergo this surgery at the cost of losing hair, but if you can do something about it, it's much worth both losing weight and keeping the hair!

Edited by chris777
typographical errors
Forward to Health likes this

On 2/1/2016 at 7:49 AM, chris777 said:

I did extensive research on the internet, and decided to try this "concoction". I am not saying this is a guarantee that it would work for every single person, but at least it's all natural and, in my humble opinion, not harmful. Every single ingredient is good for hair and skin as well.

After using it a couple of times only, the bald spot that I had over my right temple was covered! But I continue using it to ensure thick undergrowth.

Here goes:

In a glass heat proof jar combine these:

-1 tablespoon coconut oil

-1 tablespoon shea butter

-1 tablespoon argan oil (moroccan oil)

-1 tablespoon jojoba oil.

Warm in a bowl of hot water until completely melted and stir.

to this quantity of base oils add:

-8 drops of essential lavender oil

-8 drops of essential rosemary oil

-5 drops of geranium oil.

Stir well together and apply to the roots of your hair, parting it in small sections. Apply more to where the hair falls out the most. For me, one application a week is enough, since this is how often I wash my hair. Cover your head with a shower cap and a warm towel and wait for an hour before washing your hair. Wash your hair as usual.

You may want to try apple cider vinegar rinse as well. I started it together with the "concoction", but I only do it twice a month. Take it 1 part of vinegar to 10 parts of very warm water and give your hair a final rinse with it. Don't forget to keep your eyes closed for a minute after the rinse, as the vinegar is very strong. Do not thoroughly dry your hair, try to leave as much vinegar in it as possible.

I hope this helps. You can experiment with the four base oils, taking more of one and less of another, or adding other oils to the mixture, like avocado and almond. Essential oils should be added at 2 drops per tablespoon of base oils.

Update February 22 2016: my hair has improved immensely. I am now using this twice monthly. The shine and the natural curl are back!

Chris -- this looks all extremely reasonable -- would you mind explaining why each of the ingredients is necessary?  I have most of them now, but not all of them.  For example,  I don't have jojoba oil, shea or geranium oils.

Thoughts?  I wonder what the critical thing might be.

5 hours ago, Forward to Health said:

Chris -- this looks all extremely reasonable -- would you mind explaining why each of the ingredients is necessary?  I have most of them now, but not all of them.  For example,  I don't have jojoba oil, shea or geranium oils.

Thoughts?  I wonder what the critical thing might be.

I don't know if any one of these can be critical. I rather think they all work together. I used jojoba as a hot oil hair wrap many years ago. Jojoba is very nourishing for the hair. So is argan oil. I saw many recommending shea butter and decided to try it, and I added coconut oil because it's obviously good for everything - I use it for other things, too, and my daughter in law and daughter both use just it alone for their hair, and their hair grows fast and looks very healthy. I am not an expert on any of these things, but I read some very good and detailed explanations on the properties of the essential oils that I added. It was just a trial that worked out extremely well for me. Rosemary and and lavender essential oils are also good for the hair. You don't have to add geranium oil if you don't have it, but you may want to add tea tree oil, especially if you have dandruff or itchy scalp. I do in winter. So, this "concoction" has obviously restored growth and thickness of my hair and restored it to health. As I wrote, you can experiment with other oils, both base and essential. Some people use olive oil, but I prefer to keep it strictly in my frying pan. There are tons of materials on the net. If you have coconut and argan oil, that's a very good start. You can add almond oil to those, or just use the two of them in equal proportions and add 2 drops of rosemary and lavender essential oils for each tablespoon of base oil.

I really liked shea butter and decided to use it for my skin, too. Some people call it "youth elixir", and it's used in organic cosmetic creams to provide UV protection. I discovered though that shea butter on its own is too strong to use and has to be "diluted" with other base oils. I use it on my face together with almond oil and wheat germ oil. I love almond oil for its viscosity that gives it very silky and smooth feeling when rubbed on the skin.  Wheat germ is full of Vitamin E. I add grapeseed oil that is also a good source of Vitamin E and then some drops of the same Rosemary and lavender essential oils.  Works fine for me.

Edited by chris777
typographical errors
Amber76bailey likes this

Where do you buys these? I have coconut oil but that's it.

51 minutes ago, chris777 said:

As I wrote, you can experiment with other oils, both base and essential. Some people use olive oil, but I prefer to keep it strictly in my frying pan. There are tons of materials on the net. If you have coconut and argan oil, that's a very good start. You can add almond oil to those, or just use the two of them in equal proportions and add 2 drops of rosemary and lavender essential oils for each tablespoon of base oil.

I really liked shea butter and decided to use it for my skin, too. Some people call it "youth elixir", and it's used in organic cosmetic creams to provide UV protection. I discovered though that shea butter on its own is too strong to use and has to be "diluted" with other base oils. I use it on my face together with almond oil and wheat germ oil. I love almond oil for its viscosity that gives it very silky and smooth feeling when rubbed on the skin.  Wheat germ is full of Vitamin E. I add grapeseed oil that is also a good source of Vitamin E and then some drops of the same Rosemary and lavender essential oils.  Works fine for me.

Haha! (Eureka!)  I have almond oil and tea tree oil.....I wonder -- what do you think of lemongrass oil....am I going to smell delicious?

I wonder if you can start with Argan Oil shampoo - Organix has a really good one, and add to it.  I cannot imagine using just coconut oil on my hair -- something has to froth and be sudsy in there.  I think tonight I'll do a wrap with what I have and rinse with apple cider vinegar -- I hope that doesn't make me smell ridiculous.

You know -- if this works so well - why don't you consider making batches and opening an etsy store for all of us -- I'd line up.

chris777 likes this

8 hours ago, Amber76bailey said:

A good health food store (Vitamin Shoppe is near us) should have all, or nearly all of these in stock.

Amber76bailey likes this

On 2/22/2016 at 11:46 PM, Amber76bailey said:

You can start with just coconut oil alone. You can get everything on Amazon, but carefully check reviews on shea butter. Some of them have many negative reviews. I get my own from luckyvitamins.com and shea butter especially made my Now Foods. Hope this helps!

Amber76bailey likes this

Thanks, Forward to Health, I think everyone can easily make these things. The "concoction" is not intended for washing the hair, but for a pre-wash hair mask, but you are right - you can add a few drops of essential oils to your shampoo or conditioner and it will be better than nothing. But the advantage of the pre-wash hair mask is that it sits on your hair for an hour and really soaks the elements into the hair.

I do use Lemongrass oil, but for my body and nails concoction.

Good luck, have fun.

20 hours ago, chris777 said:

You can start with just coconut oil alone. You can get everything on Amazon, but carefully check reviews on shea butter. Some of them have many negative reviews. I get my own from luckyvitamins.com and shea butter especially made my Now Foods. Hope this helps!

Thanks chris! I bought all products you listed all by "Now foods" (except for the coconut oil I had) this ran me about 65 dollars at my local nature store in case anyone wanted to know the cost. This is in hopes it will help with my 15 year old daughter who has long beautiful hair but it's on the "coarse" side or dry and brittle. Now matter how much we keep it trimmed it's just has that texture and will NOT grown past a certain length. I'm hoping this once a week treatment will help her! Of course I'll be  doing it with her lol 

chris777 likes this

14 hours ago, Amber76bailey said:

Thanks chris! I bought all products you listed all by "Now foods" (except for the coconut oil I had) this ran me about 65 dollars at my local nature store in case anyone wanted to know the cost. This is in hopes it will help with my 15 year old daughter who has long beautiful hair but it's on the "coarse" side or dry and brittle. Now matter how much we keep it trimmed it's just has that texture and will NOT grown past a certain length. I'm hoping this once a week treatment will help her! Of course I'll be  doing it with her lol 

I hope it helps both of you! I also have all my stuff from Now Foods!. Just to give an example, my youngest daughter also uses coconut oil, sometimes on its own and sometimes in my concoction. She is bi-racial and has very coarse and brittle hair. Or should I say had? She had split end, too, that we just could not get rid of. She's been using these oils for about a year, and she has no split ends, hear hair is much more manageable and soft. Moreover, we've never seen it growing so fast as since she started using it. But it really took time. It looks like with some type of hair it should be like a long-term thing.

Amber76bailey likes this

3 hours ago, chris777 said:

I hope it helps both of you! I also have all my stuff from Now Foods!. Just to give an example, my youngest daughter also uses coconut oil, sometimes on its own and sometimes in my concoction. She is bi-racial and has very coarse and brittle hair. Or should I say had? She had split end, too, that we just could not get rid of. She's been using these oils for about a year, and she has no split ends, hear hair is much more manageable and soft. Moreover, we've never seen it growing so fast as since she started using it. But it really took time. It looks like with some type of hair it should be like a long-term thing.

This really gives me hope for her, thank you! 

This is the concoction I use:

• 3 Tablespoons of Castor Oil   (amazon)
  • 1 Tablespoon Jojoba Oil  (amazon)
  • 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil  (grocery store)

Though to note I'm 3 years post op and just started this recently.  I lost month 4-10 like most people and it all grew back.   I do this in attempt for it to grow faster cause I want my looooooong hair back   (I chopped most of it off when I started to shed back in the early post op days).  My hair is healthy and grows fine and as I said - grew back - after the loss....   just trying to make it healthier and go faster :)

Edited by Jolls
chris777 likes this

On 2/26/2016 at 3:32 AM, Jolls said:

This is the concoction I use:

• 3 Tablespoons of Castor Oil   (amazon)
  • 1 Tablespoon Jojoba Oil  (amazon)
  • 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil  (grocery store)

Though to note I'm 3 years post op and just started this recently.  I lost month 4-10 like most people and it all grew back.   I do this in attempt for it to grow faster cause I want my looooooong hair back   (I chopped most of it off when I started to shed back in the early post op days).  My hair is healthy and grows fine and as I said - grew back - after the loss....   just trying to make it healthier and go faster :)

Is it working for you?  Does your hair growth faster?

I put my oil concoction on around 10pm and use a hair wrap.  I watch TV and go to bed with it.  In the morning I rinse it out and then shampoo.  No conditioner necessary.

For the mom-daughter pair...she may enjoy doing a face mask or her nails while you both have it wrapped up--being girlie together is the best.

Amber76bailey likes this