Happy-Camper

Why the hair needs protein to re-grow

93 posts in this topic

Headblade could become your best friend.

http://www.headblade.com/category/ATX_System.html

Do it. I think it's a much better, younger look than a combover.

Happy-Camper likes this

Is it okay to just let my hair fall out??  I am in the grips of MPB (male pattern baldness) and would much rather go bald. :D

Go bald if you want to, but letting your protein go lacking will ultimately hurt your muscles. The hair is a vanity thing, the muscles not so much.

shar8676 and Aviator like this

Go bald if you want to, but letting your protein go lacking will ultimately hurt your muscles. The hair is a vanity thing, the muscles not so much.

I understand the muscle part, I was just responding to the hair topic.  You are correct that protein is very important in muscle growth and maintenance.  Hair today.......Gone tomorrow!! :)

bald is sexy.  maybe i should let mine fall on out, too...

Nuuuuuuu. Bald is not for you H-C

Forward to Health likes this

Nuuuuuuu. Bald is not for you H-C

If I had Sinead O'Connors head I might, though.  :)

bald is sexy.  maybe i should let mine fall on out, too...

Mine IS falling out like crazy! (yeah, I get in my protein daily, take vitamins, biotin,,,, etc etc).... but if this keeps up, I might have to forgo my pride and shave my head! LOL! :)

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this, Christi. The Biotin that I take is an over-the-counter brand (I get it at Walmart). It is fast dissolve (under the tongue) 1000mg. It tastes sort of fruity and I just let it sit under my tongue (along with a B-12 tablet--also from Walmart). They both dissolve in about the same amount of time (about 10 minutes).

Happening to me too now. This past month my hair has been thinning. I don't have bald spots but its pretty thin toward the hair line. I'm not super worried. I got it cut and straightened so I can fuss with it. It's all in the attitude anyway. Grace Jones wore her hair bald as a baby's butt at one point, and she carried herself with confidence and assurance and was beautiful. Sinead O'Conner, too.

It'll come back when it's good and ready. And if it doesn't, I'll have bigger boobs implanted and no one will ever look at my head anyway. :P

Losing hair

Losing hair

When I was doing the HCG diet there were a lot of people on the HCG forum I subscribed to having problems with their hair falling out me included

and a lot of veterans on that site swore by

Biotin 2 -5000mcg capsules per day 

Thymus2 -500mg  capsules per day

L-cysteine 2 -500mg capsule per day

MSM 2 -1500mg capsule per day

if it worked with that diet it should work for the same reason with WLS

it is part of the vitamin regimen I will be adding to after my surgery

you may want to research it

here is the link site https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/HcgDieters/conversations/topics/212672

6 months out, just now losing hair, I get my protein in, And take Biotin. I'm concerned. Thanks for the article, I'm just now getting around reading this feed.

How many mcg is recommended of Biotin to take daily during this process?

I just visited with my doctor today and she recommended 5000 mcg/day. To be taken indefinitely.

I was slightly concerned about hair loss (which was mentioned in our first orientation meeting). But, I wanted to be thin more than I wanted hair. Our bariatric advisor told us to start taking Biotin immediately (even before the surgery). I did. I now take one tablet under the tongue 3-4 times a week. My daughter is a hair dresser and she cuts my hair. I had not said anything about taking the Biotin but last week when she was cutting my hair, she casually mentioned that my hair looked healthier and thicker than it did before my surgery. She didn't have any reason to try and pay a compliment where none was needed. She told me that it was thicker mostly in the back and that the texture felt better--less brittle. I have also noticed a lot less hair in the hairbrush. Not sure if it is an improved diet (more protein) after 14 months since surgery, or if it is the Biotin. But, I plan to keep right on taking it --maybe add another day or two to the schedule.

Hi Christi - 

What is the brand name of the Biotin sublingual tablet that you take?  What is the mcg?  I can only find gelcaps of Biotin - which I took for several years before surgery.  I don't think I'm allowed to take gelcaps at 6-weeks out, so the sublingual tablets would definitely be a solution.  Thanks for the info!

I had a spell of hair loss about 6-8 months after my 2013 procedure and went to see the dermatologist.  

She told me that the loss was temporary and that my hair would return but I should use Minoxydil or Rogaine, then told me that she personally uses the full strength version labeled for men.

My dermatologist is a cute 30 something blonde with kinda naturally thin, fine hair.  I looked surprised to learn that she is using the men's strength juice and asked her, "Your using that and your not growing a pair?"

She laughed and said no, its only helping her grow thicker hair.

This really helped me regrow hair but you have to be patient with it.  Application once a day is enough.

Wow I had no idea that hair loss would be associated with WLS (so so new to all of this, doing research for my husband!) This was really helpful, not only did I learn something new but I see recommendations of which brands to use. Maybe him and I will both start taking Biotin. So thank you everyone!

I've taken biotin for years. My current bottle is Spring Valley 5000 mcg per soft gel. I got them at Walgreens and they are tiny footballs. I switched from taking one per day to two per day since I'm early out. I've also used Nioxin for years but I noticed right after surgery I tad a lot more shedding. Dr said it was too soon but I didn't make it up. My daughter even noticed my bangs are thinner. I haven gotten to 80 gr of protein the last two days and I just have to stick to it. It does include 1 protein shake which is 32 gr but I split that into a morning half and an evening half. If I have to get a wig, I guess I will do so. Read yesterday that the best place to get a wig is a store that caters to cancer patients and I have already located one. Being prepared. Thanks for the great article.

Good to have it reaffirmed that we need protein to make our hair grow. Have read both linked articles, but I feel like I'm missing something here.., Nowhere can I find info regarding why we--WLS folks--tend to lose our hair around month 4. I certainly saw a sudden fallout of mine!

However, to my mind, the implied idea here (that is, lack of protein causing hair loss) doesn't seem to apply to our particluar population. Many, if not most, of us have taken in more protein during those 4 months than ever before. (Many of us also began that high protein intake the months prior to surgery to prepare.) So our hair should be growing even more than before! Thoughts, anyone?

chris777 likes this

Good to have it reaffirmed that we need protein to make our hair grow. Have read both linked articles, but I feel like I'm missing something here.., Nowhere can I find info regarding why we--WLS folks--tend to lose our hair around month 4. I certainly saw a sudden fallout of mine!

However, to my mind, the implied idea here (that is, lack of protein causing hair loss) doesn't seem to apply to our particluar population. Many, if not most, of us have taken in more protein during those 4 months than ever before. (Many of us also began that high protein intake the months prior to surgery to prepare.) So our hair should be growing even more than before! Thoughts, anyone?

Find Jolls' post in the thread below. There's a link to a page explaining post-trauma hair loss (telogen effluvium).

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/104949-has-anyone-endured-bald-spots-from-hair-loss-after-surgery/?fromsearch=1

saguaro68 likes this

Ah--our major surgery was the stressor. Perfectly informative--thanks! (& thanks to Jolls too!)

reading all these posts about hair loss made me think...... there was a time I started losing hair for no reason - about 10 years ago. Someone then advised me to use a mask that stopped my hair loss after a couple of months. My friend, who was losing hair from the front part of her head, was much more faithful than me in applying the mask, and her hair became thick again.

Here is what to do: once a week, before washing your hair, apply to the roots as much as possible the mixture of:

1 teaspoon honey

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 teaspoon onion juice(grate the onion then take the liquid)

1 egg yolk.

Cover your head and let it sit for 1 hour, then wash your hair.

The result must come sooner or later, just keep on doing it. Once a week is not that much time!

Forward to Health likes this

Hmmmm.... my hair started falling out at 2 months post-op. By now I have lost quite a lot. I am glad I started those masks immediately after the surgery. I started taking Biotin, too, after reading this thread, and 2 weeks later I noticed hair growing - everywhere, that is, on my face, under my eyes and even on the tip of my nose. I had to stop and reduce the dose from 600 to 300. I also started taking a supplement formulated specifically against hair loss.

I am not at 3 and 1/2 months post-op, and just yesterday I noticed that there was less hair fall-out.

My question is: do we have to take biotin forever?

Another question: the hair falling out, does it happen only once and then begins to regrow?

Thanks in advance.

About a month ago, I came onto this forum and requested help with major hair loss.  I was almost four months post-op from gastric bypass.  I increased my biotin from 5000 twice a day to 10000 twice a day and added silica twice a day.  PLUS, i doubled up on my protien in shakes.  This helped enormously.  I'm still losing some hair, but not quite the amount that I was losing before.  Thank you to everyone for their kind words of encouragement and answers.  It really helped me get through a tough time.

Nancy