Happy-Camper

Why the hair needs protein to re-grow

93 posts in this topic

Hair Growth - Hair Construction

Q: What exactly is hair made of and how does it grow?

hairroot2.jpg hairanatomy.jpg A: The best way to answer this question is to reverse the two parts. First, your hair grows from follicles within the skin. The part of the hair inside the follicle (below the skin's surface) is known as the hair root, while the portion you see protruding from the head is the hair shaft. At the base of the hair root is the hair bulb where nutrients are received and new cells are formed.

Also within the hair follicle are the dermal papilla (a cone shaped protrustion at the base of the follicle which feeds blood - and therefore nutrients - to the hair bulb), the sebaceous gland (or oil gland) which lubricates and keeps the hair healthy and shiny, as well as the arrector pili, a tiny muscle anchored to the follicle. The arrector pili respond to stimulus (fear or cold) causing them to contract and make the hair stand up straight.

Taking nutrients from the dermal papilla, the hair bulb generates new hair cells. As these cells move up through the hair root, they mature through a process called keratinization, fill with fibrous protein and lose their nucleus. When the cell loses its nucleus it is no longer alive. By the time the hair emerges from the skin it is merely fiber made of keratinized proteins.

hairconstructionthumb.jpg         The fibrous protein emerging from the hair follicle as the hair shaft has a specific construction. It forms a strand with three layers: an outer covering of overlapping keratin scales called the cuticle, a middle layer of keratinized protein fibers called the cortex, and, usually, a central 'core' of round cells called the medulla. A medulla is almost always found in coarse hair, and often is absent from naturally blonde hair and very fine hair.

In fact, your hair is approximately 91 percent protein, and is made up of long chains of amino acids. These chains are found within the fibers of the cortex of the hair. The amino acids of these chains are made up of the elements carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, and sulfur (are also the building blocks of the skin and nails) and are joined together by peptide bonds. Long chains of these peptide bonds are called polypeptide chains.

The polypeptide chains are in turn joined by side bonds. There are three types of side bonds: salt bonds, hydrogen bonds, and disulfide bonds. The salt and hydrogen bonds are most prevalent, but are weaker and are broken by heat and moisture. It is the action of salt and hydrogen bonds that allow the use of wet roller sets and curling or flat irons to change the amount of curl in the hair. Disulfide bonds are fewer, but are much stronger. When you get a permanent wave service, or a relaxer, it is the disulfide bonds that are broken and reformed to give you the change in the amount of curl. Each type of side bond accounts for about one-third of the hair's strength.

http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/hairgrowth.htm

and an interesting wiki on hair in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair

Good article.  Scanned briefly - am going swimming and then mall walking in T-minus 10 minutes & counting.  :P

Will return to read later.

That is an outstanding article HC - thank you!

My pleasure!  I ran across it and loved it!  Answered a few questions I had and explained the reason for why protein makes our hair grow back and lack of makes it fall out.

kluvkin, LatinaCurves and cinwa like this

Yup.  This makes sense to me.  My auntie explained this in simplified terms... but this goes into much more detail. :)  Awesome article.  Should bookmark the thread so we can give it to people when they ask questions about hair.  Only comes up like 10 times a day... lol ;)

Jolls and Kazkaren like this

New members sometimes have difficulty navigating the forum.

I know it can get a little old for our regulars but that's what the back button is for.

I'd rather see the same question asked over and over and over than someone walk away without having the benefit of the guidance, advice and support of those who've walked the path before them.

wlsrookie16, averett105 and ~Becca~ like this

I feel stupid saying this but after 19 months I only JUST  found the "view new content" button!   :unsure:   What a difference!

I feel stupid saying this but after 19 months I only JUST  found the "view new content" button!   :unsure:   What a difference!

I confess, I'm not very tech savvy at the best of times.

I only just got the hang of our our old forum when we switched to this one.  That was a little testing!  smiley-computer001.gif

Yes, I understand that new members have trouble navigating. :)  That's why we tend to give so many links to other threads.  

sherireese and Pray123 like this

My pleasure!  I ran across it and loved it!  Answered a few questions I had and explained the reason for why protein makes our hair grow back and lack of makes it fall out.

I've pinned this thread - it's an excellent article.  Thank you again HC.

Woot! Woot! Thanks for sharing :)

sherireese likes this

Have you found the way to "view YOUR content"? I find that one useful when trying to locate a thread I've responded to before.

Av

sherireese likes this

yep, Avi, I found that one!  I was just mainly hanging out in socialize and missing a lot of good posts that way! 

sherireese likes this

Happening to me too now. This past month my hair has been thinning. I don't have bald spots but its pretty thin toward the hair line. I'm not super worried. I got it cut and straightened so I can fuss with it. It's all in the attitude anyway. Grace Jones wore her hair bald as a baby's butt at one point, and she carried herself with confidence and assurance and was beautiful. Sinead O'Conner, too.

It'll come back when it's good and ready. And if it doesn't, I'll have bigger boobs implanted and no one will ever look at my head anyway. :P

Thanks for the info - great stuff to know as we experience these changes!

sherireese and Happy-Camper like this

Great advice! Thanks for sharing. PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN. Got it!  :)

Happy-Camper and sherireese like this

This is a great article...thanks so much for this information

sherireese likes this

I lost a lot of hair with my weight loss but during my pregnancy it got fuller, thicker, richer. Around month 4 of breastfeeding my daughter my hair started falling out again by the bundles. I mean Every day i would have maybe 3 huge balls of hair coming off my head.. I am open to all suggestions! Bought myself hair shampoo and conditioner that advertises that it helps with thining hair also bought myself PRIORIN pills .. i am scared of going bald as i'm in month 5 of BF and the hair loss hasnt stopped. I am at a point that i'm scared of brushing my hair because so much falls off and i have so little left..Hair stylist gave me some great tips on how to make it look fuller which helps cover up my bold areas but it has not stopped my hair loss.

Edited by Xeniak
Forward to Health likes this

I was slightly concerned about hair loss (which was mentioned in our first orientation meeting). But, I wanted to be thin more than I wanted hair. Our bariatric advisor told us to start taking Biotin immediately (even before the surgery). I did. I now take one tablet under the tongue 3-4 times a week. My daughter is a hair dresser and she cuts my hair. I had not said anything about taking the Biotin but last week when she was cutting my hair, she casually mentioned that my hair looked healthier and thicker than it did before my surgery. She didn't have any reason to try and pay a compliment where none was needed. She told me that it was thicker mostly in the back and that the texture felt better--less brittle. I have also noticed a lot less hair in the hairbrush. Not sure if it is an improved diet (more protein) after 14 months since surgery, or if it is the Biotin. But, I plan to keep right on taking it --maybe add another day or two to the schedule.

sherireese, chris777 and Becca52 like this

I was slightly concerned about hair loss (which was mentioned in our first orientation meeting). But, I wanted to be thin more than I wanted hair. Our bariatric advisor told us to start taking Biotin immediately (even before the surgery). I did. I now take one tablet under the tongue 3-4 times a week. My daughter is a hair dresser and she cuts my hair. I had not said anything about taking the Biotin but last week when she was cutting my hair, she casually mentioned that my hair looked healthier and thicker than it did before my surgery. She didn't have any reason to try and pay a compliment where none was needed. She told me that it was thicker mostly in the back and that the texture felt better--less brittle. I have also noticed a lot less hair in the hairbrush. Not sure if it is an improved diet (more protein) after 14 months since surgery, or if it is the Biotin. But, I plan to keep right on taking it --maybe add another day or two to the schedule.

Which Biotin do you use? I am looking for one that I don't have to swallow. But I might have to anyway. Does it taste bad?

sherireese likes this

Thanks! Very interesting article!

Thanks! Very interesting article!

Which Biotin do you use? I am looking for one that I don't have to swallow. But I might have to anyway. Does it taste bad?

I'm taking a Biotin made by Natrol that I got at WalMart that quickly dissolves in my mouth and tastes great. It's 1000mcg and I have been taking it 3-4 times a day. I don't know what the maximum dosage is suppose to be, but I know that there are 5000mcg pills out there.

If anyone knows the maximum dosage per day I would like to know. My surgery is hopefully coming up this fall and I'm trying to boost my hair in advance of surgery.

I wanted to share that for my hair I have really benefited from Nature Mades Vitamelts (hair, skin,and nails). My thyroid caused some hair loss and these are flavored and easy to take.

Is it okay to just let my hair fall out??  I am in the grips of MPB (male pattern baldness) and would much rather go bald. :D

chris777, tmcgee, Aviator and 1 other like this