NashvilleGirl

Need to vent and looking for motivation

So about 2 weeks out from my 5 month surgery date. I'm at a 60lb weight loss, feeling good, lots of compliments lately, which is always nice.

For the last month or so, the stress level has gone up for a variety of different reasons.

Work - started a new role, had to major training and learning and developing a new dept, late nights etc.

Also getting married, so planning that (even though were trying to keep it stress free, yeah right)

Of course these are all excuses for me to explain, why i'm not exercising and why i'm not sticking to a high protein/low carb way of life.

I admit it, i'm a foodie, I love to try new restaurants, new dishes, old favorites...sure i don't each the portion size i use to but still.

But the worse of it.... sweets. for the first 3.5 months, not a bit of sugar passed my lips (or a very small amount) but it started with a mini cupcake and it went downhill from there...craving cakes and ice creams! dreaming about them and I find myself slipping into my old ways of not paying attention and just putting whatever looks good into my mouth. HELP!

Does anyone have any suggestions to getting back on track? Please motivate me!

:) Thanks

Well, I can tell you I bought a box of Special K protein bars at Costco, ate one and decided it was too good - and returned the rest.

The ONLY way I can stay away from sugar is to not let it near me.

We eat out on weekends, EVERY weekend.  My only salvation there is to look at the menus online ahead of time and find something I can eat and stick with that.

I go to the gym EVERY day simply because if I dont go Every day I will find a reason not to go ANY day.

One of my friends best explained how she lost weight during stressful times is that it was the ONE thing she had complete control of -- off all the things going on with her life, what went in her mouth was the ONE thing she could control.   That made sense to me.

Other than that,  I've got nothing.

Good Luck!

You need to forgive yourself and begin anew tomorrow.  In the 4-1/2 years since my surgery there has been a lot of stress.  There still in a lot of stress.

Find a stress relieving escape that does not involve food.  Don't watch TV or at least fast forward through the commercials.

Instead of eating out, go to the theater. Take beef jerky to the movies.  Take up golf (or something that involves moving about).

And change little things instead of trying to change everything.  A little change done over a year is far better than a big change you cant maintain.

Cheers

I too have noticed a single slip often means days of slips until I finally get so frustrated I go back at things 'balls to the wall' style - expecting immediate gratification. Unfortunately, that's not the case for anyone pre or post op. We to have to strive and struggle sometimes every inch of the way to correct some very strong behaviors from our past lives.

My best advice is to 1- don't beat yourself up over a single meal. Remember that one meal never made any of us overweight.... It's patterned behavior.... Which feeds into 2- we sometimes have to talk business to ourselves about what we really want....and mean it. 3- is the follow through on that talk...whether it's shopping better,eating out less, choosing better options, limiting what's in the house, etc... We have to take appropriate actions based on our big goals and make modifications to our lives.

Edited by chrissyrode

The cupcake made me do it!!!

What I hear you say seems to lean toward "all or nothing" thinking.  If this is your tendency (I used to be very much this way) counselling may help.  The advice I was given was to look at your diet in terms of 80/20.  Eighty percent of the time you stick to everything nutritious allowing yourself a "treat" twenty percent of the time.  This may not work for everyone but it's been a great balance for me.  Hopefully, these thoughts will be of some value to you.  Sixty pounds is not something to minimize--it's a terrific beginning!    :)    Best of luck to you!

thanks guys! all very good advice... sometimes you just need to hear others confirm what you really already know. after venting yesterday i actually picked up my gym bag and got in there... heres to getting back on track. :cool:

one day at a time.

one day at a time.

Sound advice but I go "one meal at a time".

Keep up the great work!!! You are doing AWESOME!!!

I am trying to keep in mind the 1st year is our honeymoon period. I would like to get to my goal weight by 1 yr. I allow some sweets on special occasions. If I do slip up and eat them on a normal day, I make sure I get some extra exercise in. I like to think when I am maintaining at a healthy weight there will be more room for small treats. Focus on your goal. Begin each day fresh.