6GP2008

Eating has become a chore...

I'm about 2 and a half months out from surgery and eating has become somewhat of a chore.  I am happy with the results so far (down 65lbs) but there is very little that I can eat without having that urge of throwing up...I'm assuming that since it's still fairly early in the process, I will eventually get to the point where eating feels normal meaning and I don't get that nauseated feeling...

The only time I felt nauseated was when I tried (not on purpose) to eat too fast. Could that be the culprit? Great job on the weight loss so far.

I also have found that I have to eat slowly and pay attention to the "too full" signal. If I get "too full", I have an urge to "burp" which isn't really a burp but an expelling of some of the food that didn't make it to my stomach. It isn't really throwing up, but it isn't fun either. If I really eat too much, that is accompanied by extreme pain in my upper back. No fun!

It is amazing to me how little I can eat -- maybe 1/4 to 1/3 cup at a time of dense food.

I had my surgery on 3/25 and I still get nauseated if I eat out, or if I eat too much or too fast.  The perfect amount of any solid food for me is about 2 or 2.5 oz. 

Although eating is not a chore, the romance is definitely gone.  I eat 5 times a day, every few hours and I track everything in myfitnesspal.com. 

I don't think that I'm eating too fast (at least I don't think so). I try to be conscious about that. The only thing that seems to go down with no issues is soup. I'm hoping that its because I'm only 2 and a half months out. As far as quantity, it's definitely not that...the minute I get that nauseated feeling I usually lose my appetite. Anything other than soup seems to go down slow (no matter how much I chew) usually resulting in it coming back up. I'm hoping its just because my body is still healing.

My experience with everything coming back up except soup or yogurt was the result of a stricture - and when the stricture was corrected the problem went away immediately.    Have you checked with your doctor?

I don't think that I'm eating too fast (at least I don't think so). I try to be conscious about that. The only thing that seems to go down with no issues is soup. I'm hoping that its because I'm only 2 and a half months out. As far as quantity, it's definitely not that...the minute I get that nauseated feeling I usually lose my appetite. Anything other than soup seems to go down slow (no matter how much I chew) usually resulting in it coming back up. I'm hoping its just because my body is still healing.

Maybe it's time to check in with your surgeon.  Nausea isn't uncommon and there are meds for that.

And if you're having a problem getting anything other than soup down, it could be that you have the beginnings of a stricture.

I agree with cinwa. Check with your surgeon and get an upper GI done. This doesn't sound right to me.

I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op I was doing great moving to the solid foods until today. I had 1/4 of a turkey patty and 30 minutes later I threw up for the first time. Is this normal?

It can be normal, yes. Remember you have to chew chew chew. 15-30 chews per bite. You should pulverize and liquefy everything before swallowing. A big lump of solid turkey landing down there could certainly come back up.

I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op I was doing great moving to the solid foods until today. I had 1/4 of a turkey patty and 30 minutes later I threw up for the first time. Is this normal?

If you throw up, it usually means you ate too fast or didn't chew enough. It's taken me a long time to slow down.

It can be normal, yes. Remember you have to chew chew chew. 15-30 chews per bite. You should pulverize and liquefy everything before swallowing. A big lump of solid turkey landing down there could certainly come back up.

Well, I thought I had chewed everything thorougly. It was well over an hour after i ate when I lost it. just making sure it's normal or at least part of the learning process.

I've had it happen also, normally when I overfilled my sleeve. Until the pylorus opens, if you eat more than the capacity of your sleeve, the food will sit in your esophagus, which can cause you to hurl. It can also cause reflux and heartburn.