navywidow

I just don't get it...

15 posts in this topic

Hi...I don't know if anyone remembers me but I had the gastric bypass surgery back in Nov of 2011 but it was unsucessful.  Because of my anatomy my dr had to literally undo it right then and there.  My vessels were too short to rearrange as necessary up to my stomach etc bla bla...I lost about 40 lbs due to pre surgery diet and due to just having stomach surgery.  well in April of 2012 I went in for the lap band but in my mind it's been horrible.  Anything I eat thats good for me like chicken, vegetables, etc...well they get stuck unless i eat tiny bites and chew forever..Ok I get that..but when I eat that way I can eat forever...it just goes on through so whats the point?..I started picking foods that were easier to eat and went down easier and of course were more fattening.  The dr lectures me all the time to make sure i only eat lean meats, veggies, fish etc only...well If I could live off of that diet I wouldn't be here in the first place!  I was hoping...and the way I thought the band worked is I would eat my food and get full after just a few bites because I would have this little pouch etc like the other surgery..That I would eat lean meat etc and be too full to eat any more..but instead it either 1) gets stuck and is painful or i have to vomit to get it up or 2) eat tiny bites and slowly but I dont get full as it just goes through or 3) eat higher calarie softer food...Needless to say I have lost nothing with this band in over a year..have actually put on about 15 lbs of the weight I had lost..its so frustrating..I'm afraid to go in for another fill as don't want more pain..and don't want to hear how I need to just eat "right" all the time..because eating only healthy 100% of the time hurts and lets face it who can live off of lean chicken, fish, veggies forever..None of us would be in this forum if we could.  Don't get me wrong..I do eat healthy foods most of the time...We try very hard to eat right even tho it hurts to do it..but I dont really get full..I do eat much slower as I have to wait for the food to pass down and get unstuck all the time. This is the crazy part..I have never been a sweeet eater, junk food eater in my life (I just ate too much of what I did eat) until this last year but I have developed a sweet tooth and want icecream all the time (im sure because it goes down easy) .  Ug..I'm just not sure what to do..sigh.  "Dieting" has never worked long term for me or I wouldn't need the surgery..and thats the way I have to be now to lose anything...a strick diet of heathly foods..no cheats..ever!...Well I can do that without the band or any surgery just as well..but it gets OLD...I just wanted to be able to eat a few bites of food...get full..and be done.  Not have pain wtih every bite. I sooo wish the gastric bypass would have worked for me:((

Sad

Cindy

Cindy, I am so sorry to hear the band isn't working for you after your disappointment with your expected bypass:( {{{HUGS}}} I really don't have any advice except to perhaps try to find a more empathetic and proactive surgeon who is willing to work a little harder to find your "sweet spot." I really hope you figure out how to make this band work for you. Maybe somebody with band experience can pop in and offer something a bit more helpful. In the meantime, hang in there...

LatinaCurves likes this

Gastric bypass doesn't keep you full in the long run either.....people regain weight with RNY too. The small bites and you're full lasts just a few months. It forces you to learn to eat differently. Habits and sweet tooth are hard to break and people find ways to sabotage themselves. Carbs and fats stimulate the feel good chemicals in out brains and we find ways around things that make us feel yucky. Many people have a hard time losing weight with the Band, too easy to suck down high calories liquids.

Are you seeing a therapist or part of a support group? There's a lot of emotional stuff tangled up in your weight loss efforts.

Actually, I think a lot of us ARE here because we knew we needed to eat healthier, and got the surgery to help us cut down on the TYPES of food and the AMOUNT we ate.  I, personally, have not had ANY sugar, bread, rice, pasta, fatty meat, or junk food since my surgery in February.  I wasn't successful before surgery because I could always find a way to justify eating "just a little" of something that was unhealthy -- that grew into a LOT of something. 

Just because I always ate whatever that fell in front of me in the past does NOT mean I need to do it in the future.

I think any WLS is about making a Choice to do better, getting the tool, and then working on it.

I'm very sorry that you have had so much difficulty with your Band, but if you thought eating would have been easier with GBP, you would have been disappointed.

There are still many things I cannot eat, and will make me sick if I try.  If I take too big a bite and do not chew it forever, it will hang.   Sure I could eat only slider foods, but that would be a complete waste of all the time and effort I've put into this.

No matter what surgery you have, you have to make sacrifices in order to succeed.

Edited by MJreadyforaChange
Harley_Quinn1291 likes this

I had my lap-band surgery in August of 2008.  I lost 13 lbs. in the first week and a half - I thought it was the miracle I had been looking for.  Of course, once you're healed from surgery, you can eat easier.  I went for a fill.  My Dr. came into the office, had me lie down, popped the needle in my stomach, handed me a cup of water to make sure it would go down and was on his merry way.  Unfortunately, the fill didn't change the lap band...  I was thinking that the fluid must not have gotten into the port or something.  I went through this three more times - the 3rd time, I said to the dr...  Look, I don't feel anything different and you can tell by the slow weight loss to no weight loss.  I asked if there was a posibility that the fluid was not getting into the port.  The dr. seemed irritated that I suggested such a thing and he said, yes, it went in.  After that visit, I asked the receptionist to arrange an appointment with one of the other Drs. and she said that since this Dr. did the surgery, he was the one I needed to see for fills.  I asked if there was a way around that and she said I could make appointments with others if this particular dr. was not in.  So I made an appt with one of the partners.  When I went in, I explained the situation.  I told her I wasn't trying to question the abilities of the Dr., I was merely telling him what I noticed which was no change... you would think the Dr. would have taken me seriously and checked it out.  Well the partner checked me out and discovered that my port was sideways... somehow it had slipped during healing.  She said it was not a problem, but you would definitely need to know it is sideways if you want a fill to actually be successful.  She did a fill and I felt a difference.  Unfortunately, and I take responsibility, by this time, I was so disenchanted about all of the running around I was doing (I was taking trains between home/work/dr. office and it was very time consuming and tiring.  So I stopped going... My highest weight loss was 27 lbs... 17 of which I gained back.  Now in 2013, I am in the process of having my band removed with a different Dr. and to have a Gastric Bypass which is what I feel I should have done in the first place.  I saw the Dr. last week and he said that I only needed the cardiologist's clearance to have the band removed.  I was also told that I would need to see the nutritionist for 6 months prior to the gastric bypass.  When I had the band done, I only had to see the nutritionist for 3 months.  I called the Dr. office today to see if they had checked on the time (3 mos. vs. 6 mos) and I was told that I needed to go to the nutritionist for 6 months BEFORE I GET MY BAND OUT!!!   WHAT!!!???  I told her that the Dr. had told me I just needed Cariologist clearance for the band removal and I needed the nutritionist prior to the bypass.  She said, no, he is in his medical world, he is not in the insurance world.  I am so sick to my stomach right now.  I had it all figured out... I was going to get my band out in the next month and then by beginning of October have my bypass done.  The nurse told me that she would check with the dr. and see if he could write a different recommendation to see if we could move things along.  I had told the Dr. that foods that never bothered me before are now bothering me... heartburn, etc.  We'll see what happens...  I feel your pain.. and I just don't get it either!  I hope once I've fulfilled all of this that I am ultimately approved!

flax likes this

I had a band (GOD am I ever glad to write that statement  HAD A BAND, past tense, gone forever),  I now have a sleeve.   If there are complications with the band, you usually don't need the whole bariatric clearance thing to get it out, but if you want both procedures in one setting, then yes.   The way they test the band is to withdraw the saline to see just what is inside, my port was flipped almost upside down, they all do it with time and scar tissue.   Sounds like the band netted the  typical results for you,  about 20 pounds.  Gov Christie will find out the same thing.  

Now,  let me say that the sleeve is also a restrictive procedure and I know I have to watch every calorie or rather, the TYPE of calories I eat from now on,  it's not a metabolic change.

Bottomline,  at least for me,  there is no easy way, no one is going to do it for me,  just because I can swallow a food or a cookie or a donut or whatever, doesn't mean it won't be utilized for fuel and NOT turn into fat.    It's a numbers thing.   Calories in, Energy expended and excess calories stored.    No easy ride for me.

karen

Edited by KarensTurn

So sorry you're feeling this way...  I highly recommend anyone who has the lap-band to check out these two youtube channels, links provided below.  Wendy and Melanie are two women who have had very successful results with the band.  They both have been banded for 3+ years and both not only reached but exceeded their weight loss goals.   They offer tons of useful information that anyone with the band would find very helpful.  I know because I myself am banded (11/2007) and have been following them for a long while.  I loved loved LOVED MY BAND when it was "working".  I lost 70 pounds total with it. I was a slow loser and I was very okay with that.  What's the rush? Losing something even if it's a little bit is better than gaining in my book. But sadly I had band failure in 2/2012.  Therefore, I've decided to seek revision surgery.

I completely understand what you mean about processed, sugary and/or junk foods being easier to eat.  What I've learned and come to accept is there are ways of getting around that, it just takes more work, dedication and more importantly the desire.  I mean if there's nothing else more severe going on with the band like slippage.  Just give these girls a shot and check out some of their earlier video's especially… wish you much luck! 

http://www.youtube.com/user/bandedwendy

Yes the problem is the doctors have not figured out how to cut out the part that made us fat to begin with.

Marie, I have a question for you. As a long term Gastric Bypass patient, did you experience a rebound? I see from your profile you are still very close to your goal weight, but with my current situation, (in my Log Book) I'm just wondering about others.

In short, my sleeve worked great for 3-1/2 years, but developed a large bulge, or cul-de-sac near my esophagus. It actually traps food and is slow to empty, causes me to have reflux and allows me to consume too much volume.

I'm scheduled for revision on 25 July to remove the bulge and tighten my sleeve. The good news is that I only regained 35 lbs of the 90 that I lost, so I'm starting from a lower high weight. Also, there are some newer techniques being employed now, and the surgeon will be using a smaller bougie than he did in 2008.

Mahy of the reasons above are the clear reasons I went witht he Gastric bypass. It's the oldest of them all, and has far more research to support issues and success rates.

As for the OP, I'm truly truly sorry to hear what you're going through and I certainly can relate on the food issue. But I 100% agree with someone above, you need to try to locate the issue within before working on the issue on the outside. sounds like you're fighting a lot of issues and you need to really look into those before traveling down another WLS road. The band fails people just like the rest of the WLs's fail people. If you don't realize that its only a tool to assist in weight loss and not a 100% success rate magic spell, then any of the procedures will fail you. Gastric bypass patiants have the ability to drink milk shakes, eat cakes, eat bread, eat cups of sugar.. Our systems don't prevent it.. It does on some patiants REMIND you why you shouldnt have them with dumping.. but not every WLS patiant has that.. The key to gastric bypass, to never push th elimits to find out you can have sweets.. Once you realize you can have sugar and carbs without getting sick, theres nothing left restricting you from over indulging in those things.

This is a life style change from day one. If someone cant realize that and accept it almost immediately, then these procedures will fail them. I wish you all the luck and I hope you can come to terms with yourself that you eat to live not live to eat.

Karebear71 likes this

Did you try Roca Labs formula? It's been helpful to people with the lap band.

Yamani -

Thanks for brining this thread back up to the top.  Im 4 months downrange of my previous post.  I had the revision and am now at a new low and still losing.

Cute, creative avatar photo BTW.

Av

20 pound rebound....I'm also hitting middle age and it's settling on my hips big time.

Hi...I don't know if anyone remembers me but I had the gastric bypass surgery back in Nov of 2011 but it was unsucessful.  Because of my anatomy my dr had to literally undo it right then and there.  My vessels were too short to rearrange as necessary up to my stomach etc bla bla...

Yeah, I was in surgery for 5 hours for similar reasons. Ultimately, I imagine he used a bowel stretcher, if there is such a thing.

No complications, I'm doing fine.

Aviator likes this

The terminal problem with Lap-Band is this:  It is a mechanical device.  ALL mechanical devices have an oprational life expectancy.  The bio-mechanical statistics are available as a public record.  That is just a fact.  The device WILL fail eventually.  It is not, never has been, and never will be a PERMANENT solution.

When you sign up for lap band, you sign up for the surgery to install it, and a 50% chance of a second surgery to have it removed.  Usually this means a revision to VSG or RnY.  You also sign up for a procedure that has a statistical 36% excess weight loss average as opposed to 60% or more for VSG or RnY.

I know Dr Callery wrote an past article about the lap band being designed to last the rest of your life, but new studies show otherwise:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications/story?id=13187452

Isn't it intuitive that any device that requires regular 'fills' (injecting fluid in a closed volume) means the fluid is leaking out?  The seals are elastomeric and they fail.

KarensThin likes this

I refer to it as "the EVIL" lap band, it was the worst decision I could have made.   As I look back, I think that I was still in some sort of fantasy land that I could "do it myself" and I didn't want a permanent surgery.   Well,  that BAND caused more and more problems and I got into a rut of eating bread and ice cream, because it was about the only thing I could eat.   Yes, I am sure someone is now shouting at the computer  "Geez Lady,  switch to greek yogurt!!"   but it happens ever so slowly and then there's the GERD,  the Achalasia,  diabetes out of control  and weight is up again and BMI over 40.

Av is right,   you pay to get it "installed" and you pay to have it removed.    WHY in the world would any of  us go through the approval process,  2 surgeries,  2 pre-op diets and all of the circus HOOPS for a STUPID PIECE OF PLASTIC????????    

Personally, I don't care what a doctor says about longevity for the BAND,  it was a Temp idiot solution for me.     Whew,  I feel better now.      Having the sleeve, I know the real feeling of restriction and I NEVER had that with the band.  

Aviator likes this