tryingtobethin

How much time off?

30 posts in this topic

From memory I had about six weeks off- I'm a nurse- 

Sixela12 likes this

Karen, I'm a nurse too. I do a lot of bending, lifting, and pulling in PACU. I plan on taking a full six weeks after my RNY. Besides, I'm going to use that time to get rested and adjusted to my new eating pattern.

angel0524 likes this

My job is pretty sedentary, but I am a single mother of three young children.  I planned to take four weeks off so that I can rest while my children are at school.  I am one week post-op and so far, I think that was a good decision.  I managed this first week with a lot of help from family members.  Next week I will be on my own and at my current pain and energy levels, I am certain that I can manage parenting and household duties OR going out to work, but not both.  The pain decreases and my energy increases every day; so we will see if I can go back to work earlier.  But it is nice to have the extra time in case I do need it.  My doctor agreed with my line of reasoning as he feels that it takes a lot of time and energy just making sure I stay hydrated and get enough protein post-op.  He is a little concerned about my being a single parent, even while I am not working.  I told him that it is a good thing that I am a very determined individual!

Aviator likes this

I have a low physical job. I teach high school. I came back to work after 10 days and I will tell you, it is difficult.

I am extremely tired. It is difficult to be up on my feet all day, walking around the classroom, bending over, and also trying to get enough fluids, protein shakes and stage one food in is hard.

But on a more positive side, I notice I am getting stronger everyday. However, it is much more difficult to get the liquids in especially since I commute more than an hour each way.

I took 2 weeks off and was fine going back to work on week 3.  My only challenge going back to work was that I was still in the liquid diet phase, so I had to be careful to make up shakes the night before or buy the premade ones.