tryingtobethin

How much time off?

30 posts in this topic

I am trying to wrap my head around this entire process.  What is the average time off from work people take. I have a low physical job and hope not to take too much time off.  Any thoughts?

Hrairoo likes this

This is something you need to talk with your surgeon about but I've seen people returning to a sedentary job at just one week out.

I wouldn't recommend that - 2-3 weeks is more like but others have had longer.  I had an umbilical hernia repaired with my RNY and as I have a 70lb lifting requirement at work, I couldn't go back for 8 weeks.

Yes, I suggest you talk with your surgeon and also investigate your benefits at work. I have short-term disability which pays 100% of my salary for up to 6 weeks. My doctor said that I should stay off work until my first post-surgical checkup which will be 3 weeks + 4 days after my surgery. So, that is what I told my workplace. So far, all is going ell.

My surgeon would not give anyone a letter for longer than 3 weeks unless you had complications.  With that said, I stayed off for 3 1/2 weeks since my surgery was mid-week.  My supervisor has some Monk-type issues and needed me to come back on a Monday. lol  I could have gone back the week before but just didn't since I had plenty of leave to cover it.  I think I would have fought a little more with exhaustion by the end of the day if I had gone back earlier.

I have a very sedentary job and I took three weeks. That worked well for me. I just had shoulder surgery and this time I am off almost six weeks. Two surgeries in two years kind of sucks. But who knew?

I have a desk job and took three weeks off.   I could have gone back after two, my employer's disability would have paid me 100% for four.  I pretty much chose when to go back.  After two weeks I'd gotten into my new routines but was still a little tired.  Even at three weeks, I was tired but pushed myself to get back in the swing.    

I took 3 weeks, and was tired when I went back to work.  I took naps at lunch and after work for the first 3 weeks after going back.

I took 4 weeks went back 3 days then took another 2 weeks . I still had pain in my side. It was hard to concentrate on work.

I'm 8 weeks now doing great.

I say 6 weeks in my option if you can.

I had my surgery on a Wednesday and went back to work the following Monday with no problems. It really just depends on the individual.

Aviator likes this

I went back to work after a week with a sedentary job, but worked 2 four day weeks after I came back.

If you have lifting requirements, I'd start with 3 weeks off with the understanding that you may need more time to recover. You might be just fine after 2 weeks though. Depends on your body. ;)

Aviator likes this

I have a desk job and went back to work after three weeks. My surgery was on a Wednesday, so returning mid-week was a good move: it meant a short two-day week to ease myself back in to things!

I was still a bit stiff and sore, mainly from my many and varied bruises, so sitting up straight in front of the computer was hard work at times but I made a point of stopping every hour and stretching my legs. I was also pretty tired, so the 7am starts were pretty tough but I'm back into my routine now.

Everyone is different and everyone recovers at their own pace, but my surgeon recommended a minimum of three weeks for a non-physical job.

Good luck!

I took 2 weeks off, as I had to take Non-FMLA leave (non-paid).  I would really have liked to have had 3 weeks off, I was exhausted and in pain by the end of the day the entire first week back.  Lots of naps!

I had my VSG surgery on a Thursday, and was back at my desk the following Tuesday. I do not have a physical job. My work happens between my ears. I really found myself bored hanging around the house. I hate daytime TV. I had no problem driving, and I figure sitting at the house or sitting at work is about the same thing.

klm43 likes this

I also asked this question.  I had my surgery on the 8th and returned to work on Monday the 20th, it was about a week and a half off.  I actually felt good enough to go back that Monday in all seriousness, but I decided to use the time as a little vacation instead.  I took a few day trips and packed a cooler with my full liquids. :)  Had I known that I would have felt that good, I definitely would have scheduled a REAL vacation!

eta: I was REALLY tired though that first week.  I had my boyfriend drive everywhere and I was taking naps in the car, but I really wasn't in any pain (a little discomfort at the incision sites) and there were times I forgot I'd even had surgery after that first week.

Edited by hayleyca
katzilla likes this

I do think Gastric Bypass must me a lot different than VSG in terms of required time off. My VSG procedure took only 40 minutes and there were only two small incision sites and one slightly larger one. (There was no permanent scarring.) I spent only one night in the hospital. Pain was evident mostly in the first couple of days when I activated my abs, by trying to sit up but was easily managed.

Regarding work, much depends on how you feel about your job. For me, I love what I do, and really I hate taking off. At this writing, I'm actually on vacation, and wanting to get back. I realize not everyone is in this situation.

I will say, the younger you are, the easier it seems to be.  I had laproscopic gall bladder surgery when I was 17, and I was playing tennis two days after I got out of the hospital.  I had a c-section at 20 with complications (stitches burst) and was getting around pretty good after about 4 days.

This had me in discomfort for a little while longer.  Might be that I had better muscle tension at 17 and 20 than 36.  ;)  I remember saying, "Boy... it's harder this time around..."  ;)

I took 2 weeks off from my sedentary desk job, and I wish I had taken 3. I was completely exhausted when I came back to work- to the point where I would get home every night and go to bed right away. Luckily, my bosses were really understanding and let me nap during lunch. It helped a lot :)

I took 4 weeks off.  I tried coming back after two, but my side hurt so bad that I made a 1/2 day and took the rest of the week off.  Tried another 1/2 day on week 3, but ended up staying home again because my side hurt so bad.  I do have about a 40 minute drive to work and even though the majority of my job is desk work, I still have to bend, lift, reach for things, and make other tedious manipulations with my hands while standing.  On week 5, I came back part time and worked about 6 hours a day and napped almost every evening after I came home.  Was up and running full time after 6 weeks and haven't looked back.  

All depends on your job situation and how fast you heal.  I usually am up and running pretty fast, but this surgery pushed this stubborn lady back a few paces!  I had a left knee scope with some pretty significant repairs done in 2005 and I was up driving a stick shift car and going back to school for my 3rd year of pharmacy school within a week.  Just needed a pretty sturdy knee brace for 6 weeks.  

Klhoe likes this

I'm having surgery on Wednesday 7/31 and planning on being back to work on Monday 8/12.  We'll just have to see how it goes.  I just took vacation time from work, and nobody has a clue that I'm having surgery.  If I need to extend it, I will.  My job is very demanding and I work long hours. 

I'll let you know in 12 days if I've completely lost my mind or not.

Aviator likes this

Further to the above:

My surgery was last Thursday, July 25th. It was my second time under the knife and took a lot longer (2.5 hrs) than the first time. I also had a hiatal hernia repair.

I will make an appearance at the office tomorrow for a short time, work a half day Wednesday, and a full day on Thursday, one week after surgery. Today, Monday - 4 days post-op - I'm having no pain whatever. My only trepidation is the full liquid diet and how to cope at work.

Edited by Aviator

I had bypass on  7/2/13 and was back at work on 7/9/13.   I don't feel like I should have taken any longer.  It was important to me to get into my daily schedule as soon as I could so that I could establish my new routine.  I am a nrse, but my work is not that fast paced.  I didnt have any problems with my energy levels.  Guess it all depends on the individual. 

Aviator likes this

I actually went back in today for a short time. Day 5 post-op.

LeavingLardass likes this

You go Aviator!

I am 5 days post op and I did a few hours of desk work today without any problems. I just came home from the hospital yesterday.

I'm not taking any pain meds at all. I'm confident that I'll be okay to get back to work next Monday!

Aviator likes this

You go Aviator!

I am 5 days post op and I did a few hours of desk work today without any problems. I just came home from the hospital yesterday.

I'm not taking any pain meds at all. I'm confident that I'll be okay to get back to work next Monday!

You do what you have to do. I cannot fathom taking off a month for any reason, short of sudden death. :)

I would go berserk sitting at home doing nothing. I'm very happy to see you getting back in the harness so soon too.

Edited by Aviator

I was a certifiable workaholic before surgery, and I'm sure I will be one after :)

Aviator likes this