2Bme

mid-day snacks- no fridge

7 posts in this topic

I apologize if this is already covered somewhere. I could not find it.

I found I need to eat every 2 hours. I have slowly started making some bad choices, and am revamping my food choices.

I work in an office/store. I have my own office and desk, and can have snacks in there. The room stays around 76 degrees or I freeze. That is my idea temperature.

I need snack ideas that I can keep at my desk that do not need to be kept cold. I do not have easy access to a fridge and the lunch box cooling bags just don't keep things cold enough.

Please, what suggestions do you have? What has worked for you?

I am already doing mixed nuts. I am thinking protein, healthy, crunchy (preferred), and not messy.

For me to feel satisfied I need to chew and crunch. Otherwise my brain says it still needs to eat. Gum helps some but really doesn't cut it.

Thank you!

that's a tough one since it cant be kept cold. I do turkey jerky, quest protein bars. which the protein bars fill me up for hours.

Agree on the turkey jerky. Nuts.  Protein chips if you can find them (I buy online at www.mybariatricpantry.com), but only if that won't lead you to regular chips.  Also, in the deli section at WalMart they have Kitchen Table Bakers Parmesan Crisps.  If you like parm cheese, these are kind of like having a crispy, crunchy chip.  My nut warned not to eat them every day, though.  If you can bring a lunch bag with an ice pack, you could also try celery or carrots.

Dry edamame (soy beans - they come in wasabi or plain and sometimes other flavors).  Trail mix.  Dry/crispy cheese (what's it called, I can't remember).  Jerky or meat sticks.   You could probably bring a yogurt or cheese stick for the morning but you'd have to do that every day and eat it fairly early in the day.  Protein bars for sure. 

I have hypoglycemia issues and to try and keep my blood sugars up, I have to eat something every 2 hours (even less sometimes).

I always have little baggies of Seapoint Farms roasted edamame with a few pieces of dried fruit for that salty/sweet thing.  1/4 cup of roasted edamame  has 130 calories and 14g of protein.

You can find them in some grocery store - there's a good selection on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_grocery?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Seapoint%20Farms&node=16310101

A few raisins added - I like the golden ones best but grocery stores have a pretty good selection - a couple of Sunsweet Prunes snipped into pieces with the roasted edamame is good, same with their dried apricots and pineapple.

Agree with the ideas above for jerky, nuts, trail mix, parmesan crisps, dried edemame, etc.  I also like the Ostrim beef/ostrich sticks (lower sodium and high protein) and Kay's Naturals Protein chips.

Have you tried the icy/cold packs in an insulated lunch bag? Those work well for me, so I can bring greek yogurt, cottage cheese, salad, etc.

Celery and peanut butter or cream cheese?

I always like to make "muffins" out of my protein powders - especially the tomato soup ones. Just add enough water to wet it, spray a bowl or cup with PAM, and nuke it for about a minute or so - you're trying to dry it out. I especially love putting some bbq spices or italian spices in it. Yummy and protein! You can do the same thing with the sweet ones too. I used to put my lemon "batter" into my waffle maker, putting a little lemon zest in it. Delish!

Edited by Ms_Independent