vagabondbabe94

Anybody else have a physically demanding job?

I am wondering how much time I should try to get off work... my surgeon says to take off as much as you feel you need, but I am a cashier at a supermarket so going back to work too soon would be bad. I am thinking three weeks, but I really don't want to make my bosses mad by taking off more than I need to....

Maybe I answered my own question typing this. Lol :)

That's a tough one. At 3 weeks, I began easing back to work part time but definitely couldn't go back full time until about 6 weeks. I always recommend a person take as much time as they can since not only do we have to heal, not be miserably sore, and not set yourself backwards with exhaustion, we also have to learn how to eat and drink in a whole new way. That can be very difficult to do if you jump in to work too soon. This is a huge step towards making yourself as healthy as you can be. You definitely want to do it right. Better to take too much time off than too little... as long as your finances will allow;)

For me, I am planning to take 2 and 1/2 weeks off, but I will extend it if I have too.    I do not have a physically demanding job, but the commute to work is a killer.  60-90 full filled minutes of constant braking and fear of someone rear-ending me or vice versa on the freeway.  I bought a childs sand pile yesterday to keep in the car with a wash cloth in case I have to vomit in traffic.   TMI !!!!!      I think my response time for  braking may also be effected by pain or guarding of pain,  so I will have to be essentially pain free and feeling pretty good.      

I also work in a supermarket, part time in the deli.  I'm planning to take 21/2 weeks off, and I think it will work out ok, as long as I don't have to do any heavy lifting.  I am 4 days post surgery (gastric bypass) and already off my pain meds. I will need a doctors note to have a water bottle at work.

I am also very interested to hear from other members about this- I am a veterinary technician (constantly restraining large animals, lifting big dogs, bending and stretching, etc) Plus I have a 60-70 minute commute (each way, via public transportation) every day. I have been reading that two weeks is the norm.... I am just wondering if I should be looking at taking more time than that given my very active job. x___x

Tsu13,

I have a 70lb lifting requirement and along with having an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as my RNY, my surgeon told me that he wouldn't sign me off until 8 weeks out and my employer had to have that in writing.

I am a Kindergarten teacher and I took 3 weeks off.  That first week back and really the 2nd was tough (and I was able to sit a lot)  If I had it to do over and had the option, I would have taken 6 weeks.  I think if you could pull at least 4 weeks it would be better and that 4th week really concentrate on upping your walking and getting your body ready for standing all day.

Sonya

I agree with the 4 weeks. I needed every day of that 4 weeks