sjoara

Cannot eat for days at a time....HELP.

8 posts in this topic

Ok, its a bit complicated and hectic to say the least, but I despise my band. I was banded 2 yrs ago and I have had nothing but problems. TRUTH be known, I have let things slide because I just assumed they would "go away"....or it would get better, but for over 1 yr, I have just delt with the discomfort, pain, being miserable and the INABILITY to eat but maybe twice a week. I drink copious amounts of coffee to attempt to stay "full", majority of ANYTHING I try to eat gets stuck, its been this way for nearly 1+ yrs, I can never eat in mornings or afternoons and many of the times even in the evening, I usually have to wait until dark/night time to try to eat anything. And its never a meal, just little bites here & there. Again, the pattern has been that I can get lucky & eat maybe 2 days out of the week, and the rest of the days its just coffee as coffee seems to be the one thing that doesnt get stuck (too much-although it does a lot) Even water "sticks" me, or ONE skittle, or a small tspn of peanut butter! Im hungry 90% of the time, but this is how I have lived and its not getting better.

I am here on these forums because I am desperate and not sure where to turn. I had a fill put in Feb. (Gosh knows why, I just thought AGAIN, this time around would be different) But that was back in New York. I have since moved to West Virgina and do not have a Dr. yet. I know some would say "why did I never say anything to my Dr. about this and thats out of my own stupidity, I was nieve, I just thought it was something I was doing so I remained silent for over 1 yr and even up to my last fill. Again, I just had it in my head all this would go away, but I have endured more than an average person would allow themselves to "suffer" this way, my sister thinks I have gone bonkers because I never said a word.....but now you know my reason.

I am so sick & tired of NOT being able to swallow or eat food, last week I got to eat a bowl of gravy on a Saturday and 4 days later I was able to eat some sauted shrimp, this is a typical week for me, going w/out food for days and then getting "lucky" as I call it and being able to get something(anything) down because I am so desperate to eat! I have hadnt anything all day to eat, its been 6 hrs since I woke up, I had coffee  a few cups, I tried to take one measley bite of popcorn piece and I have been stuck for over 20 mins, this is so typical of everyday life. What should I do. Is there anybody else who has experienced this nightmare?

mbmapp likes this

I don't have any advice on your band issues. But I would recommend getting to see a doc. Not sure where you are in west virginia, but I go to the bariatric center at WVU. Both dr marr and dr quinlin are very compotent. Not sure about other parts of the state but you should discuss these issues with a dr.

mbmapp likes this

Agree - this needs to be looked at by a doctor.

mbmapp likes this

yep, it's my story exactly, you have dysphagia (difficulty swollowing) and if it continues things can get worse. I am having my band OUT 5/22/2013. it's caused so many problems. They will do a few tests to check your stomach and the actual band placement, it's worth the cost, because my esophgus has become horrible, they took all the saline out of the band to elivate pressure. I ended up being able to eat just ice cream, that caused me to regain 30+ pounds. It's a REAL problem so go see a surgeon.

mbmapp likes this

sounds to me like the band is too tight. and never eat popcorn that is on the do not eat list. see if you can get some fill taken out

mbmapp likes this

You are definitely too tight and have probably done damage to your esphagus because you haven't gotten it taken care of. If you even get stuck on liquids you need to get unfilled. My guess is you need to be completely unfilled and see what kind of damage has been done. You need to see a dr ASAP. It is beyond unhealthy to go days without eating and to live on coffee. Can you at least try to get in some protein shakes so you arent lacking so many nutirents? Good Luck and please see a Dr SOON

mbmapp likes this

Aweeee! Thank you all so very much for your advice and helpful suggestions. I truly appreciate it as I finally feel a small sense of hope as I have felt so alone in this for over a year! I have felt so helpless and devestated, so it helps to see others offering soem friendly comments.

I was unfilled  back in Nov. 2012 up until I had the last fill put in March 2013 and as CRAZY and insane as this sounds, being unfilled I STILL had problems getting basic food(s) down, again, even coffee would get "stuck" and for some unknown reason after a few months of NO fill, I went back and got a fill in simply because I thought AGAIN, maybe it would be different, but when I am filled or unfilled it seems to be the same, I just cannot seem to eat food w/out getting "stuck" and feeling constant discomfort.....and truth is, I am just tired and hungry & frustated..... and I am going to make plans to see a baratric Dr here in WV, its about 2 1/2 hrs away, but it will be so worth it, At this point, I am desperate and willing to try anything to get this corrected. Many times too, I feel constant burning, almost like heartburn and sometimes its so unbearable I want to go to an ER just to get it to stop. I definately feel I have done damage as I waited to soooo long and because I force myself to throw up anytime I eat food because it gets "stuck" and I  try to remove it because it hurts so bad. Thank you again so very much!

I just put a long post in about getting the band out in June and being converted to RNY, but I have had the band for 6 years and it was a nightmare. I had a total unfill and tried to lose weight on my own but got nowhere, so I worked with a new doctor for over a year, with extensive documentation that the band was a complete failure, and because my doctor was so good at making sure he proved the band failed me, I didn't fail the band, it is coming out and I am moving on. Best of luck to you. I wish I had known the complication rate back in 2008.