JRH

Psychiatric Evaluation

I guess we all have to have a psychiatric evaluation pre-op.

I just hope I can "pass" mine. Let me explain. 

Not really going to get depressed about the surgery or its consequences, I have too much to gain like VA replacing my knees and needing less insulin and not being as likely to have a heart attack. (At my age, that is an issue).

But.....

Today I had a DRO hearing with the VA. DRO is acronym for Decision Review Officer. I took exception to the decision VA made on my 2009 disability claim, and this hearing is the end result of that taking exception.

Long story shorter, my attorney rocked the hearing, which was formal and on the record (recorded and transcribed). It is very likely I will be granted a service-connected rating for TBI (traumatic brain injury), PTSD induced by TBI, and depression induced by TBI. While this will greatly increase my monthly income, it might be problematic to a psychiatrist deciding if I can be successful in WLS.

However, I'm just going to be honest, and opine that since VA already medicates me for depression (I don't have to include the "chronic severe" part do I?) I am insulated and monitored already for depression, so its not like it will happen and nobody will know to give me help.

The civilian shrink doesn't need to know about the TBI or PTSD, other than the cognitive disorder component of PTSD, which means I have to write everything down or 15 seconds later its like I never heard / read it. So I line my meds up on shelf with a cheat sheet on the inside of the cabinet door, and my food plan will be mapped out for months at a time including prep cooking and processing. So my ability to compensate has been improved greatly over the decades since I got injured in the service.

Still, I worry about everything, so I'm worried about this. LOL. :wacko:

Yay! I "passed" my psych evaluation and my surgeon signed off on it. Just 5 more dietician classes and insurance approval to go. :D

The cool thing is we covered everything and the psychologist looked at my meds and therapy schedule and liked it all. Besides, I have formal weight loss attempts pretty consistently not successful but adhered to since 2004 or thereabouts, which she liked.

I can do this!

Edited by JRH

Boy, you sure got them snowballed.

(Kidding. :)

See? And you were all worried for nothing. :)

Congrats. Keep the ball rolling. There is NO doubt it's worth it!!

Congrats!  Those psych evals are something else.  The one I took was about 350 questions on a computer. One of the questions was about hearing voices in my head.   I finished it in a very short time (I am a fast reader), and when i took it to the desk, the secretary asked me, "Did you finish the test already?" 

"Yes I did." 

"Did you read all the questions?" 

"Yes I did."

"How did you do it so fast?"

"The voices in my head gave me the answers."

The look on her face was priceless!

@dfsfw57 - :wacko:

I don't even talk about the voices in my head to my VA psychiatrists anymore. They always want to spend weeks helping me work through it. I'm sorry, guys, it is not going to get worked through. Move along.....

They were incessant for the first decade after I got out of the Army and for the last 3 years I was in the Army. Let me tell you, an Airborne unit commander (officer) with voices telling him to cut the main away and pull the ripcord on the reserve, is not a good thing. And once the voices won, and I did, and landed a reserve 'chute pretty hard. The soldiers thought it was great, but the Major was not amused.

Well, I was already messed up. Thank goodness decades of therapy and getting tired of getting in trouble have combined with good drugs to tamp down most aberrant behaviors. Mostly. ;)

Edited by JRH

JRH, my post was not meant to sound like I was coming down on you and what you have been through at all.  It was more a comment on how ridiculous some people are.  I felt like the woman was questioning my intelligence and reading skills, so I had to be a smartass.

I told my Wife when he showed me the paint splotch cards I would tell him they all looked like some sort of food. LOL I chickened out because he seemed a serious fellow like most in his field.  I was honest about my Depression and family history.  He seemed to be supportive of my having surgery.  I don't think he would get much business if he shot to many people down.  I should be O.K.  I have done really well on everything else so far.  I've almost lost my 5 percent body weight as required.  Hope to have surgery in Oct. or Nov.  Best wishes