ForensicCrimeLab

Grapes?

5 posts in this topic

I am curious as to why grapes shouldn't be eaten because of the skin. I tried some yesterday (and am only 6 weeks post-op) and they went down just fine. In fact, they helped me to have a bowel movement, too, (I assume because of fiber) as we all know how constipation is a side affect to RNY. I just chewed them up really really well and I couldn't even tell that there was a skin there. Is this wrong?

I eat grapes frequently and have had no trouble. I was never told not to eat the peel. Just as you do, I chew them up REALLY well.

The things I have heard, where the problem could arise, is that the skin is so fine that it can get "stuck" or caught up I your healing suture line causing possible infection or it can help "pry" open the suture line. When your surgeon gives you restrictions regarding fruits and vegetables and when you should be allowed to eat it, there is a possible health risk associated with it. Thats why its best to avoid the "do not eat list" re. foods until you are healed or deemed ready by your surgeon. They arent giving you restrictions about certain food because they think you cant handle it.. or digest it. Follow your surgeons rules to a T!

I am curious as to why grapes shouldn't be eaten because of the skin. I tried some yesterday (and am only 6 weeks post-op) and they went down just fine. In fact, they helped me to have a bowel movement, too, (I assume because of fiber) as we all know how constipation is a side affect to RNY. I just chewed them up really really well and I couldn't even tell that there was a skin there. Is this wrong?

I was at a nutrition class the other day at Sharp hospital and they said it was OK to eat grapes, but it really had no nutritional value, and that if you were to eat them you should remove the peel if your surgery has been less than 3 months.

I have to agree with Bridget on this one. Your surgeon isn't being mean by telling you not to eat something. Mine told me that there were some digestive risks involved with grape skins (raisins too). I was also told never to eat coconut again (doesn't matter, I didn't like it in the first place). Sure there's fiber in the tiny little fruit, but there is also plenty of natural sugars that can cause you to dump this early out.