• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ForensicCrimeLab

ForensicCrimeLab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:04 PM

I am curious as to why grapes shouldn't be eaten because of the skin. I tried some yesterday (and am only 6 weeks post-op) and they went down just fine. In fact, they helped me to have a bowel movement, too, (I assume because of fiber) as we all know how constipation is a side affect to RNY. I just chewed them up really really well and I couldn't even tell that there was a skin there. Is this wrong?
Carpe Diem - Sieze the Day!

Michele ([email protected])
Surgery date: 02/13/06
Weight on surgery date: 229 lbs.
240/229/200/130
Highest/pre-op/current/goal

#2 Gina

Gina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:05 PM

I eat grapes frequently and have had no trouble. I was never told not to eat the peel. Just as you do, I chew them up REALLY well.
Gina
386/176/190
210 pounds gone!!!!
Century Club May 26, 2006
DOUBLE Century Club 4/11/2007
GOAL 3/20/2007
Tummy tuck/skin removal July 2, 2007

Lap RNY 12/21/2005 Dr. Stewart

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfection is not the goal....

#3 bridgetgirl

bridgetgirl

Friend of TT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA
  • Surgeon:The Great Charles Callery MD
  • Hospital:Pomerado Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:300
  • Current Weight:170
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):15
  • Surgery Date:02/09/2004
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:11 PM

The things I have heard, where the problem could arise, is that the skin is so fine that it can get "stuck" or caught up I your healing suture line causing possible infection or it can help "pry" open the suture line. When your surgeon gives you restrictions regarding fruits and vegetables and when you should be allowed to eat it, there is a possible health risk associated with it. Thats why its best to avoid the "do not eat list" re. foods until you are healed or deemed ready by your surgeon. They arent giving you restrictions about certain food because they think you cant handle it.. or digest it. Follow your surgeons rules to a T!
J.Bridget Fisher
Find me on facebook; bridget.fisher
Twitter: bridget_fisher

[email protected]

"People will argue with you that getting what you want in life isnt something you can learn, if youre destined to be one of the worlds winners as opposed to one of its perpetual whiners, its because you have been born with the right talents and temperament and have a big dose of self-esteem, ambition, and good judgment." Kate White

#4 chrisie_92020

chrisie_92020

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:26 PM

I am curious as to why grapes shouldn't be eaten because of the skin. I tried some yesterday (and am only 6 weeks post-op) and they went down just fine. In fact, they helped me to have a bowel movement, too, (I assume because of fiber) as we all know how constipation is a side affect to RNY. I just chewed them up really really well and I couldn't even tell that there was a skin there. Is this wrong?

I was at a nutrition class the other day at Sharp hospital and they said it was OK to eat grapes, but it really had no nutritional value, and that if you were to eat them you should remove the peel if your surgery has been less than 3 months.
:) Christina

330 /310/142/160
high/surg/curr/goal

Surgery done/Dr.Callery
03/24/06:p

#5 Alleusion

Alleusion

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  • LocationCobourg, Ontario
  • Surgeon:Dr. Taller - NMCSD
  • Hospital:NMCSD
  • Surgery Date:10/25/2005
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:14 PM

I have to agree with Bridget on this one. Your surgeon isn't being mean by telling you not to eat something. Mine told me that there were some digestive risks involved with grape skins (raisins too). I was also told never to eat coconut again (doesn't matter, I didn't like it in the first place). Sure there's fiber in the tiny little fruit, but there is also plenty of natural sugars that can cause you to dump this early out.

Jenny
299/287/147/155
Lap 10-25-05
Emily Elizabeth born 03-25-08...a miracle 2 years in the making...
followed by
Tristan Alexander arrived in time for Christmas on 12-16-09